Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 09:16 AM

17,138 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Did any of you play football in high school? I didn’t.
I didn’t. It wasn’t particularly popular either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2023, 08:20 PM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
Growing up in Halifax I knew very few kids that played Hockey. On the Peninsula Basketball was king. In surrounding areas like Dartmouthh, Sackville and Cole Harbour (Where Sydney Crosby is from) Hockey was possibly more popular but not on the Peninsula. Can't stay it is still that way but certainly was when I was growing up.

Halifax is also a boxing city. I knew kids in junior high and high school that boxed.

Old 08-06-2023, 01:12 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQpC...e=emb_imp_woyt

I suppose there are supporters as well as detractors of this initiative. Without a doubt, American 4-down football is popular in some parts of Canada - the continued promotion of the NFL and NCAA over the CFL and U-Sports might have something to do with it - but to have a public secondary school actually promote the American style is shocking to me. The headmistress in her interview even wants to see this movement expand. So, is this the beginning of the demise of 3-down football as we know it and with that possibly a part of Canadian identity? Will Canadian youth not want to play with Canadian rules in the future? Will an increasing number of Canadian high school football fields shrink to 100 yards long with 10 yard endzones and goalposts in the rear? Or would such a program as this be geographically limited and Canadian football here to stay? What do others think?
I don't think so.

In all honesty, I made it about two minutes through that video before I shut it off. The production was so bad that I couldn't hear the principal's remarks over the background music.

But as one who has played Canadian rules football, I cannot see American rules taking hold among Canadian football players: pickup, high school, university, or pro.

To be honest, we always looked down our noses at American rules. "What, you need four downs to make ten? You need a fair catch rule? You have a shorter field? Pffft, real men get a first down in three, we clobber the kick receiver even if we give him yards, and we run farther to score." That sort of thing. We were proud to play Canadian rules.

If Clarkson High wants to play American rules, it can; but I don't know who it will play against. It's just one high school in a country of hundreds of such schools with football teams, all of which play by Canadian rules.

Old 08-06-2023, 02:12 AM

1,037 posts, read 678,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Canada has a quaint idea.... that schools are for education, not to provide a stepping stone to a pro sports career, even in hockey. As a result, Canadian Universities do NOT offer sports scholarships..... but they do offer Academic scholarships, to those students who are intelligent and capable of higher learning.

Yes , Canadian Universities have sports teams, in just about any sport that you can think of, but they aren't designed for "future pros " . A FEW Canadian kids have been recruited by US colleges, such as the guy from Brampton, Ontario, who was just selected as the over all number one pick in the NBA draft, this spring.

You won't find any 80,000 seat football stadiums on Canadian University campuses, but you will find a excellent educational system, that has resulted in Canada having the most University grads, per capita, with a minimum of a 4 year degree, in the world. Just about 50 percent of our adult population has a degree, or more than one, in many cases. In the USA the number of adults with a 4 year degree, is a lot lower, below 30 percent.

In my opinion, our system is a better way to educate our youth. How many times have you cringed when listening to some US college athletes try to construct a complete sentence , during a interview ?

Jim B

Toronto.
Smug alert!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada