Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 11:02 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times

Advertisements

Check out RVSueandCrew she's been full timing in a Casita for over 5 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 02:02 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,529 times
I am happier with my 6x15 Legend Trailer than a Casita or Scamp. But definitely, I've seen a Casita being towed in LA by a 4th Gen Dodge Grand Caravan [possibly a tow package model].

My trailer can hold 12 bicycles at times, or it can just be a cargo trailer or "makeshift RV." Or a hybrid of these...

Old 10-19-2022, 02:03 PM

371 posts, read 361,162 times
Default Scamp vs Casita - factors in choosing

If anyone has further questions about Scamp vs. Casita, contact me. I've just completed a LOT of online research.

Five years after this thread was active, I'll chime in. My wife and I just resolved this question for ourselves by buying a used Scamp 16 footer. We actually had a Casita on order, with delivery promised in six months. We didn't mind waiting through winter, and this 2021 Scamp cost the same as a new 2023 Casita (we'd just beat Casita's large price increase).

The big difference between these two similar-looking trailers is their tow car requirements. Casita only makes the 17-foot model now. It's only a foot longer than the Scamp, but all the extra length is added to the front half of the trailer, ahead of the axle. That makes them nose-heavy, often weigh in near 450 pounds at the hitch. That's about 15% of the total trailer's weight, while the usual standard is 10%. Casita is now stipulating a tow vehicle in the 5000-pound tow rating category, though the actual trailer weight is around 3000 lbs, unloaded. That raises concerns with us, including:

- We don't want to have a pickup or a fullsized SUV as our second car. We care about fuel economy and easy parking
- In the 5000 pound category, there a lot of larger and cheaper travel trailers available. I don't want to be tempted.

Casita hasn't been completely honest about this. Their current brochure clearly states that their trailers can be safely towed by any 3500-lb tow rated vehicle. Beware - unless you're like so many others, and you already have a jumbo truck or SUV to tow with.

Other wise, both seem to be fine products. I liked the Casita's wider windows and larger wheels and tires, but I can't resist the warm, cabin-like atmosphere of a Scamp Deluxe with birchwood cabinetry, and no fiberglass visible indoors. Casita interiors are clean, modern and clinical-looking, a look with its own admirers.

It's easy to find midsized SUVs that tow 3500 pounds. We're leaning towards a Volvo or Mercedes, used.

Old 11-05-2022, 05:14 AM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatridger View Post
If anyone has further questions about Scamp vs. Casita, contact me. I've just completed a LOT of online research.

Five years after this thread was active, I'll chime in. My wife and I just resolved this question for ourselves by buying a used Scamp 16 footer. We actually had a Casita on order, with delivery promised in six months. We didn't mind waiting through winter, and this 2021 Scamp cost the same as a new 2023 Casita (we'd just beat Casita's large price increase).

The big difference between these two similar-looking trailers is their tow car requirements. Casita only makes the 17-foot model now. It's only a foot longer than the Scamp, but all the extra length is added to the front half of the trailer, ahead of the axle. That makes them nose-heavy, often weigh in near 450 pounds at the hitch. That's about 15% of the total trailer's weight, while the usual standard is 10%. Casita is now stipulating a tow vehicle in the 5000-pound tow rating category, though the actual trailer weight is around 3000 lbs, unloaded. That raises concerns with us, including:

- We don't want to have a pickup or a fullsized SUV as our second car. We care about fuel economy and easy parking
- In the 5000 pound category, there a lot of larger and cheaper travel trailers available. I don't want to be tempted.

Casita hasn't been completely honest about this. Their current brochure clearly states that their trailers can be safely towed by any 3500-lb tow rated vehicle. Beware - unless you're like so many others, and you already have a jumbo truck or SUV to tow with.

Other wise, both seem to be fine products. I liked the Casita's wider windows and larger wheels and tires, but I can't resist the warm, cabin-like atmosphere of a Scamp Deluxe with birchwood cabinetry, and no fiberglass visible indoors. Casita interiors are clean, modern and clinical-looking, a look with its own admirers.

It's easy to find midsized SUVs that tow 3500 pounds. We're leaning towards a Volvo or Mercedes, used.
Thanks for the well-written and detailed post. I've seen both the Casita and Scamp, but the info about the heavier tongue weight is important to consider. Years ago I even stopped at the Casita factory in central TX and looked at a bunch of models they had parked in front. When I return to the USA in about another year, I'd like to get a small RV of some sort and do some traveling. I like the small trailer option instead of a Class C (or larger) motorhome, because it is just for myself and I can travel without a huge amount of stuff.

Old 11-05-2022, 05:24 AM

899 posts, read 669,785 times
I thought the Escape brand looked pretty interesting. But they're built in "Canadia" and I think there's a trick to importing them.

Fiberglass Trailers Built for You
A dealer will only sell you a trailer. Escape Trailer will build your trailer for you. Escape is a no commission direct to consumer manufacturer.

https://escapetrailer.com/

Old 11-06-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I like the small trailer option instead of a Class C (or larger) motorhome, because it is just for myself and I can travel without a huge amount of stuff.
It's a trailer for me, never a motorhome of any size. I'm not the type to just sit around in a campsite all day. I like to drive and hike to see the sights, then return to my portable cabin for the night.

Old 11-06-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
I thought the Escape brand looked pretty interesting. But they're built in "Canadia" and I think there's a trick to importing them.

Fiberglass Trailers Built for You
A dealer will only sell you a trailer. Escape Trailer will build your trailer for you. Escape is a no commission direct to consumer manufacturer.

https://escapetrailer.com/
The trick for any of these fiberglass TTs is having $35-50K in hand, plus a willingness to wait in line for 1-2 years... or buy used, at about the same price. The Escape is one of the most expensive ones.

Old 11-06-2022, 04:03 PM

899 posts, read 669,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatridger View Post
The trick for any of these fiberglass TTs is having $35-50K in hand, plus a willingness to wait in line for 1-2 years... or buy used, at about the same price. The Escape is one of the most expensive ones.
They looked pretty nice though.

The ones that jumped out at me for high price were the Olivers.

https://campaddict.com/oliver-travel-trailers/

Old 11-10-2022, 05:26 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
A good website for anyone considering a used one is: https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/

Used Olivers can sometimes be found on the manufacturer's website under the forum, but you have to sign up for the forum to see if something is for sale.

There are some called the "Helio", I believe also made in Canada, but sold at retailers in the US. They are interesting, but not fancy at all. They are lightweight, and they go from very basic, similar to a larger type teardrop to something that looks like a small Scamp. https://heliovr.com/ultralight-travel-trailer/

I have a HUGE passion for camping and smaller travel trailers.

Old 06-10-2023, 09:55 PM

Default Thanks for the tip!

As a Scamp owner, those Helios look pretty interesting. Nice to see some fresh thinking applied to the problem. Less weight, aluminum frames, and a more minimalistic aesthetic. Always good to see more choices like this. Small trailer companies come and then go, mostly. Hope this one succeeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing