Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2022, 08:01 AM

1,108 posts, read 527,950 times

Advertisements

Just completed 34 days following the the Big Muddy form the headwaters to New Orleans with 23 other rigs. The trip was fantastic we traveled along the old river roads, had great rv sites along the river, went to all kinds of attractions from river cruises, museums, dinners, sea plane rides, national eagle preserve, civil war sites and even a ride up in the arch is St Louis. There were several full timers in 40 foot buses, travel trailers, class c coaches and even a couple in van conversion. There were two ladies traveling by themselves.

We decided to spend our money here in the US and recommend you try it. We liked it so much we are going to do 38 days in the rockies next Aug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 04:52 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
Just completed 34 days following the the Big Muddy form the headwaters to New Orleans...
The "Lucas Davenport" author did another earlier series of interesting books
with details of travel along the Big Muddy (out of St Paul MN) a common theme.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/s/j...novels-1-4.htm

Old 11-04-2022, 05:28 AM

1,409 posts, read 748,130 times
Sounds fun.

A few years ago I drove to New Orleans and starting there I traveled north along the river (in the most impractical car you can imagine for this trip), crossing it every chance I could. Over the next 4 days I crossed the river on 14 bridges and 2 ferries, stopping when I got to Cairo. The Great River Road is interesting, although a bit disappointing in how much (or little) you can actually see the river as you go.

I always wanted to continue the trip starting at Cairo and going north, but never got around to it.

Pictures from my trip. I got some really terrific shots of the bridges - Mississippi River Driving Tour 2012!

Old 05-18-2023, 10:09 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I want to do a music-themed road trip from St. Louis south to New Orleans and probably Lafayette Louisianna -- St. Louis, Memphis, Clarksdale, New Orleans, Lafayette... Where else?

Old 05-19-2023, 03:23 AM

537 posts, read 443,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I want to do a music-themed road trip from St. Louis south to New Orleans and probably Lafayette Louisianna -- St. Louis, Memphis, Clarksdale, New Orleans, Lafayette... Where else?
I lived in Memphis many years, and a tour of the Great River Road has no draw for me.

I would prefer to start in Nashville then Muscle Shoals, west to Memphis (Stax Museum) and down to Clarksdale where the people still sing the blues.

Save yourself some driving.

There's so much to see in Nashville that they don't call it Music City USA for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing