Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 04:27 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Full service RV dealer should help you,

Follow the forums on escapees.com
Yes--I just sort of have reservations about learning from a salesman
I wouldn't trust a car salesman to teach a newbie car driver, like a young teen.

There is a large RV dealership very close to our FL house...
Maybe I will suggest we go visit and see what kind of vibe we get...
Lots of RV dealers in our area and also 1 listed on the Escapees site but you are supposed to have your own vehicle from info on his web site...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 08:47 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,023,667 times
Lots of locations in both Texas and Florida that give driving lessons involving rvs but they all require that you bring your own rv. Many of your large dealers in Florida like Lazy Days, North Trail etc offer free classroom and behind the wheel training when you buy an rv from them

Old 06-02-2016, 10:09 AM

But that is the point
Until you drive one you dont know what might work
We had17ft i/o board trihull and husband never really got comfortsble pulling it
In Houston traffic and some smaller rural roads
No problems/dings but just never liked it
So I dont know if he could acclimate even w/practice
Why would we buy something to get lessons -- that is cart b4 horse thinking

Old 06-02-2016, 10:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
You could take a school or transit bus course, There are forward control / cabover configurations very similar to MH.

You could buy a $1000 used school bus and practice yourself! or hire a coach instructor.

Seach for local CDL instructors, some are bus specific.

As a 40 yr CDL driver with all endorsements (tanker/triple trailers/passenger) it is strange that RVs are not required to have a CDL equivalent.

MH challenges are a bit unique to HD trucks, MH has serious 'tail swing' and terrible brakes and suspension compared to a commercial truck? Most difficulties are in RV drivers forgetting about SIZE when they head thru the drive- up window ( or simlar) with their class A. Fuel pumps seem to stick out too far! And are attempted to shave them off.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:33 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,057,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Basically it is luck of the draw then as to how good that person would be at teaching ...

I saw web site called Escapees that has home office in Livingston TX
Offers lot of info/services for RV people including meets where you can do a "boot camp" as newbies to learn aspects of RV living
Had experienced people teaching how to drive various vehicles
Join Escapees.

There is a forum where you can ask questions and get answers from people that know. You do NOT have to be a member to post in the forum.

There are plenty of RV driving schools associated with Escapees. Pick one of them. You can always rent a RV and take the driving lessons in that.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:49 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,023,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
But that is the point
Until you drive one you dont know what might work
We had17ft i/o board trihull and husband never really got comfortsble pulling it
In Houston traffic and some smaller rural roads
No problems/dings but just never liked it
So I dont know if he could acclimate even w/practice
Why would we buy something to get lessons -- that is cart b4 horse thinking
Because every rv can be different so it makes little since to learn to drive/tow something that is not yours... I have been rving for 40 years and have owned everything from a small pop up to a 45 foot class A and if you don't drive/tow it regularly you lose that needed skill

As an example I had a friend break his shoulder and collar bone not to long ago and he needed someone to drive his rig about 900 miles to where he was going to be doing long term rehab. I have a 45 foot class A so he knew I could drive his rig which is a smaller 40 foot class A. Both class A motor homes, both diesel engine set ups but It took everything I had to get that rig to its destination as it drove hugely different from mine.... things like tag/non tag......IFS/straight axle.......even things like the different placement of mirrors, or the chassis having a different wheel cut, or different engine/exhaust brake set up etc all plays a part in how a rig drives so just because you might learn how to drive a rental does not mean you will be able to or like how the rig you buy tows/drives etc..

Old 06-03-2016, 05:19 AM

8,388 posts, read 4,376,951 times
I mean no offense here but ...
When you ask questions like 'can I tow a 5th wheel behind a Tahoe' you obviously have a bit to learn about RV'ing.

As far as putting the 'cart before the horse' I would first become well versed in RV'ing in general, decide what style of RV'ing you are really interested in, research different types, visit dealers, generally have a plan and know what you are getting into before you make a major, depreciating investment and finally, learn to drive it and get out on the road.

Since you apparently 'love to read' I would strongly suggest you Google RV'ing and start reading about the topic. There are many excellent web sites on RV types, with it takes to 'full time' and about a million tips and techniques for from buying an RV to dumping holding tanks, to insurance, to getting mail, to where to actually go and park.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Because every rv can be different so it makes little since to learn to drive/tow something that is not yours... I have been rving for 40 years and have owned everything from a small pop up to a 45 foot class A and if you don't drive/tow it regularly you lose that needed skill

As an example I had a friend break his shoulder and collar bone not to long ago and he needed someone to drive his rig about 900 miles to where he was going to be doing long term rehab. I have a 45 foot class A so he knew I could drive his rig which is a smaller 40 foot class A. Both class A motor homes, both diesel engine set ups but It took everything I had to get that rig to its destination as it drove hugely different from mine.... things like tag/non tag......IFS/straight axle.......even things like the different placement of mirrors, or the chassis having a different wheel cut, or different engine/exhaust brake set up etc all plays a part in how a rig drives so just because you might learn how to drive a rental does not mean you will be able to or like how the rig you buy tows/drives etc..
I had not expected that much difference in similar sizes...
There is not that much difference between two Tahoe LTZ, normally, bcuz they are configured almost identically but I can see there is more room for individual differences in RVs

And I did misspeak initially...I do know a Tahoe can't tow a 5th wheel...Just didn't catch mistake...
Thanks for the insight
Maybe we will rent one or two this summer for short periods to get feel for different styles

Old 06-05-2016, 09:45 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,676,259 times
Lazy Days in FL offers a driving course. AFA what type you would prefer, it depends on personal preference. We have a Class A 40' motorhome with all the comforts of home (washer/dryer, king size bed, full refrigerator, etc.) as we live in it 5 months a year along with an 80 lb. dog. We tow a 2014 Honda CRV also (last year they made towable CRV). Anything smaller wouldn't work for us. This is our 3rd and last motorhome, so we made sure it had everything we wanted.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Motorhomes are pretty ez to herd down the road.

Most are automatics! And have power steering!!
You get real aquainted with it after a couple weeks.
1) know and watch your clearances,
2) NEVER back unless you have no options, THEN, walk around your vehicle first, honk if you don't have a person spotting behind your vehicle ( even if you have a camera,,,, you can run over a kid)
3) keep minimum of two vehicle lengths following distance at slow speeds, 4 second minimum (x2 if towing)
4) watch your mirrors every 30 sec minimum.
5) stay right unless passing
6) watch off-track, and tail- swing when turning.
7) right turns only, avoid crossing oncoming traffic ( plan route accordingly)
8) if towing, ALWAYs re-check hitch connections and lights after a few minutes, and at every driving break
9) use a $10 IR thermometer to monitor tire, brake, transmission, wheel bearing heat.
10) be careful
For safety and planning for emergency driving skills, I highly suggest the SMITH driving school, FedEx provided it for my spouse and I. I still quiz my sons on the Five Points. (for 10 yrs now), they may be getting tired of it, but at least they get it. And practice it.

RE: different rigs...commercial drivers may use 2-4 different vehicles everyday...

RV's are simple, You don't have to deal with 2 or 3 shift levers / or the several configurations of buttons and switches and shift patterns of 9, 10, 10od, 13, 18 spds ... + different engine makes and rpm preferences. (One job I swapped trucks every 2 hours, one was a 2 cycle detroit, (5x4); another was a CAT (18speed), another was a cummins with 13 spd. I was running a mtn pass delivering 55,000# of grain up and down (loaded and empty). Everything was different in each rig, mirrors, trailers, lengths, steering and brake behavior.

Be safe, and You get used to handling your rig.
If you don't know whether you want a 5r or Class A or C, you should definately spend time at an RV park watching folks move in and out, and also write out your priorities and expected daily / weekly / monthly / annual use and maint.

5rs are great to live in, but are more hassle to move. I like having the freedom to move daily, configure and use my tow vehicle how I please, (including having a camper shell / topper for tools, motorcycles, and storage. and I prefer to also tow a 50 mpg toad. So... My RV style is not 5r friendly, since few states allow you to 'triple', tow two vehicles.

My mom, an RV fanatic and a CDL holder / semi truck driver experience.... Transitioned to a 5r and was very dis-pleased, so lasted only one yr, them back to a class A, now @ age. 84... to a Class B. One 96 yr old friend still takes his 40' 5r on 2,000 & 3,000 mile annual trips. Another 80 yr old friend changed from a 32 ft bumper pull, to a 40' 5r, then to a 28' 5r.

Very tough to find the perfect fit.
Run all the scenerios, then add a few wild cards.
Settle for the best option, tho it will not be perfect. Stay flexible and wise ( learn from yourself and others.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing