Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:08 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,427,873 times

Advertisements

Windsor is definitely a suburb of Detroit. It's part of Metro Detroit and the greater Michigan community, and yes, many people commute daily for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 12:22 AM

482 posts, read 2,420,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Windsor is definitely a suburb of Detroit. It's part of Metro Detroit and the greater Michigan community, and yes, many people commute daily for work.
When people in Windsor say they are going to a baseball game, airport, zoo, etc, they are referring to the Tigers, Metro Airport and the Detroit Zoo. Not the Blue Jays, Toronto Pearson Airport or the Toronto Zoo. Culturally it is more a part of Metro Detroit than the rest of Ontario.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:43 AM

455 posts, read 1,133,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Culturally maybe but far from technically. I believe in a suburb the vast majority of people commute into that city for work. Now i'm sure there are a lot of people in windsor who work in detroit from what i've heard though it is not the majority however and most people who live in windsor work in windsor.

Also windsor is in no way counted into metro detroit in any official way per the city or state.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:50 AM

311 posts, read 1,139,737 times
While I've never been to either of the cities I don't think it can be a suburb if they're in 2 different countries......

Old 02-10-2012, 11:04 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeMan8 View Post
While I've never been to either of the cities I don't think it can be a suburb if they're in 2 different countries......
It is probably not true for Windsor vs. Detroit but certainly you see this in Europe. Geneva, Switzerland has suburbs in France, for example.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:35 PM

84 posts, read 303,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22
Only about 3% of Windsorites commute to Detroit for work (this is nowhere near the standard needed to be considered a "suburb").

Windsor is a fully functioning stand-alone metro area with its own suburbs. Yes, we are culturally attached to Detroit but we are not reliant on that city for jobs.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:04 AM

482 posts, read 2,420,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty870 View Post
Only about 3% of Windsorites commute to Detroit for work (this is nowhere near the standard needed to be considered a "suburb").

Windsor is a fully functioning stand-alone metro area with its own suburbs. Yes, we are culturally attached to Detroit but we are not reliant on that city for jobs.
With the economy is Detroit, I certainly hope Windsor isn't reliant on Metro Detroit jobs... That said, many if not most private sector jobs in Windsor are reliant on US customers... The major private sector employers are American, namely from Metro Detroit. Many suppliers, parts makers, designers, etc. work for customers "across the river".

Put it this way, if it wasn't for Metro Detroit, Windsor's economy, at least from a private sector standpoint, would literally cease to exist.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:22 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,033,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeMan8 View Post
What's it like to live in Windsor, Ontario? I heard it's a really cheap city so that draws me to it. As for jobs, it won't matter because I have a work from home job as a freelancer so that's not an issue. I know it's a small city (around 200 000) but not that bad I guess. Does it have a big city feel to it? Is there fun things to do and is the nightlife alright?

I also heard its the hottest city in Canada which I like cause I love the heat! I can't afford to live in Toronto so Windsor seems to be on top of the list to move to. I can take occasional trips to Toronto for fun. (I would not want to visit Detroit) But is Windsor generally a nice place to live?
Have you actually moved to Windsor since you started this thread?

Many years back I lived in Detroit but would go to Windsor for good dim sum and occassional nightlife (not drunken crazy). Now I work from home and can live anywhere so I have toyed with the idea of moving back to Canada... Windsor is an option, I like being across the river from a major city.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:47 PM

311 posts, read 1,139,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Have you actually moved to Windsor since you started this thread?

Many years back I lived in Detroit but would go to Windsor for good dim sum and occassional nightlife (not drunken crazy). Now I work from home and can live anywhere so I have toyed with the idea of moving back to Canada... Windsor is an option, I like being across the river from a major city.
No I haven't moved there. It was just a thought but I haven't moved there yet.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:22 PM

10 posts, read 42,186 times
I currently live in Windsor and I'm in my mid 20's so nightlife is important to me , and I think it's a good city to live in. Cost of living is cheap here, and there are a bunch of nightclubs that you can go to. All of the nightclubs are different, some for older crowds, and others are filled with drunken 19yr olds falling everywhere. Neighbourhoods are safe and friendly especially in South Windsor. I have a few friends that visit from bigger cities and hate it here, but I know a lot of people that enjoy living here...it all depends on the person. Also, if you like the heat you're in the right place but be prepared to take in the humidity that comes with it.....yuk! The winters can also be very cold, and it's a bone chilling wet kind of cold.
Windsor is a great place to live.....Good luck with the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada