Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:27 PM

50 posts, read 159,608 times

Advertisements

A little more detail - I was born in Canada and still have Canadian citizenship. I became an American citizen around 14 years ago and I've lived in California for over 20 years with every-other-year visits north to see family and friends. Most of my family are back east in Ontario. If I was to move back to Canada what kind of bureaucratic nightmares would I be facing? I'm not sure if anyone here has ever done this. Right now my options (and we're talking 10+ years from now) are either moving to upper New York state, close to family, or back to Canada among family, but I've read that you have to jump through a lot of goddamn hoops. I know that the two countries have some sort of an agreement as far as Social Security (what will be left of it, anyhow) and Canada Pension Plan go, balancing out your take after retirement, but beyond that I have no clue what I'd have to do. All advice and comments welcome. Sure, I could read government websites, but the personal knowledge that people share here is always more illuminating and entertaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 08:07 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,841 times
The obvious items that would need attention would be switching your driver's licence (dead easy straight exchange) and acquiring a Social Insurance Number (if you don't already have one).

Ontario requires 90 days of actual residence in the province before government health care licks in, so you'd need some some of private insurance to bridge the gap. And, of course, you'd have to apply for an Ontario Health Card.

This is the first I've heard about a reciprocal arrangement with US Social Security and Canada Pension Plan.

My understanding was that both plans require recipients to contribute to the plan through employment in order to receive benefits, but if you have a site that says other wise, it would make interesting reading.

I would think each pension plan would pay out the amount permitted according to the payee's contribution level.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:39 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,955,492 times
United States
Infosheet on the Agreement on Social Security between Canada and United States

The Agreement on Social Security between Canada and the United States came into force on August 1, 1984.

The Agreement may help you qualify for old age and disability benefits from Canada and the United States if you contributed to both the Canada Pension Plan and the pension program of the United States, or if you lived in Canada and the United States.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:37 AM

984 posts, read 2,711,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
United States

The Agreement on Social Security between Canada and the United States came into force on August 1, 1984.

The Agreement may help you qualify for old age and disability benefits from Canada and the United States if you contributed to both the Canada Pension Plan and the pension program of the United States, or if you lived in Canada and the United States.
The way I read that information. your contribution to the US plan will help satisfy the minimum to be eligible to obtain Canadian benefits. But each countries plans will pay out the amounts based on your contribution. The amounts themselves don't rollover just the "minimum to be eligible" rule is satisfied where it might not be otherwise.

This is of course how I read it and not everyone would read it the same way.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:33 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
United States

Thanks, Gary

Old 03-25-2012, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 28,758 times
im 62 collecting social security male and ive been a us citizen since i was 12 born in windsor onterio canada in 1949.I was thinking about working in canada .Im a auto hail repair chaser whereever it damages cars with hail i will set up and hire sub contractors to do the paintless dent repair work.I dont want any surprises .getting a dba shouldnt be a problem.............. please help with the other problems

Old 03-25-2012, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 28,758 times
Default help

bs involved in a business in canada

Old 07-24-2012, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 27,754 times
Hi, I am a Canadian citizen. I moved to US in 1969 and have worked in US ever since. I am now 57, I want to move back to Canada. I know I can get my social security benefits but will I be able to have my Canadian old age pension at 65 even if I never lived in canada since I was 14 years old. I visited each summer and I have a cottage there. Any thoughts would be welcome

Old 07-24-2012, 09:12 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiannejones View Post
Hi, I am a Canadian citizen. I moved to US in 1969 and have worked in US ever since. I am now 57, I want to move back to Canada. I know I can get my social security benefits but will I be able to have my Canadian old age pension at 65 even if I never lived in canada since I was 14 years old. I visited each summer and I have a cottage there. Any thoughts would be welcome

Best to call Service Canada 1 - 800-277 - 9914
http://www.service.canada.gc.ca

I moved back to Canada after 20 years in the U.S. and I was told that I would not receive Canada Old age pension for any of the years I was in the U.S. after age 18.

They go with a 47 year baseline from age 18 to 65. You are allowed to be out of the country for 7 of those 47 years and you would still get the full pension.

So if you proceeded to live in Canada from age 58 to age 65 you would accrue 7 years of residency in Canada, and you would get 7/40ths of the canada old age pension. At least that is what they told me. I think the Canada Old Age Pension is around $600/month right now, so you would get 7/40s of $600. I don't believe the time you spent visiting your cottage each summer would count towards residency, because that was not a permanent residence. You have to have lived the majority of a year in Canada for it to count as a year of residence. (it might even be 8 months or something like that). But you never know. You would have to phone them.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 27,754 times
thank you. I do not plan on moving to canada, so even if I am canadian, it sounds like i cannot get the old age pension since i have been living in USA since I have been 14 yrs old. I guess I am not sure why i do not give up my citizenship at this point, it is more of a hassle to live in USA and not to be a US citizen. Tought that if i remained a canadian that I would at least get some old age pension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada