Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 01:47 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times

Advertisements

So many questions. We're a fifty-something couple (both high school teachers) in New Mexico getting our first camper. Taking advantage of summers off, etc: So here's the questions:
1. Under-30 foot class A or under-30 foot Class C?
2. We'll almost always be traveling with two German Shepherd mix dogs. (I'll add a separate post for this question)
3. Getting used, and probably under $50K. Recommendations for RVs? (to get or stay away from)
4. Been looking at the Winnebago View and the Itasca Navion (Sprinter Chassis, mostly because we think it would be a good first-timer RV setup w good diesel mpg).
5. gas or diesel...........?????
6. When going to cities, I'm thinking nearby RV park and Uber in for sightseeing. Thoughts? (Will not be towing anything.)
7. Best websites/online info for folks like me just starting out with all this?
8. other thoughts or opinions?
Thanks everyone. I know it's a lot. Any advice welcome.

Last edited by kpl1228; 04-04-2023 at 02:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 04:12 PM

674 posts, read 607,718 times
Have you looked at YouTube? I am sure there are channels and posters dedicated to that lifestyle.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:23 PM

1,409 posts, read 748,130 times
The decisions are endless. Based on a few years of hindsight, in the under 30 foot category I would take the class A. Less wasted room at the front and the comparatively small size hopefully negates a lot of the performance problems with gas engines and box truck chassis.

We test drove both class C and class A (although somewhat larger than you're looking at) and ended up buying a diesel F350 and a 5th wheel. We were planning to go long distances for months at at time and I just couldn't stomach the lack of power in gas engines.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
The decisions are endless. ....
Information is endless...

this group is very comprehensive and helpful, they even offer aa RV boot camp.
https://escapees.com/education/rvers-boot-camp/
https://rvlifestyle.com/basic-guide-to-rv-clubs/
https://campaddict.com/discount-camping-rv-clubs/
https://nrvta.com/nrvta-training-programs/
https://www.fmca.com/academy

I prefer diesel, but not sure I could digest a Sprinter or Mercedes maint expense. Hopefully you can do it yourself. Clean DRY fuel is a must for diesel, and as grandpa said... you MUST fill at the end of a run / before overnight, as diesel tanks are warm (over supplied fuel (from high volume high pressure pump) that is not burnt is returned to tank) and tanks condensate, and diesel fuel is hydroscopic. = BAD combination if abused) Just fill up after a long run, and use VERY high quality filters and change annually, or if you ever get a bad batch of fuel. Know how to do this! Carry spare parts. I've been a diesel head since birth (truck driver parents). I currently have over 50 diesel vehicles. My favorite (wish) is a Safari Trek shorty with a Izuzu 4cyl diesel and a jack screw drop down queen bed. (Class A, vintage 1990). DON'T get the GM diesel version !!!!!

Get a rig with (2) doors, so you can escape in case of fire... and escape each other after too many weeks on the road!

Here's a nice 2 yr RV blog from c-d poster (Looking for Mayberry)
RAWH

Old 04-05-2023, 10:08 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times
Thanks all! Looking forward to it all.

Old 04-05-2023, 02:05 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
4. Been looking at the Winnebago View and the Itasca Navion (Sprinter Chassis, mostly because we think it would be a good first-timer RV setup w good diesel mpg).
5. gas or diesel...........?????
I have a Sprinter which I enjoy... until it comes time to fill up and I have to fork over $100.

Old 04-05-2023, 03:51 PM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Are you definitely set on motor home?

We started out that way, but then we started thinking about what happens if there's a breakdown - your house is in the shop. When you get to your destination you've got to drive the big thing around, or carry a moped, or pull a car behind, which is basically trailering something that's not even designed to be a trailer. With a travel trailer RV you have a truck or heavy van, whcih you can detach and use normally, any mechanic in the US will be able and willing to work on it (unlike the motor home).

We ended up going with a nice travel trailer and a full size truck with towing package. We were wanting/needing a truck anyway as we own some country property.

There's no right or wrong decision, but it's worth considering.

Old 04-05-2023, 04:20 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
1. Under-30 foot class A or under-30 foot Class C?
2. We'll almost always be traveling with two German Shepherd mix dogs.
What do you use now to go around town with the two BIG dogs?
I'm thinking a Chevy Suburban or similar would suit the need well.

If you had that already... then a pull behind camper would allow separate quarters
and a whole lot more latitude for what you can do once out there.
Attached Thumbnails
We're a couple of RV rookies getting our first motorhome-a0xxg09.jpg  

Old 04-05-2023, 04:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
... what happens if there's a breakdown - your house is in the shop. ...
There's no right or wrong decision, but it's worth considering.
bring along a toad (towed vehicle).

I really like have a few 50 mpg options for run-about when I find a location I want to stay. (I bring a light diesel car, and sometimes a motorcycle or two.) E-bikes are popular tag-alongs. A FT RV friend had the engine blow up on his 35' tow trailer toter (big pickup). He spend all winter without a vehicle and it was cold and snowy! ick.

Quote:
I have a Sprinter which I enjoy... until it comes time to fill up and I have to fork over $100.
I would love to know the maint costs / mile over the ownership period.

My mom did very well with her Dodge Roadtrek (not diesel) but... 2 big dogs and another person yikes (I'd rather stay home). My dogs are farm dogs, so they enjoy their outdoor jobs (and freedom). They might come inside the house 2x a yr during blizzards, but don't move from the door, and are anxious to get outside as soon as the door opens. We can leave them home for up to a couple months (I think they prefer that!) Neighbor knows what's going on, and if dogs need anything.

Old 04-05-2023, 05:16 PM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times

https://www.irv2.com/forums/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing