Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 01:40 PM

90 posts, read 289,920 times

Advertisements

There seem to be mixed reviews on KOA memberships, so I thought I would add to the confusion. A KOA membership will cost you $24 a year, and give you 10% off each visit. If you camp a lot like I do, it will pay for itself and then some. You also get members only exclusive deals and offers, which can vary from KOA to KOA. You earn points and can redeem those points for free stays. It also gives you discounts with Allstate RV Roadhelp, Coleman, Cruise America, & Budget car rentals, just to name a few.

KOA's do offer a lot, and tend to be more geared towards families, which is why I like them. We like to either tent camp or stay in the cabins. Tent camping is reasonable, considering the amenities. The cabins are priced in a range just above RV spots and just below budget hotel rooms. The thing I like about staying at a KOA instead of hotels is that there are activities, other than a pool, that my son can enjoy. It feels more like being in nature.

Yes, you can find some KOA's in need of renovation, but that can be said for State & National Parks as well.

Anyway, my point is that the KOA membership, in my humble opinion, is well worth it if you camp quite often and have a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 08:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
I agree with the others - it depends on how much traveling or camping you will do. What people like about KOA's is that when you're traveling, you don't have to go looking for them, they're almost always very conveniently located, they're fairly standard - you know what you're going to get, and it's great if you're traveling with kids or dogs, some even accomodate horses.

Some of the state parks are almost as convenient to the highway if you're looking for a place to stay when traveling but some of them require not only the $24 or so per night but a state vehicle pass on top of it which puts them close in price. The KOAs beat the cheap motels because you don't have to worry if the sheets got changed and they're usually a lot quieter, you can hear the frogs or cicadas at night, and the birds in the morning, you can cook out, sit outside around a campfire and really relax after a night of driving. Kids can get out and swim or hit the playground and the showers are decent but you can find cheaper camping.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:11 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
We just received t GS special offer for 3 years at $33 and a free night at one participating campground. Looks like a great deal for us....

Old 02-01-2013, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 15,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6genet View Post
Hi all, my wife and I just got our first travel trailer, a Keystone Bullet. Our first few trips will be some Arkansas state parks, close by for trial runs. After that some weekend trips to MO, and TN.

So, my first questions or many more to come, Is a Good Sam membership, or KOA discounts really necessary?

Thanks all,
Kevin
my wife and i are full timers. we bought a 35' southiwnd and two a vehicle. in answer to your question.... it kinda depends on how much money you have and weather the 10% 3.00 actually makes a difference to your budget. we have found that most places will give you the good sam or aaa or just breathing discount just for asking... if you are looking to camp a lot and really want a money saver, i would look at thousand trails zone pass. its only 500 bucks and you get almost unlimited use of the campgrounds for only 3.00 a day with 30 days for free. .... our rig uses that as soon as i plug it in and fire up the auto tracking saetlite dish. we have had it and so far everything they say they would do, they have done. dont be in a hurry to spend money to get discounts. you have plenty of time to research all the different people out there wanting your money. if you do get a member ship or just travel from place to place, the best advice i could give you would be to plan your trip so that you get to the park durring the DAYLIGHT HOURS. anyway, good luck and hope to see you out there.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,695 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Passport America, and Escapees are the most popular ones I know of (thx for the hint on TT 'Zone Pass')

Old 02-02-2013, 08:26 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I agree with the others - it depends on how much traveling or camping you will do. What people like about KOA's is that when you're traveling, you don't have to go looking for them, they're almost always very conveniently located, they're fairly standard - you know what you're going to get, and it's great if you're traveling with kids or dogs, some even accomodate horses.

Some of the state parks are almost as convenient to the highway if you're looking for a place to stay when traveling but some of them require not only the $24 or so per night but a state vehicle pass on top of it which puts them close in price. The KOAs beat the cheap motels because you don't have to worry if the sheets got changed and they're usually a lot quieter, you can hear the frogs or cicadas at night, and the birds in the morning, you can cook out, sit outside around a campfire and really relax after a night of driving. Kids can get out and swim or hit the playground and the showers are decent but you can find cheaper camping.

KOAs offer 2 advantages over other campgrounds:

1) the showers always have hot water
2) most campsites have full hookups

I always have problems with the black/gray water tanks in my trailer getting full when I stay a week at a campground without full hookups.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:47 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,788 times
I always got my dues + when I had Good Sam Membership and their directory always seemed up to date and factual.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:43 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,521,460 times
Join SAMS for the towing and road service and insurance. It is the AARP of camping. ;-)

Old 04-24-2013, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 13,601 times
Just joined GSC

Old 04-25-2013, 05:59 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,040 times
Are these both the same Good Sam?

Get a Good Sam RV Insurance Quote Online | Good Sam VIP

Compare RV Roadside Assistance Plans | Good Sam

How much would the $112.95 rv insurance go up the 2nd year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing