Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:49 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,880,570 times

Advertisements

Are there any mountains and/or ski resorts in Southern Ontario, particularly in Toronto region?
While I was there, the only thing that lacked was hilly views and mountains (even if small).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 10:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
You can Cross Country ski in the many parks around Toronto.
Cross-country skiing around Toronto
For downhill skiing you might have to drive for an hour or two.
Where to Ski near Toronto | Jamie Sarner

Closest i'd imagine at under an hour west of Toronto would be the Halton Hills area.
Conservation Halton

Last edited by jambo101; 08-20-2013 at 11:18 AM..

Old 08-20-2013, 11:11 AM

^ Thanks

So there is no mountain/hill view from anywhere in GTA? I know Montreal has a mountain in the middle of the city which is very beautiful.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
^ Thanks

So there is no mountain/hill view from anywhere in GTA? I know Montreal has a mountain in the middle of the city which is very beautiful.
If its just about an elevated view of the city (Toronto) theres the CN tower.
Intro - CN Tower

Old 08-20-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Intro - CN Tower
Nah. This is what I'm talking about similar.....

Old 08-20-2013, 01:18 PM

331 posts, read 592,263 times
Quote:
Nothing like that.
However, there are some places with decent views.

Mainly the Niagara Escarpment, it runs thru the extreme western part of GTA, Milton-Burlington area.

On a clear day you can even see Toronto skyscrapers/CN Tower from Mount Nemo in Burlington.
Also Rattlesnake Point in Milton offers some pretty decent views along with rock climbing.
If you're a skier, there is also downhill skiing at Glen Eden in Milton.
Just north of Milton in Belfountain, is the Forks of the Credit area with very steep drop at Devil's Pulpit.
A popular area on weekends, especially in fall with it's winding roads and trees in blazing color.

If you're into hiking, there is the scenic Bruce Trail is located along the Niagara Escarpment from Queenston to Tobermory (approx. 800 kms). Lot's of view points all along the trail.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:45 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Intro - CN Tower
are you kidding? He was specifically asking about mountains.
Why can't you just admit there is no mountains anywhere near Toronto. Is it that hard?

GTA or the entire southern Ontario has pretty boring and flat terrain. There is no real mountains. If there were, it would be a much more interesting place.

If you look at the map, southern Ontario pretty much resembles Nebraska or Iowa in the terrain view.
http://goo.gl/maps/s144r

Old 08-20-2013, 02:35 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:

That is not a mountain. That is just a hump. Eastern North America doesn't have mountains, it has molehills and humps. Eastern North America used to have mountains but they are so old they have gotten compacted and worn down and have sunk down.

These are real mountains below. In the first picture the low tree covered humps you see in the central part of the picture are what are called foothills and they are similar to the picture of the tree covered hump you posted. In the background are the real mountains, rock and snow caps. Nothing like these exists in eastern North America, they are only found in the western part of the continent.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:38 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,421,109 times
^^^Geez. Look at the fancy pants BC'er giving a lesson to all us flatlanders. lol

Old 08-20-2013, 02:44 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
^^^Geez. Look at the fancy pants BC'er giving a lesson to all us flatlanders. lol
My response was to J4J, who is not originated from this continent. I'm trying to let J4J know that what she thinks are mountains are not really mountains. I trust that all Canadians reading this topic already are fully aware that the mid and eastern parts of the continent have no real mountains.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada