Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 04:46 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,254,394 times

Advertisements

[quote=StealthRabbit;59746130]
  • Fuel 12 - 18 mpg (FREE fuel if using a diesel)
Just curious. Since nothing is actually free, but might be free to you how do you get FREE diesel fuel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 10:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Free diesel equivalent..

Discarded Jet A, heating oil, used engine or transmission oil, WVO, Peanut oil, or home brew. (Appleseed processor).

Hopefully soon, algae based feedstock. Grow your own.

A friend in rural area gets 300 gal / week free
Other friends, jet mechanics, use jet A and have not had to buy diesel for over 40 yrs.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:25 PM

Have a friend who does that with an older Ford Diesel, however, he can no longer find heating oil (I guess that in some areas turning impossible to find since many are converting to propane or natural), cooking oils are hard to come by due to the desire to use and not enough quantity; don't believe he has tried appleseed I'll note that to him.

One question is if moving about the USA from camping area to camping area will these products be easy to find?

Old 02-24-2021, 07:26 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,981,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Have a friend who does that with an older Ford Diesel, however, he can no longer find heating oil (I guess that in some areas turning impossible to find since many are converting to propane or natural), cooking oils are hard to come by due to the desire to use and not enough quantity; don't believe he has tried appleseed I'll note that to him.

One question is if moving about the USA from camping area to camping area will these products be easy to find?

All I can say is I made a van tour of eight states a few years ago and not once did I see any of those unconventional fuels. Just good ol' green pump diesel.

Old 02-25-2021, 01:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
There are international links to local sources for alternative fuels wherever you travel.

You will NEVER find them 'at-the-pump'

Fuel in USA is so cheap, most travelers consider it 'incidental charges' .

Most of my USA road travel is in my 1250 miles per tank Passat TDI wagons (with minimal RV accommodations of frig, sleeping, 'outdoor' heated shower).

Using our mini MH is pretty irritating having to stop every 400 - 500 miles for fuel, but sometimes it is necessary for those passengers consuming a Big Gulp. (USA sized beverages)

I'm used to Class 8 style traveling (Semi truck, ~ 1,000 miles per fill). Of course the DOT is cramping our style (as usual) by only allowing 11 hrs in the saddle (legally) as of a few yrs ago.

Old 02-25-2021, 04:53 AM

Didn't think you could drive in and purchase. Talking with my friend yesterday, his biggest problem is small towns where more demand than supply. (He Lives in Moab, small town, with thousands of tourists).

I agree, my travels have never been limited due to price of fuel (so far) and that's in a GMC PU pulling a trailer through the mountains of ID, WY, MT, UT, CO and occasionally WA.

As for distance, fuel fill ups are not a problem, I travel with two large dogs so about every 200 miles it is a stop for me and a stop for them and at that time, I just fill up the truck too.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:53 AM

261 posts, read 189,805 times
Nomad Land wins best Drama at Golden Globes.

Some Nomads liked the movie and some didn't. What was your take if you've seen the movie?

USAToday Story

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertain...825739002/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing