Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 10:31 AM

478 posts, read 690,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Of all the Central Valley cities which have shown the most signs of gentrification and which have declined the most ? I visited Fresno recently and my impression was that the Tower District was devastated by the pandemic.
Tower has always been that way. See-sawing between could be great but on the verge of possibly going bad.

And due to as mentioned below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
The Tower District has always been, even in good times, iffy, at best. It's about the closest thing the CV has to an "arts" district, where all the eclectic types and shops are. Problem with that is, all of the money in Fresno is in central and north/northeast Fresno and Clovis. The folks there are gonna stick to the strip malls of Target, Kohls, and Applebees.

Most Tower locals are broke-a&&. So no wonder it's gone downhill.

I think Fresno has pretty much given up on anything south of, oh, about Shaw Ave. They occasionally pay some token lip service to give the impression that they care. They don't. The growth and money continues to be north and northeast. Eventually, gonna merge with Madera and then butt up to the mountains.

Now Tulare, where I live, that's a town that's not gentrifying; per se. The entire west side, west of the railroad tracks, is also pretty much a lost cause. It would need to be completely leveled and started over from scratch. Patchwork infill, like south Fresno, isn't gonna work.

Tulare is absolutely exploding in size; I know of at least four all new subs being built. All on the east, north, and southeast sides of town.
Tower has always had plenty of potential but as you said, those who live in and around it just aren't the high income earners which generally will flock to the nicer suburbs in North Fresno, even SE fresno and of course clovis. For good reason, why would they? Unlike similar neighborhoods say in SF, SJ, Sac--neighborhoods similar to Tower District are close to lively energetic downtown and close to the white collar jobs and have a lot of the cool hip stores/restaurants/bars/etc. Meanwhile in Fresno, Tower has more of the cool-edgy vibe (for fresno standards) but it lacks everything else. There are no white collar jobs there, nor a thriving downtown closeby--downtown is close but it is no where close to the same levels of energy that the aforementioned cities have. The trade off is low for someone to live in the tower, so if they have money to spend it elsewhere they will. There also isnt enough that isnt in the nicer parts of fresno/clovis for those residents there to come down to tower and stimulate it's economy and spend money there.

I will say those who are tower residents are passionate about their neighborhood and try to keep it as nice as they can. But unfortunately its also one of the more affordable areas in the city and surrounding areas even more so which will naturally attract the less classy of citizens. Tower could help with more gentrification, and people claim its happening, but I dont see it. Until there happens to be a big tech company close by that opens up and high income earners live there, it will just continue to stay as is and only increase in price by the overall market trends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
It's also not hard to see why Fresno has gotten such a bad rap over the years. If your only experience was passing through on the 99 in either direction, yes. Agreed. All of it, from Herndon all the way to Jensen looks moribund, decrepit, and like a concrete jungle. Very, very bad first impression. All duly noted. But venture inland a bit, especially along 41 and/or 168, especially north of Shaw, and trust me, a completely different picture reveals itself.
HA SPOT ON. Fresno has no curb appeal AT ALL. Best chance of improvement is the fresno county line going southbound on 99 to the HErndon exit. With the HSR viaduct and market place at el paseo improvements and new veterans blvd over pass, its starting to look decent, but after that, MEH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 10:50 PM

2,894 posts, read 1,994,903 times
Local congressman said that he's working on bringing grant money to upgrade the Fresno airport.
They want to put in a second terminal ASAP.
Fresno airport will get about 1/5th the amount of passengers that Sacramento will get this year, but could be cutting the number down to half once the terminal is installed!

Fresno will be adding at least 5 electric city buses next year because of grants.

Only 2-3 are in use at the moment.

Developer wants to put 196 units in a blighted part of downtown Fresno. He Mentions it after his abandoned building burned down today. Hopefully, this speeds up the process.

https://abc30.com/downtown-fresno-fi...ters/11264486/

Old 11-24-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Local congressman said that he's working on bringing grant money to upgrade the Fresno airport.
They want to put in a second terminal ASAP.
Fresno airport will get about 1/5th the amount of passengers that Sacramento will get this year, but could be cutting the number down to half once the terminal is installed!

Fresno will be adding at least 5 electric city buses next year because of grants.

Only 2-3 are in use at the moment.

Developer wants to put 196 units in a blighted part of downtown Fresno. He Mentions it after his abandoned building burned down today. Hopefully, this speeds up the process.

https://abc30.com/downtown-fresno-fi...ters/11264486/
didn't realize that building belonged to Terance Frazier. There has been some history between him and city officials and his business ventures. And just the reputation of how things are ran in the city of Fresno, wouldn't be surprised if there was some inside job that resulted in his building being burned down lol

I think the FAT airport has advanced greatly these last few years and still on its way to greater growth. This will be good for Fresno and central CA. They have to go with the flow and ride the whole Fresno-Yosemite name for the airport to bring tourist to fly directly to Fresno instead of flying to LAX, SFO, SJC to visit the national parks.

Old 11-24-2021, 03:48 PM

Amazon is building a small facility in southeast Fresno. It's taking over the old swamp meet/drive in theater.

https://thebusinessjournal.com/see-w...ity-in-fresno/

Home prices went up in October for Fresno, which is a rare thing to see.
I think home prices keep going up until late spring.
Low 400s is what I'm expecting to see before there's a price drop.

I'm predicting Sacramento prices to flat out this upcoming spring. And for Boise, SLC, and Austin to see price drops. More room for growth in Fresno than those markets.

Drone footage of fresnos first mixed use property. Lots more will be coming

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=otjjah7pHfo

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 11-24-2021 at 04:01 PM..

Old 11-24-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
didn't realize that building belonged to Terance Frazier. There has been some history between him and city officials and his business ventures. And just the reputation of how things are ran in the city of Fresno, wouldn't be surprised if there was some inside job that resulted in his building being burned down lol

I think the FAT airport has advanced greatly these last few years and still on its way to greater growth. This will be good for Fresno and central CA. They have to go with the flow and ride the whole Fresno-Yosemite name for the airport to bring tourist to fly directly to Fresno instead of flying to LAX, SFO, SJC to visit the national parks.
Hawaii will bring in the wealthy Asians, while NYC will bring in the Europeans. City is going to have to do something to cater to wealthy tourists. Not doing anything would be leaving money on the floor.

The county/federal government needs to also invest in kings canyon. It could be a competitor to Yosemite if more money went towards it. I wonder if sequoia is hogging all the money.

Hume lake would be the perfect place for a hotel.
Just gotta kick out those Christian's first, lol.

Old 11-24-2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:

Drone footage of fresnos first mixed use property. Lots more will be coming

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=otjjah7pHfo
yo that building actually looks nice. makes that intersection of blackstone/mckingly look decent for a change hahaha.

Old 11-25-2021, 04:21 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
A Vision Of Merced’s New Promised Land:

https://mercedcountytimes.com/a-visi...promised-land/

Old 12-03-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
A Vision Of Merced’s New Promised Land:

https://mercedcountytimes.com/a-visi...promised-land/
I already posted that but your link has more details. Thanks. If you get more info on new projects, post em here. Appreciate it.

Oldest building in Fresno has been remodeled, and will become market rate rentals.
Held building is the name.

https://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/op...256106142.html

Luxury hotel in Clovis has opened. Looks more mid market than luxury to me, but it's nice. I drive by it everyday, and I'll be checking out that restaurant soon.

https://abc30.com/amp/clovis-marriot...rant/11186900/

A lot of new flights to Mexico are coming to the Fresno airport(most of the vacation towns). Nothing has been announced. That's just what my airport buddy is saying

Old 12-04-2021, 05:38 PM

Fresno water tower has been turned into a cafe. I think other improvements have been done, too. Here's a new picture.

Checked housing today and it looks like prices are slowing in Fresno. However, Bakersfield is still seeing increases. Sucks if you missed the boat, tons of good deals were had this year in bako.

Edit:
Price drop in wealthy fresno neighborhood

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...18783244_zpid/

This would have been 300k 6 months ago.
It's a good investment house

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...18749397_zpid/

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 12-04-2021 at 05:53 PM..

Old 12-05-2021, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Fresno water tower has been turned into a cafe. I think other improvements have been done, too. Here's a new picture.

Checked housing today and it looks like prices are slowing in Fresno. However, Bakersfield is still seeing increases. Sucks if you missed the boat, tons of good deals were had this year in bako.

Edit:
Price drop in wealthy fresno neighborhood

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...18783244_zpid/

damn that house was a straight FLIP

originally listed at 6/29/2021 for $625K, negotiated and closed at $545K on 7/29, then back on sale now for $800K

looks good though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California