Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 06:08 PM

13 posts, read 40,644 times

Advertisements

First Time Driving 35' RV from Pa to Az Advice in planning such a trip
my family of six rented a RV to travel from pa to az for the first time
driving such a intimidating machine.
we're heading out july 4th and i would love some helpful hints on what to bring
and what to plan for.
we are traveling through the smokey mountains and then head towards
new orleans and then to texas to hit a wonderful water park.
then head up towards grand canyon and back to phoenix for a 4 day pit stop
then back home direct route to PA
I did book one reservation at a koa campsite in new orleans.
is it better to try to just play by ear and pull over at one i see or book
ahead a time as we travel towards phoenix arizona.
any advice would be great thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 08:33 PM

681 posts, read 2,918,862 times
Others may provide more detail, but I'm going to suggest some basics.
*You are wider than your car. Get used to it fast.
*You are slower than your car. Get used to that fast, too.
*It takes longer for you to stop. 'Nuff said?
*Learn to scan both side mirrors and your rear screen every 20 seconds or so to know where you are in the lane and where the other traffic going your way is.
*On narrow roads when you are holding up traffic look for places to safely turn off and let them all pass.
*Your family may be having fun but you need to pay attention to the road and drive all the time. Its unfortunate, but true.
*Appoint a navigator and follow her (his) directions, but make sure they learn to tell you early enough so you can safely do so.
*And finally, you are taller than your car. Go around at stations, instead of under low canopies. Crashing your top in just ruins vacations.

Have fun.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:45 PM

18,951 posts, read 43,842,385 times
Watch the temp gauge, especially in the mountainous areas. When in the Smokeys, I don't recommend driving the RV on hwy 441 across the mountains, it's VERY tight and steep.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:20 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,193,257 times
I've traveled all over the country pulling a 35 ft 5th wheel. As far as reservations are concerned, I wouldn't worry about them. Too many things can happen with a RV. Slow day and you'll end up hurrying, late at night, tired, trying to make that reservation. Next day, no traffic and you make it to your next reservation at 2 in the afternoon.

But I would stop early. About 6pm the rv parks fill up fast. So stop about 4-4:30.

Also, many towns have free parks. We have one here in town. There's no hookups, but there is a beautiful shady area, lots of lawn, big creek running buy, bathrooms and showers. But hey, it's free. The Chamber of Commerce in any town will gladly speak up if they have one.

One last thing. If you get into a spot, most all Wal-Marts welcome RV'rs to park on their lot. Need to scope out the parking lot and park out toward the fringe, but they don't mind. With an RV, you'll be set up to park for a night and you won't need hookups.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:06 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,547,466 times
I'm sure you'll find the links handy

iRV2.com - RV information for all types of RV'ers.

Search for RV Campgrounds by Highway or Town

Old 06-21-2008, 12:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,490,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Watch the temp gauge, especially in the mountainous areas. When in the Smokeys, I don't recommend driving the RV on hwy 441 across the mountains, it's VERY tight and steep.
In fact unless you're familiar with the various state and U.S. highways through the Smokeys, stick to the interstate. A lot of those switchbacks are way too tight for anything bigger than a UPS truck. Here are some pictures from U.S. 129 on the TN/NC border, AKA "The Dragon" . . .

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC

Old 06-21-2008, 03:42 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,360,437 times
How many weeks are you planning for this trip?

In my experience, most folks put way too much emphasis on "getting places" and not enough time on "being places" to relax and enjoy what the area has to offer.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:00 PM

hey thanks for the tips i looked at the pictures and they
all seemed intimidating all right!

Old 06-21-2008, 05:01 PM

thanks mouser I booked marked them on my laptop
and gave them a look over, they where very useful!!

Old 06-21-2008, 05:04 PM

Hey franklyn, I love the humor and the serious advice i will take it
slow and steady!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing