Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2023, 09:03 AM

768 posts, read 858,141 times

Advertisements

In my past life of showing and field trialing Labrador Retrievers, there was a good deal of camping involved. Mostly at different state fairgrounds. However, with the influx and mass popularity of camping, all I read are complaints about the camping fees, and the lack of sites, the lack of amenities, the quality or lack thereof, of the roads, etc and of course, the higher than believable, cost of gas. I just don't understand the draw in selling your home to hit the road in a more-than-expensive RV and driving all over the country. It seems that it is something "to do" for those who might be retiring and yet, hasn't been thought out completely. As we age, don't we need stability a bit more....physicians, surgeons, family proximity....I know I have to be missing something and I haven't even touched on the safety of a lot of naive folks out on the road with little to zero protection for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2023, 02:10 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
... I just don't understand the draw in selling your home to hit the road in a more-than-expensive RV and driving all over the country.
... It seems that it is something "to do" for those who might be retiring and yet, hasn't been thought out completely.
Most people will agree with you. The folks who frequent RV sites? Not so much.

Old 05-20-2023, 03:41 PM

1,409 posts, read 748,130 times
Full-timing doesn't make much sense to us. The huge majority of campers are not built to last with that kind of usage, especially if they're being moved frequently. I mean, I love our camper but after a total of about 400 nights on the road it's showing a good bit of wear and tear and there have been a couple pricey repairs.

We just want to be gone 5 to 7 months a year and home the rest. It sucks to spend money maintaining a house while you're not there to enjoy it, but having a home base to return to makes it worthwhile.

Old 05-20-2023, 04:06 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
Former full timer here.

I had my rig for 14 years. It was a 34 foot class A with 2 slide outs. I drove it 40,000 miles. Drove it to 34 states and quite a few provinces. The last years, it was my only home. There was no home to go back to.

It is not a lifestyle for everyone. But I can tell you that I saw more amazing places in a year than some people will see in their lifetime. I did most of the famous national parks. I hit quite a few lesser known national monuments.

I found living on the road was less expensive when compared to apartment living in Maryland. I usually stayed in each location for a month. That got me the lowest per night rate. Paid $440 for the month to spend it in Tombstone, AZ. I was 2 miles from all the action in downtown Tombstone. Many other places ran $600 - $800 a month including electricity.

I volunteered a few times with various state parks. I gave them a few hours of labor. I got a full hook up site for free. I enjoyed interacting with the staff and various campers.

I did preventive maintenance every other year on the rig. I'd get a hotel room or house sit for someone.

My rig was purchased used. I can say that I got enough enjoyment and satisfaction out of it to cover the cost of the purchase. I had that rig in Fairbanks, Alaska all the way down to the Florida Keys.

Here's a link to my post on here about full time RVing: link

Like anything else in life, check it out thoroughly before you dive in the deep end. And if you do take the plunge, good luck.

Old 05-22-2023, 12:47 PM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Also to consider is that it's a possible inexpensive alternative to the many aging boomers priced out of housing in some areas. There are a lot of used Class A and large travel trailers sitting around unused and for sale at 10K or less. One can park at a campground with long term spaces or negotiate with a homeowner on a larger tract of land to lease electric-water-septic access and stay parked with a vehicle for errands etc.

Old 05-22-2023, 01:27 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Also to consider is that it's a possible inexpensive alternative to the many aging boomers priced out of housing in some areas. There are a lot of used Class A and large travel trailers sitting around unused and for sale at 10K or less. One can park at a campground with long term spaces or negotiate with a homeowner on a larger tract of land to lease electric-water-septic access and stay parked with a vehicle for errands etc.
If a person did that as a permanent site, it would have to be somewhere with very mild winters. Campers are not built for the cold.

Old 05-22-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
If a person did that as a permanent site, it would have to be somewhere with very mild winters. Campers are not built for the cold.
I agree, pretty much the entire Southeast US (Tennessee and the Carolinas southward) would work though.

Old 05-26-2023, 05:29 AM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
I agree. With rising prices on rent, taxes, food, etc. It's an alternative many may consider. As for climate, the Southern states may be the best solution. Plus, these types of homes can be insulated to be more comfortable.

Many of us are on fixed incomes and unable to afford rising prices. I have seen a greater interest in tiny home communities and this may be a solution for a lot of us. It's a matter of regulations and what can be achieved with these type of communities but may be a viable solution.

Old 05-26-2023, 06:46 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
I stealth-camp everywhere, there's a bit of a learning curve there, bu it beats $80 a night at motels. Economics is my main objective.

As for long-term, most states have towns where a safe apartment can be rented for under $1,000 a month, which is less per night than camping fees at state parks.

Old 05-26-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I stealth-camp everywhere, there's a bit of a learning curve there, bu it beats $80 a night at motels. Economics is my main objective.

As for long-term, most states have towns where a safe apartment can be rented for under $1,000 a month,
which is less per night than camping fees at state parks.
Errrr, not so much in 2023. Towns as stated versus cities perhaps, but that's far from ideal for retirees needing varying services and decent healthcare nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing