Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 11:44 PM

3,558 posts, read 1,677,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Mine is 34 years old. If a park told me $75 I would be seeking out the nearest Wal-Mart anyway.
I have no idea about RVing but local Walmart here has a sign, no overnight parking. No idea whether its enforced or what, but they obviously dont want liability of overnight campers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 02:29 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,820,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I have no idea about RVing but local Walmart here has a sign, no overnight parking. No idea whether its enforced or what, but they obviously dont want liability of overnight campers.
Just depends on the Walmart and/or municipality.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:01 PM

4,629 posts, read 6,461,087 times
Quote:
Darn cant bring my old parrot with me, huh?
I saw a couple taking their Scarlet Macaw out for a walk in an RV park...

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-25-2021, 05:01 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,843,849 times
Quote:
Corporate policy of WalMart is to allow overnighters. But local ordinances may prohibit it, and managers have discretion to shut it down if people abuse it. But there are lots of WalMarts, and plenty of them do allow it.

Always call and ask.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:24 PM

2,458 posts, read 1,726,358 times
Quote:
Darn cant bring my old parrot with me, huh?
My Senagal pair are 28 and 29 and my Orange Wing Amazon was a old wild caught bird back in 1981. So looks like mine have to stay home also.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:06 AM

11,085 posts, read 4,732,641 times
I have heard of such, but not visited any. we do mostly boondocking in NW PA in a 27 year old motorhome. Just got back from a rather upscale rv park/campground in cape may NJ and no one asked.

we are about to upgrade to 'almost new' trailer....and will tow it with a 31 year old suburban ;-)

Old 08-02-2021, 09:56 AM

319 posts, read 202,699 times
Quote:
It's a courtesy by the company that has been abused. Instead of just being "overnight then move along" people actually set up camp, putting out their awning, chairs and food prep equipment. In some of the more touristy areas, RV park owners have enough clout to sway local ordinances in their favor and ban Walmart parking.

There are lists floating around; some you have to pay for; where one can find updated information on which Walmarts allow overnight and which ones don't. I also heard of a tip from a youtube RVer. They state that the best place to park is usually near the garden center if Wi-Fi is important. For some reason, wi-fi strength is better at that end of the store.

The '10 Year Rule.' I've checked out a number of sites while making travel plans who state "over 10 years, send us a picture."

Pets - my puppers get a lot more exercise on the road than at home. Each new campsite is exciting for them. They want to run (on a leash) and sniff.

Old 08-02-2021, 01:15 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,672,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv Chins View Post
It's a courtesy by the company that has been abused. Instead of just being "overnight then move along" people actually set up camp, putting out their awning, chairs and food prep equipment. In some of the more touristy areas, RV park owners have enough clout to sway local ordinances in their favor and ban Walmart parking.

There are lists floating around; some you have to pay for; where one can find updated information on which Walmarts allow overnight and which ones don't. I also heard of a tip from a youtube RVer. They state that the best place to park is usually near the garden center if Wi-Fi is important. For some reason, wi-fi strength is better at that end of the store.

The '10 Year Rule.' I've checked out a number of sites while making travel plans who state "over 10 years, send us a picture."

Pets - my puppers get a lot more exercise on the road than at home. Each new campsite is exciting for them. They want to run (on a leash) and sniff.
great post!

& we have a 24.5ft, '17 travel trailer just bought. need a rig to pull it as my small pickup cant. prolly a used f-150 (back before 2015 or older)? hi miles are ok if highway miles & found some low prices under 15K (but near 200 K miles)? trailer is rated ultra-light at less than 6K lbs, so need a tow capacity of about 9K to 10K lbs -- max.

f-150s fit it well, i guess? wanted a 2 wheel drive, as guys say no to a 4x4 as a puller, but why?? but 4's are better if we travel into winter areas, no? im novice here so TY for info.

also, re pets; was told since travel trailers arent made for generators/ nor fit them in the trailer anywhere (for boondocking, etc.) they say; a gen. can be bought but carbon monoxide is concern. thus was told by rv guys to keep a gen. away from trailer? dunno re that & how & what i'd need do there.

also, no idea re gen. brand or size needed to buy -- to power everything? walmart has one under $500 but Honda I know is a big name. any advice re generators to use in this tiny of a trailer, if we hit the road for cross country trip?

Ok, TY experts, lol.

im rookie in this league,

i feel as if im building 'noah's ark' -- piece by piece here!

Old 08-02-2021, 01:20 PM

30,701 posts, read 80,132,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Another worry is the older the trailer the more risk the wiring/electrical system is a fire/short hazard, & so makes it a fire risk or even harder to insure?? Is there truth to either of THESE concerns? This was told me by an RV park I called today.
Actually the opposite is probably a bigger risk. A new rig is more apt to have problems that have not yet been discovered or identified. Most new rigs come with a plethora of problems, many often electrical, that the owner has to work out during the first two years. That is why the common wisdom is to buy an Rv that is at least two years old. If that is their concern, they should say no rigs newer than two years or older than ten. Of course the brand is probably a better determinier of the risk of defects than the age. A brand new Thor carries a lot more risk than even a 20 year old Prevost.

I have never heard older RVs are harder to insure, but it should not make any difference. Liability insurance is required for anything that is on the road. An RV of any age could be travelling illegally without liability insurance. If that is the concern, ask for a copy of the insurance certificate regardless of the age of the RV. There is little likelihood that a liability issue would arise anyway unless the RV park has people so close together that a fire in one rig would spread to another. In any event it seems that a campfire or a charcoal grill would be a far greater fire risk than a 10 year old RV. Maybe the better rule would be no propane powered refrigerators, or no propane rigs period.

No reason for the park to care about whether they have comprehensive insurance. So the insurance issue is irrelevant to anyone except the owner.

There is only one logical reason for those rules and that is pure snobbery. "We do not want to be around anyone who does not pay the premium for a new RV." It is the same snobbery that goes into the idea that some people will only live in all new construction subdivisions. Which is why many of us are saying we woudl not want to stay at such an RV park anyway.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:32 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,713,147 times
I can kind of see why some parks might implement this rule. In some of our local campgrounds there are plenty of run down mid 90-s campers that look pretty similar to Cousin Eddie's rv in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Moldy, window units sticking out the sides, windows taped up, etc... just overall in poor condition. Typically within a few days their campsites mimic their camper. In that regard, I appreciate that some campgrounds are trying to prohibit everyone else from having to look at that. I certainly don't want to walk out the front door at the lake and look over at Cousin Eddie in his jean shorts, no shirt, with debris piled up around his door.

On the other hand, I've seen a few very nice older rigs where you could tell the owner takes pride in their camper. Recently a nice older gentleman came in with a 99 Terry 5ver being pulled by a 1995 F350. The camper looked brand spanking new and the truck looked like it had never seen rain in its life. The campground that we were staying in happily waived the requirement and let him in. It was nice to see such pride of ownership.

I don't know if it's the same in all parks, but the ones we frequent around here are all like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing