Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:59 PM

11 posts, read 31,660 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling in Dec from Bellingham to Cali in my RV. I am taking the 101 down the coast. Has anyone else done this drive? Any good spots I should not miss? Any good camping spots, RV resorts I should look out for?
Any help or suggestions appreciated.
thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 08:05 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
If being right on the ocean is desirable, try this place in Brookings, OR.

PORT OF BROOKINGS-HARBOR | R.V. Park

It's pretty neat in the summer, but even better (from a personal standpoint) in the winter months when the ocean is pounding and the salt spray is hitting the front windows of the RV.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:13 PM

Default great

hey thanks..if its off 101 I will probably stay there.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:28 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattimarine View Post
hey thanks..if its off 101 I will probably stay there.
Brookings is right on 101 just north of the California line. The RV park mentioned above is maybe 300 yards off 101.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:33 AM

66 posts, read 156,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattimarine View Post
I will be traveling in Dec from Bellingham to Cali in my RV. I am taking the 101 down the coast. Has anyone else done this drive? Any good spots I should not miss? Any good camping spots, RV resorts I should look out for?
Any help or suggestions appreciated.
thank you
Bellingham is a pretty neat place. Full of shopping trying to draw the Canadians down. I think it was about 20 minutes from Peace Arch Crossing. I lived in North Vancouver and used to cross to shop in Bellingham because I could not stand paying 14% sales tax.

Anyway I can't say any specific RV parks. But I can say some very special places you do not want to drive through without stopping. My favorite is Cannon Beach. With it's sidewalk cafes, antique shops and beautiful little cottages, this is a place to see. It's my favorite.

Next is Gold Beach, known for the best beaches on the entire 101.

Do not miss Astoria. It's a dumpy old Fishermans town. The entire economy is based on fishing and the USCG base that dominates the waterfront. Big ol Captians homes line the water front, most showing their age but brag about their charm.

I also love Lincoln City. There are 2 RV parks but we never stayed. We sure do love to visit.

Florence is another nice city simular to Lincoln City. Both Lincoln and Florence are very popular retirement areas.

Dont miss Coos Bay either. Nearby is some funny name like Umpqie Lighthouse State Park. Do not miss this park but give yourself a full day to explore. It is huge.

We did the whole coast in 3 days and seen just a blip on the map. There is too much to see and do. I cant wait to go back thataway again. You can bet we will make our home base in Cannon Beach. By the way, Cannon Beach was a getaway for Hippies back in better times. Many young Canadian Hippys traveled down to Cannon Beach and slept on the beach where pigs left the kids alone. Today it's a family place rather then a young persons getaway.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:51 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer View Post
Bellingham is a pretty neat place. Full of shopping trying to draw the Canadians down. I think it was about 20 minutes from Peace Arch Crossing. I lived in North Vancouver and used to cross to shop in Bellingham because I could not stand paying 14% sales tax.

Anyway I can't say any specific RV parks. But I can say some very special places you do not want to drive through without stopping. My favorite is Cannon Beach. With it's sidewalk cafes, antique shops and beautiful little cottages, this is a place to see. It's my favorite.

Next is Gold Beach, known for the best beaches on the entire 101.

Do not miss Astoria. It's a dumpy old Fishermans town. The entire economy is based on fishing and the USCG base that dominates the waterfront. Big ol Captians homes line the water front, most showing their age but brag about their charm.

I also love Lincoln City. There are 2 RV parks but we never stayed. We sure do love to visit.

Florence is another nice city simular to Lincoln City. Both Lincoln and Florence are very popular retirement areas.

Dont miss Coos Bay either. Nearby is some funny name like Umpqie Lighthouse State Park. Do not miss this park but give yourself a full day to explore. It is huge.

We did the whole coast in 3 days and seen just a blip on the map. There is too much to see and do. I cant wait to go back thataway again. You can bet we will make our home base in Cannon Beach. By the way, Cannon Beach was a getaway for Hippies back in better times. Many young Canadian Hippys traveled down to Cannon Beach and slept on the beach where pigs left the kids alone. Today it's a family place rather then a young persons getaway.
Wow I have checked out some of these places online and they look great. I definetly owe you a big THANK YOU! Ive got my map highlighted all over. I think it will take me longer like a week to go down 101. Hoping for good weather too. Again THANK YOU!!!

Old 10-04-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Brookings is right on 101 just north of the California line. The RV park mentioned above is maybe 300 yards off 101.
Thank you!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:43 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,439,815 times
How far into California are you going????
To the CA/Oregon border?
To the Bay Area?
To Los Angeles/Southern California???

It would help me know what I can and can't recommend. Also, if you don't want Californians to give you dirty looks (honestly, some people will) or look like a blatant tourist, avoid saying "Cali" while here (nobody here uses it, it is a nickname non-Californians use).

Old 10-07-2009, 01:37 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,650 times
If your coming into CA along the coast, check these places out:

Travel Info for the Redwood Forests of California, Eureka and Humboldt County

Patrick's Point SP

List of odd roadside attractions:
Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions

Old 10-07-2009, 09:38 PM

Default wont use cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
How far into California are you going????
To the CA/Oregon border?
To the Bay Area?
To Los Angeles/Southern California???

It would help me know what I can and can't recommend. Also, if you don't want Californians to give you dirty looks (honestly, some people will) or look like a blatant tourist, avoid saying "Cali" while here (nobody here uses it, it is a nickname non-Californians use).
Im going to Apple Valley which is outside Los Angeles. My Aunt lives there.
Then I will head to Quartzsite Arizona. Good to know about using abbr.
I never think about that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing