Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 10:35 PM

814 posts, read 580,354 times

Advertisements

For a few years, my spouse and I owned a 19-foot Airstream and had some wonderful camping experiences. We sold it a little while ago and have missed it ever since. My husband's health is not good and anything we get at this point will have to be something I can handle on my own.

Camper vans look relatively easy. They aren't the cheapest and a drawback would be the inability to go very far without have to unhook everything. Travel trailers have the advantage of being set up and left if you want to drive anywhere.

I'm looking into getting a new vehicle, one which will have a decent tow capacity. One way or another, we need a vehicle.

As a 66 y/o woman who has never actually towed a trailer, which would make more sense? A camper van or a 16-foot Scamp? Or maybe a 16-foot Bambi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 09:05 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
We own a camper van. The plus is easier to drive and set up compared to a truck/trailer set up. I always had trouble backing up a trailer. The plus of a trailer you can unhook the vehicle and easily sight see. Slight pain with the van, but doable.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Camper Van is very easy and convenient.

My mom switched from a Roadtrek to a Rialta when her DH became a double amputee. Using a ramp, his motorized wheel chair could drive right in and park next to sink, then he could swing from that position to seats, bath, and bed. She loved her campervans, as well as her 1974 Toyota Chinook, which started her single gal camper craze.

She also had Trailers / and Class A motorhomes, but was never without a campervan for a quick and easy trip.

I bought my wife a 'Woman's Motorhome" 15 hrs ago... very good decision... still pristine, and quick and easy to use + 18 mpg!! (under 65mph). Huge shower, as well as Generator, AC, Microwave, and all set up with cabinets and storage for quilting and sewing + a huge rear picture window to back-up to a scenic overlook and spend the the day sewing and reading, and napping (Tetons, Beach, lake in a National park...)
Winnebago Rialta Motor Home

She'll be just fine RVing without me, as we take a lot of solo vacations and meet up in nice spots. I prefer dirt backroads and a motorcycle and tarp for the extent of my camping gear. We meet for a few days then branch off to our own destinations. I can throw my MC on the back of the MH and drive between beautiful and interesting parts of the country, then take off from there.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I would suggest the van. With a decent sized trailer, you cannot see when reversing and need another person to watch for you. We have a 25' trailer and there are many safety tasks before going out that are hard enough for me, my wife wouldn't ever try to do. For example, torque the wheel lugnuts, checking tire pressure, lifting/installing the weight distribution hitch )weighs over 90 pounds), hooking up safety chains.

Old 07-08-2021, 02:59 PM

814 posts, read 580,354 times
Thanks for all the advice so far.

Here's another aspect of the situation. I'm about to buy a new SUV with a great tow capacity, not that I plan to tow anything big. Would it really be that scary for me to consider looking at the 16-foot Scamp? It would be more cost effective than purchasing a new camper van, although the camper vans are mighty tempting.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
Thanks for all the advice so far.

Here's another aspect of the situation. I'm about to buy a new SUV with a great tow capacity, not that I plan to tow anything big. Would it really be that scary for me to consider looking at the 16-foot Scamp? It would be more cost effective than purchasing a new camper van, although the camper vans are mighty tempting.
Sure, you can buy a Scamp (I have a cousin selling a Casita at the moment, but I think they will be sorry, as the Lance they just bought reduced their fuel economy by 1/2. )

But... depending on your driving needs (NEW SUV?)... I would have an economy beater car for cheap mileage and commute, and a nice USED campervan for occasional fun. My daily econo car costs me <$0.03/mile, including the cost of the vehicle. Tires are $5 at the local wrecking yard and not $150 each (as will be a good SUV tire). Brakes ($30) every 80-100k, instead of every $400 @ 40k (Heavy SUV)

You can find pristine used Campervans for under $30k. Sometimes under $10k

Econo car... I bought most of mine for under $100 each. They get 50 mpg on free homebrew fuel. 3 million miles and never needed to be towed to a fix-it shop.

Personally... I consider towing to be a real PITA and also dangerous for most drivers (I'm a CDL truckdriver for 40+ yrs, have seen a lot of carnage)

Old 07-08-2021, 06:49 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
In this situation I would go with a van. This from someone who is a pickup and trailer fan. A van will be easier for you to handle.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I would still go with a van. Keep in mind that a 16' Scamp is actually closer to 21' when you add the length of the tongue assembly. Add another 17' for the SUV and you are driving 38' of steel down the road. Backing it into a camp space or your driveway is also a challenge for the inexperienced, especially if alone.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:44 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would still go with a van. Keep in mind that a 16' Scamp is actually closer to 21' when you add the length of the tongue assembly. Add another 17' for the SUV and you are driving 38' of steel down the road. Backing it into a camp space or your driveway is also a challenge for the inexperienced, especially if alone.
It takes practice to back a trailer. The biggest trick is to hold the bottom of the steering wheel when backing. You turn the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go. Also, small inputs are usually best.

Old 07-10-2021, 07:42 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
The fact that once you arrive at your destination you detach the trailer is what would work best for me. Unless you plan to never leave the campground.

A lot would depend on how long you plan to camp and where you want to go.

FWIW, I think class B vans are a lot of money for what you get. The class B folks I've seen in campgrounds are always outside in their folding chairs. There isn't much room inside them. So what happens when it rains for 3 days straight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing