Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 06:47 AM

40 posts, read 480,456 times

Advertisements

We're planning a 2-week trip to Miami / Florida Keys late March 09.

Recommendations on anything and everything appreciated:

route, campgrounds, must see attractions, any day spa recommendations, tour recommendations, safety, etc.

Thanks, CaTe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 03:49 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,275,543 times
Default Do your research

One year we drove the whole state of FL.
Started at St. Augustine on east coast, all the way down to the keys, then back up the state on the gulf side.

We were very disappointed with the keys. Nothing there. Everyone hangs and watches the sunset, but that's about it. Don't expect much. The people were nice.
The beaches were terrible. Couldn't even go out on them.
The drive down there was pretty & a bit freaky if your afraid of water.

DESTIN WAS VERY NICE (IN THE PANHANDLE). White powder for sand & emerald green water. JUST BEAUTIFUL !!!

Enjoy your ride, but do your research.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:55 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,386,892 times
Take a smooth road, like I-10, as motor homes tend to bounce. And, make reservations on internet for everything. From parking a motor home to restaurants and museums, everything in Key West is booked all the time.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:39 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,147,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
Take a smooth road, like I-10, as motor homes tend to bounce. And, make reservations on internet for everything. From parking a motor home to restaurants and museums, everything in Key West is booked all the time.
Unless they have done work on I-10 since the last time we traveled it about a year ago, the stretch from Beaumont to Lafayette isn't good. Our motorhome was bounced around a lot and we had to slow down considerably. I must say that I agree with ESFP that reservations are key in Florida. You can visit Woodalls and Trailer Life both here on the net and they will give you assistance with campgrounds, fees, and information.

When it comes to what to do and see in FL there are too many to mention. I think you'll need to narrow it down to your likes and dislikes, before we can mention many by name. Do you like golf, water recreation, theme parks, historical places, the beach? A person can easily spend a week in Orlando alone. And most people don't realize that it is easily a two day drive just to get from Pensacola to Miami leisurely depending on weather, traffic, etc.

Something else you will want to consider is the size of your rig when heading to the Keys. Will you be pulling a tow? This is a usually more convenient way to "see the sights" of FL.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:24 PM

40 posts, read 480,456 times
Thanks for the info.
I've done my homework and found answers to my questions on other generously informed forums.

Sorry for the poster who dislikes sharing the roads with motorhomes.
Must be something personal or a mirror to unhappiness in his/her life.
God bless him/her.

Thanks, CaTe

Old 02-26-2009, 07:53 PM

137 posts, read 615,742 times
That's a loaded question! If you are still checking, don't forget about state parks and national forest campgrounds. Reserveamerica.com is a good place to get reservations for public campgrounds. Do you like water? Give the USACE (US Army Corp Of Engineers) lakes and campgrounds a try. Looking for a place to find all the above information in one place? Try www.rv-camping.org and click on the state you want information about.

Have a Great Trip!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:59 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,454,873 times
I have always wanted to visit the Fort that is down on one of the outlying islands, I don't know the name. Its brick and from the 1800s. Dr. Mudd who patched up the guy who shot Lincoln was sent there. I hear you have to take a boat out to the island however.

The other thing I was always interested in is the shop that shows off items of treasure pulled from the sea in that area.

I hate hurricanes because of the harm they do but they are an amazing force. I have always enjoyed the locals devil may care attitude when a hurricane is coming to shore, they stand against that huge buoy that is the Southern most point of the US and let the waves and the wind wash over them.

There is so much to see, I hope you enjoy yourself. I personally would get a GPS set up because there are areas you don't want to get lost in.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:12 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,289,865 times
I spent a winter in Florida and thought I had died and gone to heaven. since I'd left 30 inches of snow behind. We lived in a suburb with paved streets and few trees. The only thing I did not like was opening my front door to be greeted by a poisonious copperhead that was coiled and ready to strike. The only thing that saved my 2 year old was the half-devoured frog stuck in its mouth. A neighbor killed it. His only comment was snakes and scorpions were common in Florida. I never returned. Florida has grown considerably in the last 30 years.

I've never been to the Keyes. A number of years ago, I was told by an ex-resident that is is a fun loving, non=stop party scene during toursit season, that is arty, very laid back, crowded and expensive. She lived there thirty years before moving to the 'mainland' and then into the midwest.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:08 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,313,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaTe0508 View Post

route, campgrounds, must see attractions, any day spa recommendations, tour recommendations, safety, etc.

Thanks, CaTe
Texas to the Florida Keys by road? I envy you.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:53 AM

285 posts, read 928,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaTe0508 View Post

Thanks, CaTe
Come on down! Spend all of your money, have a great time, take lots of pictures. Everyone in this forum gave you good advice on things to see and do. My only advice. Please stay in the right hand lane while driving on the 4 lane roadways unless your motor home can get up and run like a race car. I almost got in and accident on i-75 because of slow traffic not staying in the right lane last weekend.

Last edited by Matt2225; 03-05-2009 at 02:55 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing