Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 02:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Most of the people who life in camp grounds lost there homes and bought cheap used trailers or motor homes. The generally are permitted to stay for a week to ten days.

They are homeless, and it isn't a pleasant life.
I don't think that's most -- not by a long shot. I would suspect you'd find more of those people in some of the motels than in campgrounds.

There is more a sense of adventure when it comes to campgrounds. Retirees who may stay 3 to 6 months because they like the climate, people who are on extended trips but prefer having outdoor space around their own living quarters. Many could stay in hotels but don't want to.

One of my nieces lived in a campground for a while - she was exploring, on an adventure. She and her friend - another girl - planned to live out of their van but it got cramped so they rented an old camping trailer at a campground, but they easily found work -- and needed jobs. Completely stable working types. My dad became one of those "snowbirds" in his later years, 2 week vacations weren't enough and he would work as a campground host so he could stay a few months. He wasn't homeless by a long shot -- they had to board up a house and a lake cottage for the winter when they went south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,791 times
Then there are seasonal workers for other trades, people from out of province or state find local work for the summer they stay at a park in a trailer then when summer is over, they move home. Some municipalities or counties do not allow permanent residences in campground parks, the reason is missed tax dollars. They force them to stay out for 2 mnths.
Story read here: [URL="http://www.woodallscm.com/2007/07/ontario-town-renews-rv-park-exemption/]Ontario"]www.woodallscm.com/2007/07/ontario-town-renews-rv-park-exemption/]Ontario[/URL] Town Renews RV Park Exemption | Woodall's Campground Management

Post office refuses to deliver mail:[url]http://www.therecord.com/news-story/2589188-trailer-park-stripped-of-mail-service/][/url] Trailer park stripped of mail service

Bottom line is they will force people out of a private property on some law or policy such as municipal code bylaw / building code / plumbing code / or electrical code, unfortunately these older trailers didn't have much code stuff comparted to todays trailers.
M

Old 03-29-2014, 08:58 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,579,814 times
There are no bad days when camping.......

Old 03-29-2014, 10:16 AM

16,108 posts, read 10,775,000 times
I saw a documentary that estmated that there is about 3,000,000 folks roaming around the US and going from one campground or RV park to another based on the seasons or temporary work. I guess direct deposit and on-line bill paying makes it easier to not have a permanent address for retirees. I would think that someplace has to be "home" for drivers' licenses and voting and some kinds of mail.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:22 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,579,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I saw a documentary that estmated that there is about 3,000,000 folks roaming around the US and going from one campground or RV park to another based on the seasons or temporary work. I guess direct deposit and on-line bill paying makes it easier to not have a permanent address for retirees. I would think that someplace has to be "home" for drivers' licenses and voting and some kinds of mail.
There are several companies that will rent you an address and forward your mail on demand to wherever you happen to be. usually takes appx 5-7 days to get your mail. You may also tell the company ahead of time which mail you would like forwarded or trashed. You may also use the address to get your dr license, car tags etc and use it as your HOR.... FYI

Old 03-29-2014, 11:42 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,444,764 times
South Dakota, Florida, and Texas are the big 3 for full-timers on the road when it comes to mail forwarding companies. It takes less than 5-7 days now, with the advent of online scanning combined with email

Old 03-30-2014, 02:36 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,216,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litefoot View Post
There are no bad days when camping.......
As someone who loves being outdoors more than in, well said!

Old 03-10-2018, 01:54 AM

928 posts, read 971,472 times
Wife and I are thinking about becoming summertime camp hosts in California this year. We found a storage spot to keep the rig possibly 22 FT. at during the winter for $2 a foot or $50 bucks a month. This all sound to good to be true! If anyone has any suggestions or advice about any of this, please post. I will respond ASAP, we are excited and still unsure of the untested waters.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:25 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,770,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrider62 View Post
Wife and I are thinking about becoming summertime camp hosts in California this year. We found a storage spot to keep the rig possibly 22 FT. at during the winter for $2 a foot or $50 bucks a month. This all sound to good to be true! If anyone has any suggestions or advice about any of this, please post. I will respond ASAP, we are excited and still unsure of the untested waters.
I've thought about camp hosting, but what puts me off is the idea of having to deal with people and their problems all of the time - I'm pretty much an introvert. If you love meeting people and solving problems, I think it could be a very satisfying way to spend your summers.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:45 PM

928 posts, read 971,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I've thought about camp hosting, but what puts me off is the idea of having to deal with people and their problems all of the time - I'm pretty much an introvert. If you love meeting people and solving problems, I think it could be a very satisfying way to spend your summers.
Thanks for getting back on this issue. Good points you brought up. We are thinking that we may get bored of the same place after a long stay. And there definitely will be people problems, but the rangers supposedly take care of the more serious issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing