Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:07 PM

352 posts, read 1,004,559 times

Advertisements

You say prahcess and I say prohcess
You say shedule and I say skedule
Prahcess, prohcess
shedule, skedule
Let's just get a divorce!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 10:41 PM

179 posts, read 830,429 times
Mine is a mix of Californian/Canadian pronunciations, so I'm all over the place. pro-fessional, pro-pose, sahrry, about (American), skedule, pro-cess, etc. etc.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:01 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
the first line makes sense as these are 'short o' words for the most part (prawn definitly not), thus because of the caught-cot merger that Canadians/most Americans possess, words that have short o's are pronounced as 'ah', prahstitute for example (there are exceptions of course).

For me Propose is prahpose not pro-pose...even professional is prahfessional at least for me...but i'll lable someone a pro and not a prah (that would be bizarre!)

and I live in Toronto
But you're British not Canadian aren't you? How old were you when you moved to Canada?

Old 04-17-2012, 07:36 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
What I say sounds more like pruh-fessional and pruh-pose.

Another one that is interesting:

route

I always say "root" but I also hear "rout", mostly in the States but also from some Canadians.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:57 AM

364 posts, read 1,192,703 times
LOL, my dh was commenting on this and other words when we first moved to the US.
I always say PRAW-cess myself (born and raised in Ottawa), not "prah" or "proh". That is probably the sound that "prah" was meant to represent, but in the US it is often pronounced with a real short "a" sound, like pra-cess, so that is what I read the "prah" to represent.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:28 PM

87 posts, read 192,637 times
In thunder bay I say prahcessed. Prahcessed cheese. prahject not PROject

Old 04-20-2012, 10:09 PM

84 posts, read 303,067 times
I've only heard it as "prah" but I've spent most of my life in SW Ontario where the local accent is influenced by the US Midwest.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:40 PM

364 posts, read 1,192,703 times
I think you need to make the distinction between the "ah" sound and the "aw" sound. I did my own poll on a Canadian parenting website and it seems like the east-coasters may more often use the "ah" sound wheras those from southern Ontario more often seem to use the "aw" sound. Not many use the "oh" sound. It does seem to vary by word too, though. Like while I say praw-cess, I say proh-pose and pro-fessional. We all have so many different influences in our speech, though.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:25 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
But you're British not Canadian aren't you? How old were you when you moved to Canada?
I was 13...My idiolect is basically North American I say North American and not Canadian because I don't possess any of the uniquely Canadian features (features the Americans do not possess, like Canadian Raising, really rounded 'o' sounds) but I also lack any US twang so I have a bland accent that is unmistakably North American (not british at all)..but harder to pinpoint exactly where in North America...

Old 04-25-2012, 02:31 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Very interesting, I guess that's a regional difference between our respective accents, I'd be pro-pose and pro-fessional. This is an interesting thread.
it is regionalisms but I do tend to use British/American vowel sounds, so the lot vowel (ah) is chosen mostly for short 'o' sounds (laht for lot, dahler for dollar)...I know weird right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada