Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 11:28 AM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times

Advertisements

Lovely photos.

I've camped extensively with dogs. Camping is no fun without them.

I've got 2 small dogs and I have small kennels permanently installed over the dinette. The Australian Shepherd is the first dog I've ever owned who isn't allowed on the furniture (for good reason) and he sleeps on the floor on a a nice cushy dog bed.

Even when I had big dogs allowed on the furniture, they had to sleep on the floor in the travel trailer.

I take exercise pens for the little guys for outdoors and the big dog has an overhead trolley plus a large crate for times when attention can't be focused 100% On where he is and what he is doing.

Hiking wouldn't be the same without the dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 01:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,542,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
The last trip I did was just me and my boy Schnitzel. He sits in the front to get the best view...

My roof is electric. Just unlatch the 4 corners and hit the switch. Water is no worry- the material does not rot like canvas. I've put it down wet before- just put it up and let it air dry as soon after as you can. The roof is also carbon fiber- no rubber to deal with. No leaks, no issues. It's an awesome camper.
Sounds great. What model/brand is it?

Old 11-23-2015, 02:33 PM

19,823 posts, read 22,716,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Sounds great. What model/brand is it?

Mftg-Hallmark
Model- Guanella

New campers come with a hefty dose of sticker shock. I got this one used from their lot for a lot less. I got to tour the facility and it is very well run. A family run business, long time employees and they make a great product (and stand-by their products).

Very innovative with real advances such as the carbon fiber roof, useful storage space and one piece fiberglass counters. They also used various framing materials from Coosa, aluminum and pine. During my second trip to Westby I was accompanied by a friend that owns a restored Airstream (one of the smaller ones). He came inside my camper a few times and he was amazed at the storage I had. Under the bed, over the counter cabinets, under the counter cabinets and a larger cabinet behind the sitting/table area. Way more than his 18' Airstream. Plus I have a bigger bed (real queen size)..

Although he has more floor space and a slightly larger dining area, mine has enough to be comfortable and enough places to store my stuff.

Under bed storage

Storage above sink (I use the microwave to store bread, lol)

There are two cabinet units on the opposite wall with wood roll up doors.

Rear cabinet (tall)

And then there are all the cabinets below the sink. Three large doors where I store pots/pans, cutting board and cleaning supplies, then three smaller drawers under that. One for eating utensils, one for misc utensils and the third under the fridge for duct tape, tools and other various sundries. Plus there is storage under the seats (one drawer and one cabinet). I keep hunting knives, maps, flashlight and other 'things in the drawer) and paper towels, towels, T.P. and a "It's too cold to go pee outside big plastic jug", lol.

Lot's of storage. Very thoughtful.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:57 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,311,561 times
Drive it up to a Alaska next summer, great camping the whole way, plenty of free places to park too. Good luck on your adventures.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:48 PM

I will someday but there is whole lot of Montana I have yet to discover

Last edited by Threerun; 11-23-2015 at 09:36 PM..

Old 11-23-2015, 10:48 PM

Wow, those are nice campers. I found the website. The floor plan for your model on their website shows a toilet, but maybe your earlier model didn't have one? A porta potty is a must for me. All their campers are for full-size pickups and are still too heavy for my little 4 cylinder truck. They sure are nice, though. I'm jealous :-)

Old 11-23-2015, 11:00 PM

No- toilets are optional on the Guanella. Frankly I would not want a toilet in a truck camper. It's not that much bigger than a small wall tent, and I would not want a toilet in my wall tent. I'm very comfortable going outside. Been doing that all my life when camping, lol.

They make campers for smaller bed trucks, but they really don't recommend Tacoma sized trucks too much. Too light duty.

The way I see a truck camper- it is a tent with heat, a table, a stove, a nice bed and some storage. A comfortable refuge for the night or really nasty weather, but not large enough where you might want to 'lounge' in it. I hunt, fish, hike- so it serves a very nice purpose as a base 'tent'- just on the back of my truck. With a thermostat!

Old 11-24-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
No- toilets are optional on the Guanella. Frankly I would not want a toilet in a truck camper. It's not that much bigger than a small wall tent, and I would not want a toilet in my wall tent. I'm very comfortable going outside. Been doing that all my life when camping, lol.

They make campers for smaller bed trucks, but they really don't recommend Tacoma sized trucks too much. Too light duty.

The way I see a truck camper- it is a tent with heat, a table, a stove, a nice bed and some storage. A comfortable refuge for the night or really nasty weather, but not large enough where you might want to 'lounge' in it. I hunt, fish, hike- so it serves a very nice purpose as a base 'tent'- just on the back of my truck. With a thermostat!
Good point on the toilet. I agree that it's basically a place to sleep and get out of the weather and keep things dry. I'm going to have to do an even more basic version than you have, at least for now. If I find it's not enough for what I want to do, I'll have to save up for something bigger.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the photos. Beautiful dogs, by the way. I used to be married to a hunter. I never liked duck or venison, but I loved the pheasant and elk!

Old 11-27-2015, 11:23 AM

Going out next week for another round of bird hunting. It was -5 this morning (and no- I did not sleep in my camper last night, lol). Will be gone 12/2-12/8..

Man I love living in Montana..

Old 11-27-2015, 08:20 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,814,700 times
Quote:
Going out next week for another round of bird hunting. It was -5 this morning (and no- I did not sleep in my camper last night, lol). Will be gone 12/2-12/8..

Man I love living in Montana..
Montana would be the next place I'd live. I have it good here. But the mountains resonate with me. The plaines suit me well, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing