Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:36 AM

15 posts, read 71,302 times

Advertisements

Greetings to you all. I had just found about this forum today when browsing similar sites and have a question.

I would like to have something shipped from my home in the us to me here in canada. Its going to be from new jersey. Basically it will be in a very small yellow envelope. The thing weighs under 2 ounces.

1. I know it has to be shipped at the post office because it is going outside the USA and because you have to pay right amount of postage. How much does it cost to have it shipped approximately? Its under 2 ounces and going to be shipped from New Jersey to me here in Montreal. I honestly think it would fit in a plain white envelope. Would that be allowed? Of course it will look just a little bit bulky in the white envelope but very minor.

2. How long does it take? Does it weighing very little mean it would get it here faster as oppose to shorter?

3. They will use USPS. I will receive it canadian post i assume? That is what i hear is the primary shipping carrier in canada. Will there be any taxes/fees for them or me extra?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 12:21 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,117,453 times
Quote:

I know it has to be shipped at the post office because it is going outside the USA and because you have to pay right amount of postage. ...... They will use USPS.
This forum is not a post office so it's the wrong place to ask such questions. You need to ask those questions at the post office in New Jersey where the envelope will be getting mailed from.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:29 PM

43,787 posts, read 44,564,587 times
www.usps.com

Old 10-17-2013, 12:29 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,411,237 times
Sounds like you are referring to a letter, just put a stamp on it and put it in a mail box.. should take less than a week to arrive.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:13 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,493,748 times
Sounds like lizardblizzard03 under new name. The OP's other post is in the Montreal forum.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:49 PM

Oh no its not a letter. Its a bottle of something that i have in new jersey that i want to have it sent here.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:15 PM

43,787 posts, read 44,564,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryspring1 View Post
Oh no its not a letter. Its a bottle of something that i have in new jersey that i want to have it sent here.
You can't mail liquids via the US Postal Service.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-17-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
You can't mail liquids via the US Postal Service.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2

Its a type of cream that would be brand new. Its in a box and then open the box up. But if you don't open the tube, it can't spill. There is no way its possible. Its basically like a cream like imagine a sunscreen in a tube that cant be opened unless you open it. Of course if you take a scissor and cut it, it would open.

Would that be classified as a liquid?

Old 10-17-2013, 04:46 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,117,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryspring1 View Post
Its a type of cream that would be brand new. Its in a box and then open the box up. But if you don't open the tube, it can't spill. There is no way its possible. Its basically like a cream like imagine a sunscreen in a tube that cant be opened unless you open it. Of course if you take a scissor and cut it, it would open.

Would that be classified as a liquid?
Yes. It's a liquid because if you step on it or put very heavy things on top of it, it can burst and spill it's contents. Post Offices are not noted for taking good care of fragile objects in the mail.

You can't mail it in an envelope. If you try to mail it in an envelope it will get opened at customs to be inspected for contraband and it might be confiscated. If it bursts in an envelope then either you or the sender may get fined for mailing something that causes damage to other mail.

To mail it it needs to be in a ziploc bag and packed into a box with some kind of packing material like bubble wrap or styrofoam peanuts in there to protect it from impacts during shipping. You have to take it to the post office and have it weighed, and by law you must declare the contents.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,411,237 times
Any chance this special cream could be purchased in Montreal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada