Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 02:25 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,805,566 times

Advertisements

Does eastern Canada have its share of self-styled "cowboys", even in Quebec? Would you find country and western bars in La Belle Province?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 03:53 PM

654 posts, read 1,495,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Does eastern Canada have its share of self-styled "cowboys", even in Quebec? Would you find country and western bars in La Belle Province?

You bet they do.....

About Us

A.C.E.C. - Association des Cowboys de l'Est au Canada

Associations

we teach em young..

Ontario High School Rodeo Association

and if you swing that way.....they got you covered!

Central Canada Gay Rodeo Association (CCGRA)

But but but Rodeos are just a redneck Alberta thing!

http://bootsandhearts.com/

http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/e...e_1404710.html

Old 01-18-2013, 09:06 AM

44 posts, read 79,324 times
Umm...we're talking Eastern Canada right? Like the Atlantic provinces.....not Ontario/Quebec .....Canada does go much farther East than them.
So, being a born and bred East Coaster...I would say No, there is not a huge "cowboy" population out East. Lots of farmers and such but culturally no, I would say not. If you're referring to like they have in Calgary etc.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachthor View Post
Umm...we're talking Eastern Canada right? Like the Atlantic provinces.....not Ontario/Quebec .....Canada does go much farther East than them.
So, being a born and bred East Coaster...I would say No, there is not a huge "cowboy" population out East. Lots of farmers and such but culturally no, I would say not. If you're referring to like they have in Calgary etc.
About Us

Old 01-20-2013, 12:06 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,995 times
I live in Northern Ontario.

One time I showed up to a bowling alley half-jokingly wearing a cowboy shirt and everybody made fun of me and then someone stole my friend's shoes.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:55 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,309 times
Definitely not anything even remotely close to what goes on out West. However I did see somebody wearing a pirate hat in Montreal once.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:45 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,048,640 times
No the only place in Canada into that would be Ontario and Alberta. Very big into the cowboy hat and cowboy boots.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Definitely not anything even remotely close to what goes on out West. However I did see somebody wearing a pirate hat in Montreal once.

Really, so I suppose you think everyone in Calgary wears a cowboy hat? NOBODY does.

You easterners need to get your heads out of the sand and get a grasp on reality.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
Really, so I suppose you think everyone in Calgary wears a cowboy hat? NOBODY does.

You easterners need to get your heads out of the sand and get a grasp on reality.
Speaking of grasping reality, a few points need to be made:

I'd direct you to the Canadian Rodeo Hall of Fame Inductee Page and the CRHA Legends Page. Note how rare easterners are within those ranks.

You found several rodeo organizations operating in Eastern Canada. However, you failed to mention that there are four organizations of similar size operating in Alberta and Saskatchewan (Wildrose, Central, Lakeland and Chinook) as well as at least two First Nations organizations (Kakeyow and Indian). Of course there are also a myriad of high school and junior associations.

Here's another interesting link - CPRA Standings. Note that the professional Canadian ranks are dominated by Albertans, with a smattering from SK, BC, MB and the States. Either your assertion is wrong and cowboy culture isn't as prevalent in the east, or eastern cowboys are really, really bad at what they do.

You're arguing against history and the migration of people within North America. Since cowboy culture was brought to Canada by US ranchers, most of whom came from Montana, Idaho and North Dakota northward. Very few of them chose to move from Montana to Quebec.

More than anything, you're arguing against simple demographics. Since cowboy culture is closely related to cattle, I thought I'd double check the numbers of head per province, which are as follows:

Alberta - 5.4 million
Saskatchewan - 2.9 million
Quebec - 1.2 million
Ontario - 1.7 million

The long and the short of that list is that the prairies are prime grazing territory, while much of Ontario and Quebec are not. Since large cattle operations lend themselves to cowboy culture, it's little wonder that the prairies have more cowboys.

Frankly, your entire argument reads like someone who found a yacht club in Alberta and is now convinced that sailing is more prevalent on the prairies than on either coast. It's certainly true that cowboy culture exists in Eastern Canada, however, to make the claim that it's on the same level as the West is ridiculous.

As a bit of trivia on the side, the Sundance Kid (made famous by his association with Butch Cassidy) once owned a bar in Calgary. I can't recall any old west outlaws who lived in Montreal.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
Speaking of grasping reality, a few points need to be made:

I'd direct you to the Canadian Rodeo Hall of Fame Inductee Page and the CRHA Legends Page. Note how rare easterners are within those ranks.

You found several rodeo organizations operating in Eastern Canada. However, you failed to mention that there are four organizations of similar size operating in Alberta and Saskatchewan (Wildrose, Central, Lakeland and Chinook) as well as at least two First Nations organizations (Kakeyow and Indian). Of course there are also a myriad of high school and junior associations.

Here's another interesting link - CPRA Standings. Note that the professional Canadian ranks are dominated by Albertans, with a smattering from SK, BC, MB and the States. Either your assertion is wrong and cowboy culture isn't as prevalent in the east, or eastern cowboys are really, really bad at what they do.

You're arguing against history and the migration of people within North America. Since cowboy culture was brought to Canada by US ranchers, most of whom came from Montana, Idaho and North Dakota northward. Very few of them chose to move from Montana to Quebec.

More than anything, you're arguing against simple demographics. Since cowboy culture is closely related to cattle, I thought I'd double check the numbers of head per province, which are as follows:

Alberta - 5.4 million
Saskatchewan - 2.9 million
Quebec - 1.2 million
Ontario - 1.7 million

The long and the short of that list is that the prairies are prime grazing territory, while much of Ontario and Quebec are not. Since large cattle operations lend themselves to cowboy culture, it's little wonder that the prairies have more cowboys.

Frankly, your entire argument reads like someone who found a yacht club in Alberta and is now convinced that sailing is more prevalent on the prairies than on either coast. It's certainly true that cowboy culture exists in Eastern Canada, however, to make the claim that it's on the same level as the West is ridiculous.

As a bit of trivia on the side, the Sundance Kid (made famous by his association with Butch Cassidy) once owned a bar in Calgary. I can't recall any old west outlaws who lived in Montreal.
^^Yup. But I'd argue 'cowboy culture' isn't an eastern thing at all in spite of there being some rodeos or the occasional lost cowboy to be found there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada