Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 02:25 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,549,632 times

Advertisements

We eventually plan on a 2 month road trip. We've tossed around the idea of getting either a small 5th wheel or a small motor home. I like the idea of having a vehicle to unhitch so we can go out to restaurants, and see the sights once we're parked for the night.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 04:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,747 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Get a Class B conversion van with a tent / canopy and a light (but FAST) motorcycle

Roadtrek, Pleasureway, or similar.

It is SO nice to have a camper van (slip back to fridge for a 'cool one', stealth-camp ANYWHERE, take a NAP anytime, EZ to park in big city or small country road, EZ to fit into small campground, economical to buy and drive, EZ to re-sell).

Old 06-13-2013, 09:48 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,244,181 times
I've done a little traveling with a couple small motor homes. You're correct that they're a little cumbersome for running errands in. I think one was 25' and the other about 30'. If your travels will include spending time in any cities, they're too big. If you'll be spending your time going from national park to national park, they can be okay, but there still may be times you'll want to rent a car for sightseeing.

And I've traveled quite a bit with truck campers. That works well because you can park about anywhere a car can. I've been coast-to-coast in them, to Alaska and back and across Canada. I much preferred that to a motor home if it's enough room.

We've had 24-30-foot 5th wheel campers for the past 13 years. They pull easily (with the right truck) and are easy to hook and unhook. Even with our small ones, they were more roomy than the TC or MH, but they're still a handful to maneuver -- back up, turn around, park. IOW, you'll want to unhook it before taking off for sightseeing or a run to the store. That means you've always got to come back to it. Sometimes that's inconvenient, like if you're camping in northern Yellowstone one night and want to travel to Teton Nat'l Park for the next night. Then you've got to haul the darn thing with you as you sightsee.

If there was a pat answer for everyone, there wouldn't be different types of RVs. How many of you traveling? How long would you be staying at each campground? Where would this traveling be? Do you currently own a pickup? If so, what size?

Old 06-14-2013, 08:54 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,022,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
We eventually plan on a 2 month road trip. We've tossed around the idea of getting either a small 5th wheel or a small motor home. I like the idea of having a vehicle to unhitch so we can go out to restaurants, and see the sights once we're parked for the night.

What are your thoughts?
You kind of lost me when you stated you liked the idea of having a vehicle to unhitch to get around in.... That option is there no matter if you choose a 5th wheel or a class A so I'm not sure how that comes into play...
What type/class of RV you choose is a personal choice based on numerious things... Often the first thing that comes into play when people start looking at RV's is what are you most comfortable driving....do you have any experience operating/ driving one or the other....both a class A and 5th wheels have pros and cons based on what type of camping you will be doing....
What are your goals with the vehicle after your two month trip?
A little more info would be needed from you before we could offer you any advice.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:27 AM

32,665 posts, read 48,091,772 times
I'm a big fan of travel trailers. Unhitch, set up camp, and then you are free to go out and sightsee.

Where I camp, if you leave your campsite, there will be someone else in it when you get back. Leave your trailer there and you still have a campsite.

Unless you really need that luxury that the 5th wheel provides, I prefer a bumper pull with a pick-up or van, where you can pile all the lawn chairs, barbecue, and firewood in the back of the pickup for for ease of loading and unloading.

The problem with a motor home (unless you are just renting one for a couple of weeks) is that you are paying for a motor and transmission, and all that motor type care, for a vehicle that only goes out a couple of times a year.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,747 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
...Unless you really need that luxury that the 5th wheel provides, I prefer a bumper pull with a pick-up or van, where you can pile all the lawn chairs, barbecue, and firewood in the back of the pickup for for ease of loading and unloading.....
good points in this post, and others.

we need more info...
1) do you have a tow vehicle TODAY?
2) If you buy a tow vehicle, will you keep it for future?
3) preferred budget?
4) long term plan?. (what will you do with this stuff later) SELLING an RV is a serious thing to consider if this is a need within 2 yrs. Many RV's are for sale 2+ yrs.
5) What is terrain / campgrounds desired.
6) How many days 'out' at one time.
7) how many and what age are WE?

Lots of options, one might be best. Maybe something all together different.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:25 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,131,440 times
I live in a 28 foot Airstream (Tow Behind/Travel Trailer or TT)

I am a BIG FAN of NOT having your motor in your house.

I am a Good Sam member... $100/Year and they will tow me to the nearest service station. And I'll have a place to stay while the truck is being worked on.

Besides, with an RV, anything cheap enough... will be suspect. Whereas you can get a inexpensive TT in good shape. (Not having to worry about the motor)

Old 06-15-2013, 05:58 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times
We've had all three at one time or another. TT, Fiver and now motorhome. All three have their advantages and disadvantages, so I'm going to ask the big question. Budget? Because until you answer that question it all becomes a moot point. The differences in price (I'm assuming your going to buy the rig and not rent) becomes the main issue. Honestly, a Class C or A are the easiest travel wise. So if your going to be moving daily it would be my top choice. If your going to hook up and spend some time in a few select locations and use as a base I'd go with the fiver.

Then you need to figure out what things are important to you. Do you plan to dry camp? What kind of campgrounds, resorts, or state parks you want to stay in. Next, do you want to "camp" or do you want the comforts of home while you travel? Buying the wrong RV for your families needs will make you unhappy in the long run, so weigh your options carefully.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:09 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
We eventually plan on a 2 month road trip.

We've tossed around the idea of (renting or borrowing but never actually buying)
either a small 5th wheel or a small motor home.
Using a 5th wheel requires having a big dam truck to pull it.

If you don't own one of these then using a 5er ALSO requires renting or borrowing
(but never actually buying) the big dam truck needed to pull it as well.

Quote:
I like the idea of having a vehicle to unhitch so we can go out to restaurants,
and see the sights once we're parked for the night.
Nice. How close to such places do you suppose the camping sites are?

For two months... plan your route and stops better.
When near the bigger cities with sights and things to do... get a motel room.
Then rent a car for the weekend and supply re-stock errands the RV will need for the week.

As I see it... your only question is whether to RENT (or borrow) a Class A or Class B.
Have fun.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Yes I agree with those who say there are advantages and disadvantages in all. I think the thing to do is go to an RV show or a place that sells them that puts no pressure on you at all but lets you wander around and look, take your time, check out everything and decide for yourself what feels right.

Some have a lot of luxury and features but even if you had the money, you couldn't really imagine towing it or it fitting in with how you like to camp and/or travel. Make sure you get the right vehicle, but you don't have to also buy a big diesel if you go with a lighter bumper pull trailer. Even the very smallest ones have all the "essentials" like bathroom, shower, refrigerator, stove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing