Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 07:17 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,160,384 times

Advertisements

1.5 years ago we got a 2022 Class A Thor and could not be happier.

Thor sent replacement free parts even when not defective - I had a truck taking my driver side mirror off on the freeway. Once we arrived to destination I called Thor, told them that I need a new mirror so I can safely return home and told them it was an accident, not a defect; I asked to buy one and pay for fast delivery.

Thor had one ship overnight to me while I was in a resort, absolutely free! They said they'd not accept any money in first year of ownership.

If one wants access to luxury RV resorts, they need to have a Class A (no other class motor homes nor trailers are accepted) less than 10 years old.
Plus you get warranty and less ware expenses with new ones, so in time you get to same price.

Like anything else, if you maintain it it should last for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2022, 08:06 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Too many big companies, and especially all Thor companies made the switch to chintzier components, especially those that are less visible in the showroom. They did this in order to maximize profits (required if you have shareholders). As a result, many of the companies making component parts that focused more on quality have gone out of business. Because of this, companies like Newmar, Grand Design and little companies like Artic fox cannot obtain higher quality components even if they are willing to sacrifice some profits for higher quality
Downward pressure is also caused by buyers, who want the largest RVs possible for the money they are willing/able to spend. This leads to lighter-weight structures. People vastly underestimate the stresses that RVs must bear. Anytime you drive over 55, you are subjecting your RV to the equivalent of a gale force wind for hours on end.

Old 01-15-2023, 07:32 AM

5 posts, read 18,561 times
You might want to look at KZ brand. I believe most RVs built in the last several years have at least minor quality problems, and KZ is the same. But, underneath, KZ is built heavier and solidly as they are slanted more toward hunters and outdoors enthusiasts. We have a 2018 311TH10 5th wheel toy hauler and love it. Had several small problems initially but solid after that.

Old 02-08-2023, 10:57 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,427,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Anyone have make, models or yrs to avoid -- or ones to look for to be a best buy? Keeping price under 70K max. Also how old is too old yr-wise?
Some parks do have a 10 year rule but if the unit looks nice they make exceptions. Avoid the Covid years made during 2020 (not necessarily a 2020 model if it was made prior but labeled 2020) through 2022. Get an inspection by a RV inspector prior to purchase. This is a must in used RV's and should be done in new as well. The biggest issue to deal with is leaks and mold and delamination.

Old 06-09-2023, 06:36 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,318,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Beauty is int he eye of the beholder. I can see quality issues in the pictures that you posted. However I am not going to belabor the issue. Your mind is made up and so is mine.

OK, revisiting this.

"Quality issues?" How can you see if anything is broken/not functioning/falling apart/leaking or anything other than design in those pictures? The coach is now 8 1/2 years old and other than the cheap Chinese tires giving out (and are replaced with high quality American trailer tires for a few years now) NOTHING has gone wrong or broken or leaked. It tows really nicely.

Now, we ARE selling it as we have just bought an older Class A (2007 Tiffin Allegro 34WA. Looked at a lot of rigs before deciding on this one). Partly because when we bought the trailer it was just my wife and I to go traveling with a couple dogs. Now we have 2 grandsons that will be coming with us occasionally and we wanted extra space than in the trailer for them and my son and his wife. (The Allegro sleeps 6 easily and has vastly more storage space than the trailer). And partially as it's easier to maneuver in gas stations and campgrounds than the truck and trailer combo. Same in my driveway and my son's driveway. None of the parks we go to (or want to go to) have that stupid "keep out the poors" 10 year rule. lol It seems to be good quality and has held up well, other than the Carefree awning that the fabric was torn (and so was removed from the rig. New awning fabric is under $400 so I'm going to do that fairly soon).
Attached Thumbnails
Best vs worst used RV brands?-allegro01.jpg   Best vs worst used RV brands?-allegro02.jpg  

Old 06-09-2023, 10:54 AM

768 posts, read 858,461 times
Somehow these resorts and parks judging you on the type and year of the RV you can afford, are no better than the cliquey, judgey, folks you find at over 55 resorts and parks. Who in the world thinks that they can do that and who in their right mind would take this phoney judgement? Not me.....

Old 07-09-2023, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 1,519 times
The worst RV brand I have used might be Coleman. Its materials are so terrible in quality that I often need to buy replacements for their parts. leaky roofs, loose seams, and malfunctioning thermostats, which are a hassle and expensive.

Old 07-12-2023, 11:05 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,661,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
Somehow these resorts and parks judging you on the type and year of the RV you can afford, are no better than the cliquey, judgey, folks you find at over 55 resorts and parks. Who in the world thinks that they can do that and who in their right mind would take this phoney judgement? Not me.....
The main purpose of putting an age limit on rvs is with the hopes of warding off the type of people that have 20 year old campers that are falling apart. The idea is that if they don't maintain their rigs they're likely not going to maintain their site and could potentially be a liability while in the park.

However, we kept our fifth wheel at one of these places for a summer and saw many RVs that were older than 10 years. They were as clean and well kept as my new one. I questioned the desk (I had no issue with them being there) and they said that while they do have the rule, if someone wants to bring an older one in and can prove via pictures in an email that it's been kept in nice condition that they will allow them to book in the park. If they arrive and it's in good condition they can stay with no issues. Made perfect sense to me.

We saw a guy with a 25 year old Dutchmen fifth wheel being pulled by a 1992 F250. Both the rv and the truck literally looked brand new. It was really cool to see.

Old 07-12-2023, 03:28 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Owners with 2000- 2005 Gulfstream BT Cruisers, are nuts about them.

I think I'll find a pre 2005 and drop in a 7.3 Diesel (free Home-brew fuel is my future (and my past)

https://www.rvtrader.com/2000-2008-G...ar=2000%3A2008
20 yrs old I'd bet the roof is trouble

Old 07-12-2023, 03:30 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
My buddy is shopping for a diesel pusher now.........prices are 1/2 of new

Covid is gone so is the demand and the low interest rates= lets make a deal time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing