Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 02:10 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,239,294 times

Advertisements

If I were going in a rv, I believe I'd invest in one of those portable battery jumpers, some have hazard warning flashers, flashlights and small air compressors too. I can recall at least twice when we needed one in a national forest (desolate area) campground. I had to fire up our generator which had a 12 volt battery charger to jump our camper because our power inverter wore the camper battery down running the fridge and lighting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 11:58 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,602,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
And with all that said and done. Just one more thing to remember, leave the laptop at home!!!!!!!!!!! Your there to enjoy time with each other and the great outdoors.
I would disagree with this, but only for the reason that there is a lot a laptop can be used for to enhance the trip. From time to time, it's nice to have the ability to find places to eat or things to see in the vicinity of where you will be. Even when I travel (not in an RV), I like to take my computer along, sometimes just to find the place I will stay the next night (I make hotel/motel reservations occasionally). I also like to use it to map out directions if I'm not sure of where I'll be going.

I do not recommend using it just to surf the web or play games when you camp (I feel the same about TV). This is the time to enjoy being outdoors, so a good walk or bike ride, or just sitting outside talking with friends and family is a much better option.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Give me my wife, bikes, canoe, fishing rods and the water to stand in and a nice camp fire at the end of the day and the day was well spent (together) .
I agree that all of this is much more satisfying that what you can get from playing computer games whether they be on a laptop, a portable game system, or on a console connected to the TV in the RV.

It saddens me to see someone so wrapped up in their media saturated lifestyle that they can't see the beauty of nature around them, and can't entertain themselves without the use of electronic gadgetry. What's the point of "camping" if all you do is pull the RV into a campsite, then fire up the generator to watch TV?

Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM

16 posts, read 114,026 times
It actually saddens me to see people so wrapped up in their own concept of what "camping" is that they can't quit peeking into someone else's camper to see if they're doing it up to their "standards". Everyone take it easy, climb down off your soapboxes and let other people enjoy their lives the way they want to. If they're not hurting you what's the problem?

If the guy or family in the next site wants to relax while watching TV or playing X-Box then I say, "Rock on!" It's NONE OF MY BUSINESS. They don't clear their itineraries with me, and I don't feel obliged to fill them in on my every move.

Besides, how can you know if these people never leave their camper? That would mean that you never leave yours either since you'd have to stay there and monitor them. That sounds like a blast. What's the point of "camping" if all you can manage to do is criticize others?

Old 08-18-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbeck View Post
It actually saddens me to see people so wrapped up in their own concept of what "camping" is that they can't quit peeking into someone else's camper to see if they're doing it up to their "standards". Everyone take it easy, climb down off your soapboxes and let other people enjoy their lives the way they want to. If they're not hurting you what's the problem?

If the guy or family in the next site wants to relax while watching TV or playing X-Box then I say, "Rock on!" It's NONE OF MY BUSINESS. They don't clear their itineraries with me, and I don't feel obliged to fill them in on my every move.

Besides, how can you know if these people never leave their camper? That would mean that you never leave yours either since you'd have to stay there and monitor them. That sounds like a blast. What's the point of "camping" if all you can manage to do is criticize others?
I have to admit that you're right, and I shouldn't be consumed by what others around me are doing, and I'm not. I really don't know if folks get out of their RVs when I'm not around, so I guess it's not really fair to say they sit inside watching TV all the time. I have seen folks that have been inside their RVs most of the time, if not the whole time I was in camp, but I don't know if they got out when I did.

My only point was that it seems to me to be a shame to be in a beautiful place, and then not to go out to enjoy it. From what I've seen of some people in camp, it appears they don't get to enjoy the beauty of the area, because when I've seen them, they've stayed inside their RV.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:52 PM

8 posts, read 24,467 times
1st item to buy is a surge protector. used to protect MH electrical stuff when using shore power.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:16 PM

If your looking for a camp ground try the following site

RV Park Reviews :: Home

Old 08-18-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I have to admit that you're right, and I shouldn't be consumed by what others around me are doing, and I'm not. I really don't know if folks get out of their RVs when I'm not around, so I guess it's not really fair to say they sit inside watching TV all the time. I have seen folks that have been inside their RVs most of the time, if not the whole time I was in camp, but I don't know if they got out when I did.

My only point was that it seems to me to be a shame to be in a beautiful place, and then not to go out to enjoy it. From what I've seen of some people in camp, it appears they don't get to enjoy the beauty of the area, because when I've seen them, they've stayed inside their RV.
henry david thoreau, not sure if he was a camper or RVer, said something about everyone has their own drummer.

I'm still confused why your concerned about campers. I'm sure they don't give you any thought at all. If this bothered me so I would go somewhere I couldn't see people around their campsite because they are out enjoying nature.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,775 posts, read 58,229,287 times
A tire wrench has been pretty handy this yr, (3x) especially for early season trips when the potholes are extra bad.

But the best Idea is WyoNewk's idea of paper and pencil to list stuff you forgot.

I do like having the laptop, as "freecampgrounds.com" is my tour guide. I did the 'then-came-Bronson' thing for too many yrs to ever think of paying for camping.

Wyoming ranks pretty high on my list ! (many city parks have free camping, used to be almost all cities (Except Buffalo, if you were a biker...))
Homesteader Park-Powell
Lander City Park
Torrington City Park
and best of all - "The Lusk Plunge"!!

Old 08-23-2009, 04:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,790,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post

I never really understand that either. Some of the state park campgrounds are so beautiful and even if you're traveling you can enjoy a nice hike and bonfire.

Then I think maybe the people sitting inside their RV's the whole time are not really out to "camp" but maybe travelling cross-country and just there to have some quiet off road time. It's still a lot better I'm sure than sitting in a motel room watching television.

I think they often do get outdoors. I've seen them even in KOA camps have a big cookup and campfire afterward and they are outside having fun. They probably just do different things as the mood strikes them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing