Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:20 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times

Advertisements

There is no sales tax in Oregon. Our registration fees are low. However, you can not register a vehicle in Oregon unless you have proof that you are a resident of Oregon. If you buy the vehicle in Oregon and take it to another state, the new state will charge their sales tax as you bring the vehicle in and register it.

Oregonians can buy a vehicle from a neighboring state and not pay sales tax on it, but the dealership has to move the vehicle over the border and into Oregon before the buyer takes possession.

If you are looking for a used RV, OP, it looks to me like the lowest prices, by a long shot, are in Florida. I don't know what their sales tax and registration fees are.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:45 PM

558 posts, read 1,120,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
there ya' go ... Elkhart IN to Seattle is 2,200 miles.

You've got a long trip ahead with an RV to get it home. With $3.25 gasoline and maybe 15 mpg (I'm thinking smaller RV's, the bigger ones will not get mpg that unless they're diesel powered) ... that's $500 or more worth of fuel for the trip home plus the driving time and road expenses. If you "save" the delivery fees on a purchase there, how much will you burn in costs and time to get there and to bring the RV home?

There are very active RV marketplaces much closer to Seattle than 2,200 miles away where comparable deals can be found.
Never said it was most economical, just we are the biggest manufacturer. Chose your words more wisely.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:51 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
Never said it was most economical, just we are the biggest manufacturer. Chose your words more wisely.
The OP's concern was:

"Which state has the lowest taxes /fees for purchasing an RV? Pros and cons?"

Apparently, having the biggest manufacturing area isn't responsive to the OP's of economy of an RV purchase.

Perhaps you might "choose your words more wisely" in responding the concern of the thread.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:22 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,657,325 times
Although you will have to pay taxes when you register vehicle in your home state, you might consider flying to Arizona to purchase the RV. Many retirees think they want to live full time in one, buy it and end up selling it in AZ and purchase a home there. They have a huge inventory of RVs and many private sellers.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 19,938 times
I live in Hawaii but I'm finding myself on the mainland for business more and more. I travel to many states and I am considering buying an RV for use to live in while I am on the mainland. Hawaii will not register any vehicle without the vehicle being physically present in Hawaii for safety inspection and hawaii insurance. The safety inspection is mandatory for registration and needs to be done every year. There has to be a way to buy, register, and insure a vehicle in another state besides my home state. Does anyone have any idea how this can be done? I would, of course, prefer to buy the RV in a state without sales tax.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiguy View Post
I live in Hawaii but I'm finding myself on the mainland for business more and more. I travel to many states and I am considering buying an RV for use to live in while I am on the mainland. Hawaii will not register any vehicle without the vehicle being physically present in Hawaii for safety inspection and hawaii insurance. The safety inspection is mandatory for registration and needs to be done every year. There has to be a way to buy, register, and insure a vehicle in another state besides my home state. Does anyone have any idea how this can be done? I would, of course, prefer to buy the RV in a state without sales tax.
Domicile in SD (no income tax), one night per lifetime stay required to establish domicile.
Have a Montana LLC own your vehicles. (no sales tax or emissions)

There are companies that will set this up for you
Montana LLC
What About Using A Montana LLC To Avoid Sales Tax?

Once you have your MT LLC, you can buy the RV anywhere (without sales tax) and register it in MT. (keep your operating agreement handy).

I have stored my RV near Tucson, LV, Sacramento airports and fly in and out at will.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:08 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,577,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Domicile in SD (no income tax), one night per lifetime stay required to establish domicile.
Have a Montana LLC own your vehicles. (no sales tax or emissions)

There are companies that will set this up for you
Montana LLC
What About Using A Montana LLC To Avoid Sales Tax?

Once you have your MT LLC, you can buy the RV anywhere (without sales tax) and register it in MT. (keep your operating agreement handy).

I have stored my RV near Tucson, LV, Sacramento airports and fly in and out at will.
true ............. Also your best option

Old 03-25-2015, 05:28 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,657,325 times
We have several friends who purchase motorhomes in states they actually had to fly to pick it up. It isn't always a matter of "saving" rather than purchasing an RV that is in excellent condition. Our current motorhome (this is our sixth) was purchased new and although high end it has still taken two years to work out all the kinks. This is a common complaint of RV owners, lack of quality control. Whether it is a $500K model or $30K, we all have the same complaints. Also, depending on the state where you live, some charge a personal tax on vehicles and you have to pay every year on the value. Rather than focus on saving, I suggest you might concern yourself with the condition and quality.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
... It isn't always a matter of "saving" rather than purchasing an RV that is in excellent condition. ... concern yourself with the condition and quality.
yes, FINDING the right RV to buy will be the biggest challenge. Thus I buy "One-Owner / By Owner" It is EZ to find an OCD RV owner that has babied / cared / hassled with manufacturer to work out the bugs. You can search nationwide via internet for one-owner/by owner, and you can set up rsss feeds to inform you when one gets posted.

CA, AZ, FL are full of OCD RV owners who have 'found-home' or become too frail to travel and are selling their 'babies'.
1) get the MT LLC,
2) find the Vehicle
3) Buy it
4) Register it in MT
5) Go fetch it, or have it 'delivered' via a private service / driver.

RE: maint / punchlist for repairs: If you are traveling 'in and out' of mainland... you don't have time / need to drive to Indiana to get stuff fixed, and Camping World usually has a 'backlog'.

Very similar in new cars... I spend MUCH more time hauling my neighbors back and forth to dealers to get stuff 'Fixed' on their 'new cars', than time I spend 'fixing', my $35 beater cars.

Different strokes...

Old 03-28-2015, 01:05 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,896 times
Oregon's really cheap if you buy it there and actually are able to register the RV there. No sales tax and less than $100 for a 2 year registration on a brand new truck camper. Of course, Oregon doesn't tax on vehicle value so even a brand new luxury coach would also be $100 or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.