Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 10:36 PM

319 posts, read 200,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
She is very similar to Bob Wells and making a living with information most already know.
*pffft* Try hanging out on some of the Facebook groups. A lot of people new to the RV world don't want to research, they want someone to hold their hand and tell them how to deal with problems rather than try to figure it out themselves. Those kind of people are Robin's core

I've watched Robin's videos from the beginning. She had the epiphany of many: her sister died of cancer, in the last months of her life she exhorted Robin to not wait until it was too late to follow her dreams. Robin went through two small Class C/B rigs before she got a 5th wheel. I'm sure Youtube and her online books paid for that. I'm not going to fault her for that. There a many vapid youtube influences out there. At least Robin presents valid knowledge.

I followed the videos of a couple of other women who traveled in old Class Cs or vans. Also, RVSue's blog. Her updates have mostly stopped since she got off the road and bought a house, but the years she was on the road in an old van, pulling a small fiberglass trailer were interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 10:55 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,534,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv Chins View Post
*pffft* Try hanging out on some of the Facebook groups. A lot of people new to the RV world don't want to research, they want someone to hold their hand and tell them how to deal with problems rather than try to figure it out themselves. Those kind of people are Robin's core .
If you ask in most campgrounds, people will be happy to assist/advise you if you are having issues with 1 of your systems. At 1 point, everyone was a newbie.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:36 AM

319 posts, read 200,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
If you ask in most campgrounds, people will be happy to assist/advise you if you are having issues with 1 of your systems. At 1 point, everyone was a newbie.
Absolutely. Hopefully they aren't the kind who'll stand and harangue, pointing out each and every little thing they think you should change or be doing. I've encountered a number of those types

Videos like the ones Robin and her kind produce are educational and recommended. 2020-21 has become an unprecedented year in people joining the RV community. Unfortunately many are making choices based on an infatuated idea rather than knowing the least little thing ("why do we have to have both grey and black tanks? It all goes to the same place at home" ). I have a list of Youtubers to recommend based on weekend or long-term use. I wish they had been around 25 years ago, when we started. I wouldn't have spent so much money on the books I bought to teach us the right way to hit the road.

Old 03-02-2021, 07:32 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,455,764 times
Read the book too. It provides a context to the story. The reasons why thousands of people who lost everything are living this way.

Heartbreaking. And an important thing for Americans who are sheltered from this view - to see.

Also timely - looking at the wages Amazon pays - they can afford a $15 an hour salary

Old 03-27-2021, 01:52 AM

354 posts, read 416,437 times
There are 100's of RV YouTube Channels. Some of them making $90K a year or better. 80 percent bought property during Covid. Bob Wells make around $90K a year. There is a need for this and Bob filled the need by giving advice. Most of the full timers belong to a tribe. A few are loners.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:45 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,984,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Read the book too. It provides a context to the story. The reasons why thousands of people who lost everything are living this way.

Heartbreaking. And an important thing for Americans who are sheltered from this view - to see.

Also timely - looking at the wages Amazon pays - they can afford a $15 an hour salary

Amazon raised its minimum wage to $15 an hour plus benefits in 2020.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:16 PM

30,190 posts, read 11,833,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I saw the movie in the theaters yesterday, I thought it was good, but not great.

I'm definitely not a fan of Bob, but can understand his appeal and do give him "props" for building his brand and business. The thing is, Bob now has a condo in Pahrump and rarely lives in his van and rarely, if ever poops in a bucket now (why?)!

Bob's easily pulling in $70,000+ a year from his Cheap RV Living website and YouTube channel, he's more of a "Do as I say, not as I do!" type. I sort feel bad who the older single ladies out there that look at him as some sort of Messiah and all-knowing guru when it comes to living in a van on the road, when most of the stuff is just common sense.

He gets people to buy into that nomadic van-life lifestyle, while he has his sticks-and-bricks condo, laughing all the way to the bank!

It would be interesting to meet and interview some of these older ladies, who live by themselves and who bought into Bob's shtick and how many are still nomads, living in vans and RV's and pooping in buckets after 2 or 3 years ?

That is interesting. I figured he got paid well for this movie and his internet activities. Well at least he figured out how to monetize this lifestyle. I can't really fault him for that.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:24 AM

31 posts, read 24,770 times
Did this a couple of years ago. It was out of necessity, but also very freeing. Went to the RTR one year, even met a couple of the people in the film. There is definitely a mix of those that choose this lifestyle and those that are forced in to it and making the best of the situation. Read the book before I watched the movie. Quite enjoyed Fern's portrayal, it's not all rainbows and unicorns but real life and she's doing the best with what she had to work with.

I know same as anyone that life happens. This lifestyle at least lets you explore that you can make lemonade out of lemons. You figure out just what you need to survive, and the truth is, not much. Glad this message is out there and I feel there will be many more faced with this soon. Have a sort of peace knowing I can do it again if needed and it will be okay.

Old 03-31-2021, 04:41 PM

7,052 posts, read 6,310,165 times
I wish I'd known about this lifestyle earlier. But I had no idea. It wasn't until I started researching tiny homes and frugal living that I came across nomad living.

I 've only been doing this since October and it is such a relief to be able to put money in savings each month rather than scrimping by on my social security check. Even with reduced housing, I couldn't afford anything extra.

I still live frugally but I feel so free.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:01 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,811,138 times
I just got to see the movie last night with my daughter and it was interesting for both of us and she was able to see some of what I was seeing during the year or so that I was on the road. So many of the details really rang true in there like her trying to figure out how to put on pants while crouching in the van.

One big part of van life that they left out is the nightly dilemma of where you're going to park and I'm guessing walmart didn't want to be any part of that movie and I can't say I blame them. There's a walmart in Tucson that's been run over by entire neighborhoods of van dwellers and there's even a wealthy side of town (in the parking lot) and a less wealthy one lol, so no, they don't want people seeing that as an option.

I had fun with van life and I'd still be on the road if my health hadn't taken a dive last year and I needed to get into a house near family pronto, but I still keep my van for adventures. I'm doing much better now.

As for Bob Wells, I have no problem with him making a lot of money and living in a condo...I can't see any reason at all that he should feel obligated to continue to poop in a bucket just because he teaches greenhorns how to do so. The last I knew, it was free to get into the RTR and he pays for that. I think that some people are just offended when they try to speak to him and he's too busy to engage...as far as I know, he's an introvert and that's just how we are...we don't hate people, but people can run down our batteries quickly. And maybe people don't really need poop-in-a-bucket lessons but the videos feed their fantasies and keep them going until they can finally make the break. I didn't meet anyone on the road who hadn't watched at least a couple of his videos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing