Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 12:26 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,770,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
There are also Toyota minivans, of course. Are they less-often used for camper vans than the Fords and Chevys?
I think most folks prefer full-sized vans, but minivans are also pretty popular. Bob Wells, vandwelling guru, and his organization, HOWA that gives vans away to people who need one, is now giving away minivans. It’s easier and cheaper to find minivans in good condition than full sized vans, and of course they are cheaper on fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 02:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
There are also Toyota minivans, of course. Are they less-often used for camper vans than the Fords and Chevys?
Toyota minivan campers are really popular where you can get the used Japanese versions with diesel engine. (Right hand drive). There are several sweet Toyota minivan models not allowed in USA. (Forward control). We had one in NZ.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:11 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,564,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I limit my vans to diesel only (free fuel). FOr conversions I find a lot of Ford 7.3LDiesel Ambulances, a few are 4x4 (Adventure RV)

For gas (ick) I would use a dated Dodge with 5.2L (318), as they were quite robust. I got ~350k trouble free very hard working miles miles from my Dodge with 5.9L. (gas, ick). My Dodge C&Cs (1T) with 5.9 Cummins will run 1m+ miles, I have 3.

Tho there will be plenty of Chevy and Ford's out there. I sold a pristine, but older, (late 80's) professionally done Pleasureway for $3500. It was on a Ford Chassis and had 56000 miles on it.

A few months ago I watched a YouTube video (the end result, after the conversion) of an RV where the guy had purchased an old, large ambulance and then converted it into an RV.

He, as many would, desired cabinets, and he said that he only had to construct very few because so many were already built in (part of the fitting as an ambulance).

Old 06-13-2021, 11:50 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,016,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

A few months ago I watched a YouTube video (the end result, after the conversion) of an RV where the guy had purchased an old, large ambulance and then converted it into an RV.

He, as many would, desired cabinets, and he said that he only had to construct very few because so many were already built in (part of the fitting as an ambulance).

It was probably retired based on its age rather than mileage,
so probably has a lot of use left in it (expensive, though, I suspect).

Old 06-14-2021, 12:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
It was probably retired based on its age rather than mileage,
so probably has a lot of use left in it (expensive, though, I suspect).
The last one I priced ('1995 F-350 dually w/ 7.3TD) was $3500 and had a rebuilt engine (though low miles), The agency was taking any offers, as they wanted to move it. (pre-covid). Nearly everything was intact and ready to be an Ambulance or an RV.

It even had a gurney! That could come in handy. (no need to add a bed).
The wiring and outlets / generator / plumbing far exceeded RV needs.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:12 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,349,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Toyota minivan campers are really popular where you can get the used Japanese versions with diesel engine. (Right hand drive). There are several sweet Toyota minivan models not allowed in USA. (Forward control). We had one in NZ.
There's a YouTuber I have been following for 4 or 5 years now, and he started out in a Honda Element (hence the name of his channel Element Van Life), then he bought a new Nissan NV200 a few years ago, which he converted into a camper, including adding a pop-up top and he eventually sold that last fall.

Now he and his girlfriend just bought a vintage 4X4 Toyota JDM (Japanese domestic market) import camper van with the diesel engine (your favorite!) at the end of last year (1995 Toyota Hiace), which they just spent this past spring remodeling. They don't expect to live in it forever, he's a professional YouTuber and she works remotely as a project manager for a construction company, but they think they will have it for a year or two, before moving onto their next vehicle!

Old 06-14-2021, 08:17 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,564,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
There's a YouTuber I have been following for 4 or 5 years now, and he started out in a Honda Element (hence the name of his channel Element Van Life), then he bought a new Nissan NV200 a few years ago, which he converted into a camper, including adding a pop-up top and he eventually sold that last fall.

Now he and his girlfriend just bought a vintage 4X4 Toyota JDM (Japanese domestic market) import camper van with the diesel engine (your favorite!) at the end of last year (1995 Toyota Hiace), which they just spent this past spring remodeling. They don't expect to live in it forever, he's a professional YouTuber and she works remotely as a project manager for a construction company, but they think they will have it for a year or two, before moving onto their next vehicle!

I was searching NV200 vans on cars.com a few weeks ago, and what prompted my search was thinking about having viewed some of his videos last year.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I was searching NV200 vans on cars.com a few weeks ago, and what prompted my search was thinking about having viewed some of his videos last year.
Yeah, Nate actually had a great setup in his NV200, including the pop-up top, but it's definitely tight in there if you have 2 people traveling and living in there 24/7, it seems ideal for a solo traveler. It got great gas mileage and I think he made some money on it when he sold it to that lady from southeastern PA last year!

Old 06-14-2021, 10:48 AM

4,632 posts, read 3,016,379 times
I see the NV200 is a compact van. When people mentioned Nissan vans,
I thought they were referring to the big V-8 rear-wheel-drive model,
which resembles a Ford or Chevy work van... although they
don't seem to be nearly as common as the Fords & Chevys.

Any reason to look for one of those?

Old 06-14-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I see the NV200 is a compact van. When people mentioned Nissan vans,
I thought they were referring to the big V-8 rear-wheel-drive model,
which resembles a Ford or Chevy work van... although they
don't seem to be nearly as common as the Fords & Chevys.

Any reason to look for one of those?
Obviously, the NV200 with a 4-cylnder engine will be getting better miles/gallon than a V6 or V8.

Some people like the "compactness" of the NV200, with an easy-in and easy-out in cities.

There's another YouTuber I watch from Pennsylvania, Dave's RV Life, who had an old Class A Fleetwood Bounder RV, but is now downsizing and building out a 2000 Ford E-250 with a V8 into a camper van to live in.

It's just him and his dog, Bella, you can watch his progress in his videos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing