Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 07:36 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

For people who don't know, there are close to 1 million Canadians who are French-speaking and live in the 9 provinces other than Quebec. Their proportions are generally around 5% or less of the population of their provinces, except for New Brunswick (a relatively small province) where they are 33%.

As for English speakers in Quebec, they number roughly 700,000 and make up 8% of the province's population.

What do people think or know of their relative situations?

This will be discussion number 67,547 for me personally on this topic, but I will be interested to read the views, both informed and non-informed.

I will also be unplugged for a while on a short trip so I will let the discussion happen without me for a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 08:25 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Is it the case that the Quebec communities close to NY/VT are predominantly anglophone, while those bordering New Hampshire and Maine are mostly francophone?

Old 07-13-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is it the case that the Quebec communities close to NY/VT are predominantly anglophone, while those bordering New Hampshire and Maine are mostly francophone?
I am still around for a few hours...

All of the border areas used to be quite predominantly anglo but now they are for the most part predominantly francophone. You will find every now and then a small town with more anglos (sometimes even a slight majority) in the region but I have never really heard it mentioned that there are more anglos along the NY-VT border as opposed to NH-ME.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:47 AM

984 posts, read 2,711,957 times
Just my opinion but i think a good portion of the french speakers in Ontario are near the Quebec border.

Ottawa would have a lot as most government offices need to be able support both official languages.
I know at least 50 percent in Cornwall speak french.

If you are saying the western provinces have 5 percent french speakers that surprises me. I'd have expected lower.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:27 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
Just my opinion but i think a good portion of the french speakers in Ontario are near the Quebec border.
Also alot of Francophones in the Eastern parts of Northern Ontario who settled the area in the 19th century as loggers and mill workers, for the most part.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Ottawa would have a lot as most government offices need to be able support both official languages.
I know at least 50 percent in Cornwall speak french..
Probably closer to 25-35%. People of French Canadian origin are the majority in Cornwall but quite a few of them no longer speak much French.

Quote:
If you are saying the western provinces have 5 percent french speakers that surprises me. I'd have expected lower.
I actually said 5% or less. Manitoba in the West is around 5% though I'd say. The others are lower than that.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Also alot of Francophones in the Eastern parts of Northern Ontario who settled the area in the 19th century as loggers and mill workers, for the most part.
These guys are concentrated not too far from the Quebec as well, spreading out westwards from there but trickling out relatively quickly as you move west from Sudbury, Hearst and Timmins. By the time you get to Sault Ste Marie and Thunder Bay francophones are few and far between. (Even though the Soo was founded by francophones obviously - hence the name.)

Old 07-13-2012, 11:43 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Historically, was there an effort to forcibly assimilate Francophones by punishing them for speaking French?

Old 07-13-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Historically, was there an effort to forcibly assimilate Francophones by punishing them for speaking French?
There will likely be some disagreement among posters but the only honest answer to this is yes. Both my parents were exposed to it (one more strenuously than the other) to some degree.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:00 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
Quote:
Yup, and it was worst in Manitoba, which I consider a damn shame considering the history of that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada