Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 08:49 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,674,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
We aren't huge fans of the slideout craze.
Slideouts are nice. They allow for more space without taking up any more footprint on the road. Very comfortable when you're living in one full time. I wouldn't completely rule one out if you haven't looked at them yet.

Quote:
I don't want to run a fifth wheel, as I planned to have storage for tools and extra items we don't use every day in the bed of my truck.
Something to consider..... loading all of your tools in the bed of the truck cuts down on the weight that the truck can carry. You may actually come out ahead with a 5th wheel for a couple of reasons. 1) Your equipment is stored in the "basement" where it is out of the elements and 2) the axles of the 5th wheel will support some of that weight so the pin weight on the truck may be lighter than the load you would apply with all of your gear in the bed plus the tongue weight of a trailer.

Quote:
Had an idea to use a 12 volt pump and collapsible bladder to augment the fresh water supply for dry camping, also in the bed of the truck. We plan a solar system and propane mix with a small genny for those times it is needed. We would be in a park most often, but also like to boondock when we get a chance between jobs. Of course if a fifth wheel has enough storage built in to negate the bed of the truck, it could be an option, although the extra water supply might be harder to accomplish.
My 5th wheel has way more storage than I have ever needed plus it has a 60 gallon fresh water tank onboard and a 12v pump already built in for water requirements. Further than that, it provides a means to secure my tools from theft. Propane is already on board and mine is wired for solar already. Kind of kills a few birds with one stone.

Quote:
Understand, I don't intend to carry extra water all the time, it is more of an optional thing for times we might want to haul extra water. I will be running a 1 ton diesel truck, so we will have enough truck for whatever rig we are likely to drag along. I prefer to always keep tools well under their effective limit of function.
You've got the truck to do it, so if it were me I would strongly consider a 5th wheel. They're easier to pull and provide ample room to comfortably live in.

As for build quality, they're ALL going to have problems. The key is two things. 1) Finding a good dealer who won't BS you when something needs repair and 2) Doing your research in advance to figure out which manufacturers have the better track record. FWIW, the reason so many people have problems outside of build quality are gadgets. People spring for the high end models because they have auto levelers, electric awnings, fireplaces, etc.... All things that can and do break.

Last edited by Nlambert; 04-10-2018 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 02:21 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,865,756 times
When I looked into 5th wheels, I found several Best for full timers lists from different publications. The same four or five popped up on every list year after year. Does Anyone know are these lists meaningful or based on ad purchases? I am not sure I can tell a lot about insulation, build quality of sturdiness of components form looking at them at a show. I certainly will be able to pick out the most features and the prettiest ones, but that is really irrelevant it seems.

After poking around a lot and talking to people at work who have years and year of RV experience, it appears a 5th wheel makes the most sense. They say you get more space for the size, better build quality and when you engine or brakes need work, you do not have to leave your home at the shop for repair. They also said they are substantially more maneuverable, they tow much better and more safely than a travel trailer, and they are easier to work on if you DIY. Overall it was an overwhelming recommendation for 5th wheel over a big RV. Even the people who have big RVs said they should have gotten a 5th wheel. Are there other opinions with a basis for an RV being preferable?

Old 04-10-2018, 03:17 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,875,360 times
We've traveled for 4-5 months a year for nine years now in a Jayco fifth wheel all over the country. It's held up very well. The decals look like hell, but since it's stored in Florida the rest of the time, the Florida sun is death to decals.

We would have liked a Class A, but we could afford a fifth wheel, so a fifth wheel is what we have. I like the configuration, the roominess and the excellent storage.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:09 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,875,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When I looked into 5th wheels, I found several Best for full timers lists from different publications. The same four or five popped up on every list year after year. Does Anyone know are these lists meaningful or based on ad purchases? I am not sure I can tell a lot about insulation, build quality of sturdiness of components form looking at them at a show. I certainly will be able to pick out the most features and the prettiest ones, but that is really irrelevant it seems.

After poking around a lot and talking to people at work who have years and year of RV experience, it appears a 5th wheel makes the most sense. They say you get more space for the size, better build quality and when you engine or brakes need work, you do not have to leave your home at the shop for repair. They also said they are substantially more maneuverable, they tow much better and more safely than a travel trailer, and they are easier to work on if you DIY. Overall it was an overwhelming recommendation for 5th wheel over a big RV. Even the people who have big RVs said they should have gotten a 5th wheel. Are there other opinions with a basis for an RV being preferable?
They ARE much more maneuverable into tight spots than a similar-sized Class A or even a bumper-hitch.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:21 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,584,585 times
Quote:

They say the first thing to consider is the floorplan. No matter how good the build quality is, how much basement storage, how easy to tow, it all doesn't matter if you (or more likely, your wife) don't like the floorplan, you will end up selling it for a huge loss.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,865,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
They say the first thing to consider is the floorplan. No matter how good the build quality is, how much basement storage, how easy to tow, it all doesn't matter if you (or more likely, your wife) don't like the floorplan, you will end up selling it for a huge loss.
They all look about the same to me. Kitchen is always in the middle. Sometimes the lounge area is on one side of the kitchen sometimes the bedroom is on that side. That is about the only difference I have found, although we admittedly just started looking at them. Layout seems typically the same a lounge area with sleeper sofa of some kind. A kitchen and a bedroom and bathroom. Main difference seems to be the size of each and whether the bedroom is in the front or back. Some of them have more makeshift sleeping areas and a couple had a second bedroom of sorts.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:55 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,584,585 times
I was down in Quartzsite, AZ, recently during the "Big Show" and there was one dealer exhibiting coaches. One of the 5ers had the kitchen in the front with a nice picture window. Another had the "living room" in the front with a nice big screen tv that lowered down into a cabinet with a large window behind. So not all are the same. But I would agree that most have the kitchen in the middle of the coach, just works out easier that way for most people.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:59 AM

34,100 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
We would have liked a Class A, but we coul afford a fifth wheel, so a fifth wheel is what we have.
If you already have reason to own the big dam truck needed to pull the 5th wheel...

Old 04-12-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post

I agree with almost all of this except selling it for a loss. If you have a knowledgeable buyer you wont.

Last fall we purchased a 2013 Heartland Prowler 31PRET (rear living) for our family of four after we went back and forth trying to decide between a bunkhouse or one with more living area. My wife wanted the huge kitchen and living area. We assumed it would be no issue that it only slept 4 and that the kids could sleep on the pull out sofa.

Boy were we wrong. It was a juggling act trying to get the couch converted every night. We learned that when it was bedtime for them, it was bedtime for us because staying in the living area kept them awake and the pullout bed didn't give us much room to kick back in the recliners directly opposite the bed. We traded it last week for the bunkhouse (Keystone Hideout 298BHDS) that we wanted to buy last fall.

However, we didn't take a huge loss. We paid $24k for the Prowler used (NADA was $35k) in August. At the time the Hideout was $45k new so we decided against it. The dealership offered us the Hideout for $35k (leftover '17).

We then discussed trade in and they gave us $26k on trade. We paid off our loan and they owed us a little over $2k. They applied that to the camper. Then they gave us $1k store credit as a repeat customer which we also applied to the price of the camper instead. Lastly they refunded us our unused extended warranty ($1,800). Our price out the door ended up being ~$30,200. NADA is $50,280. Low retail is $41k.

Understand that no dealer is going to take a loss, but if it feels like a fair deal to you then it usually is.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:

A lot of the time it's just who pays the most for advertising. RV manufacturers are so far behind right now that they're racing to push out as many as they can, and as such defects tend to fall through. So you'll find a lemon in any of them. All of the rv manufacturers offer a factory tour. If you're REALLY interested in seeing how they're made take a week and go to Indiana and go through the factory tours. You'll quickly see how they're all made and gain a lot of knowledge on RVs.

One thing to understand is that 95% of the RV manufacturers are around the Elkhart, Indiana area. Even the frame manufacturer (Lippert) is there. There is a huge group of Amish folk who build the cabinetry, etc... in shops for all of the manufacturers there. Most rv manufacturers use the same components from the same vendors. The difference usually comes from wire routing, plumbing routing, structural design (wood vs aluminum, etc....).

The difference, for example, in a "cold weather" package is two layers of foil insulation in the underbelly with a bellypan to cover that up and sometimes a duct ran into the belly to blow heat in there. The walls, ceilings, etc... have the same insulation as those without this package in most cases.

As for 5th wheels... I have owned travel trailers and 5th wheels. I would echo the sentiment that a 5th wheel is the best choice overall. Off the top of the head this is what I like more about them:

1. Taller ceilings
2. More space
3. More cargo capacity
4. Easier access to make repairs (water heater, etc...)
5. Less sway when towing (almost none)
6. Way better maneuverability than a TT. No comparison at all.

And the cost is very comparable. There's not a lot of difference nowadays between a 5th wheel and TT with similar options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing