Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 04:12 PM

3,259 posts, read 1,742,217 times

Advertisements

It'll be just me & the wife. Looking to be up & down the east coast for anywhere from a week to a month at a time putting around. Im looking for known issues particularly the Navion 24D Looks to be an easy driving rig since she'll be doing most of the driving and being based on a Mercedes sprinter chassis I'm not anticipating major mechanical issues but I'm leery of turbochargers (reliability issues). anybody have experience or an interesting story in a Winne ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 01:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Don't worry about the turbo, worry about the health of the fuel system, That is the most troublesome with Sprinters that I have helped fix. I have several friends with them, from Cargo to passenger to Navion. My insurance agent found me a totaled Navion with 150 miles for $16,000, but I let a friend take that deal. He fixed it for < $30k (the new first owner swiped off the passenger side on a rock wall). My spouse did the same thing on our RV, so I had to fix that.

Fuel system health...
  • Buy Clean, DRY fuel, I only buy Diesel from high volume truck stops or fleet card-locks.
  • Always fill after driving several hours and before letting it sit overnight (condensation, as Diesel runs excess fuel back into tank and the entire tank is warm. If that sits 1/2 full or near empty during the dew point changes you make LOTS of water. $5000 diesel injection pumps do not like pumping water at diesel CR pressures. (no lubricity in water)
  • Add a water filter / trap, consider a heated one if driving or storing in cold or damp climates (Sprinter has a fuel cooling device IIRC), really messes with Bio-Diesel (crystallization). = starved pump = $5000 repair

My Racor pre-filters are $5 for a filter element instead of $50 for a Sprinter filter. + the Racor is clear, so you can spot water very easily, and there is a bleed valve to get rid of the water sitting in sediment bowl.

The Sprinters are quite nice and stable and smooth to drive, and plenty of power (especially at high altitude (turbo + diesel torque). Be very careful when passing or going downhill. You are driving a truck, not a car. Use 8 sec following distance rather than 4 sec, especially if towing.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:32 AM

That's the kind of Intel I've been looking for. I've been told by salesmen most of these Sprinter based motorhomes are based on the equivalent of a 4500 series chassis so that should mean bigger brakes. The water seperator is a really good tip. Much appreciated !

My wife used to drive one of those short school buses so hopefully she'll be ok with a wide camper.

Old 02-11-2021, 12:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Your wife will be fine, but stuff happens... (Needles Highway, Black Hills)
https://www.google.com/search?q=need..._AUoAXoECBIQAw

As a CDL driver I have seen a lot of RV carnage. (especially in WY (wind, Ice, falling asleep) and MT / Colorado (descending Mtn passes with faded brakes)).

The 4500 series chassis is a good choice for a C.

Look up some Navion and Sprinter C user groups. (Facebook really diluted the technical info, but we have a fairly good Google tech group for our RV)
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/thi...4g-351378.html
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?forums/10/
https://www.rvillage.com/group/189/s...winnebago-view
(not too active) https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...-290880-7.html

Old 02-11-2021, 06:19 PM

Thanks again!

Old 02-13-2021, 04:23 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
A buddy of mine had one for a class C with a Sprinter Chassis. It was in the shop more than they used it. Most of the issues he had was with the electrical system.

Old 02-14-2021, 03:32 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
A buddy of mine had one for a class C with a Sprinter Chassis. It was in the shop more than they used it. Most of the issues he had was with the electrical system.
The costs to fix sprinters are very expensive.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
The costs to fix sprinters are very expensive.
As with all premium brands / speciality vehicles. There's plenty of opinions. I'm looking for first person opinions from owners, not "My cousin's neighbor knows someone who saw one once in a shop."

I might be looking in the wrong place. (Not a snark at anybody, Just talking)

Old 02-14-2021, 09:45 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
As with all premium brands / speciality vehicles. There's plenty of opinions. I'm looking for first person opinions from owners, not "My cousin's neighbor knows someone who saw one once in a shop."

I might be looking in the wrong place. (Not a snark at anybody, Just talking)
Why not go to sprinter forums? Mechanically it doesn't make that much difference if it is a camper or not. Personally I will stick with my good ol gmc rv with 350 gas motor.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:44 PM

Apparently there's a discussion forum for everything. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing