Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 11:33 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times

Advertisements

I was told by a couple of dealerships that RV sales in recent months are up 500%-600%. That's a huge increase. Many dealerships have 25% of what they usually carry in stock. Build dates are being stretched out.

If you recently purchased your RV, what was your reasoning?

I will be picking up a Coachman Freedom Express Ultralight 246RKS (28') in 2 weeks. My purchase has nothing to due with Covid, and truthfully my timing stunk but the wheels were already in motion. I already own a smaller trailer so I was all set for camping. This new trailer has a dual purpose. Of course I will be camping in it. It's a huge upgrade in size so will be much more comfortable to camp in. I was looking for a trailer that could be used as a home office, and it took me about a year to find the layout I think will work the best. I had a 30A service installed at my house to accommodate the new trailer/home office.

I'm curious how high the % increase in sales is due simply because of the Covid effect. Also, I bet in 1-2 years the used market will be flooded with RV's/trailers as people buying now could be getting in over their head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 12:17 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
The old one had too many problems. Hadn’t used it in 4 years. Wanted something newer and in bette shape. Bought a 2000?Shasta 5th wheel.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:32 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,389,618 times
People still want to travel, go on vacation and get away on weekends.

But because of COVID
What they DON'T want is to stay in hotels/motels, fly (or use other public transportation) or generally be in crowds if they can avoid it.

With an RV you sleep on your bed and pillow, walk around on floors not exposed to hundreds of people, use a bathroom you do not share with the general public and you can go to neat outdoors campgrounds or (someday hopefully) to tailgate or (as we do) get together at a campground for a family reunion.

RV and boat sales are both through the roof this year. I would be cautious about buying an RV built in 2020 because they are rushing them through so fast. There are always bugs to work out in a new RV but this years models may be particularly problematic.

And yes, in 2 years or so there will be a lot of good slightly used RV's out there for sale.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:56 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
??Anyone have any idea about annual maintenance costs?? Not real handy when it comes to things mechanical, electrical and so forth. Dirt? That is a piece of cake for me, but not the other stuff.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:17 PM

1,131 posts, read 387,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
??Anyone have any idea about annual maintenance costs?? Not real handy when it comes to things mechanical, electrical and so forth. Dirt? That is a piece of cake for me, but not the other stuff.
Depends on what style of RV (trailer, class A,B,C).....as well as the age of the vehicle if the RV is built on a Ford, Chev or other chasis. Kind of like asking how much is the maintenance on an automobile. Some are lemons and some are reliable to go for miles and miles without a problem. Usually the more bells and whistles an RV has, the more apt it will break. The quality of today's RVs stink. Pressed wood, plastic stuff ---not very durable.

I'd recommend watching some RVer channels on Youtube to see what issues they run into.

With all these RVs being sold lately, many will be on the market soon once the virus is resolved. RVs are one of those instinct spontaneous purchases for some families who end up with not using it as much as payments to the finance company continue. And finding places to store them isn't always the easiest for folks in apartments or larger cities. Rental spots to park/store can become an expensive cost. MPG is expensive, many campgrounds charge a ton as well. RV repairs can be very expensive, too.......be careful.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:45 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,389,618 times
Quote:
TakingItEasy was right -- it totally depends on RV type, age and quality.

I will add the following:
tires are only good for 6 to 7 years regardless of miles
batteries will need to be replaced every 5 years or so unless you buy the super expensive ones
The roof needs to be cleaned and maintained or you'll get leaks
they have to be winterized every fall unless you live way South somewhere

A reasonably handy person can do the routine cleaning (inside and out), lubricating, battery maintenance etc.

"There's always something". Right now I need to replace the toilet flush valve seal. I am going to cheat and just replace the toilet with an upgrade by Dometic.

If you are type of person who doesn't own a set of tools or know how McGiver stuff -- good luck.

Old 09-08-2020, 03:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We bought our 25' trailer in 2017, and have not gone out in it this summer due to Covid. Yes, people buying a $100,000 Class A might get in over their heads, but for the 20-50k trailer the terms are so easy with good credit, low interest and 10 year loans, it seems unlikely that people will be in financial difficulty over it. We are always aware of others, and in our neighborhood since Covid we have noticed 4 new trailers in the 15-22' range, and one 30'+ 5th wheel. The people a few doors down have a Class C but bought it last summer.

Old 09-09-2020, 04:54 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Not real handy when it comes to things mechanical, electrical and so forth.
Just like at home... that famous "a stitch in time" wisdom applies to RV's as well.
The actually expensive work is almost always rooted in NOT doing something minor soon enough.
Having to hire someone, to find someone to hire when away from home, to attend to minor things WILL add up fast.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:30 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Ever hear the expression that a boat is just a hole in the water you throw money into. Well, it pertains to trailers too. Just a hole in the ground you throw money into.

Old 09-09-2020, 07:18 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Thx folks who responded. I realized, after the fact and should have edited my question, that I was too general. Apologies for the vagueness. Let me try again.

Class, probably a B or C. Not interested in pull behind that would require investing in a new pick up, as my 19 year old Frontier - now a 'yard' truck is enough - and our 2013 Ford Edge only has 63000 miles and not ready to upgrade for 3 or 4 years.

I don't mind spending money for others to do what I cannot [no tools, no knowledge] or have no desire to do. I am used to "an annual budgeting rule of thumb" of around 2% of value per year for my home's maintenance. It is a rule of thumb that I have followed successfully for many years across several homes, usually underspending. The rule of thumb provides good budgeting understanding and discipline.

Knowing that I have put in new fans and replaced fans, changed electrical outlets, installed new security lights, fixed gutter leaks, fixed block retaining wall leaks, do routine maintenance on yard equipment, replaced toilet flappers...I can and will do certain things.

but that is about as maintenance heavy as I am capable of or care to be, any guidance on a percentage of cost basis I might budget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing