Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 04:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,398,441 times

Advertisements

What would be the benefits for Canada in this hypothetical mega merger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 07:10 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,749,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell236 View Post

I think the fundamental mentality of Canadians is different, especially from Ontario eastward: we were founded as garrisons, by soldiers, as colonies of France and England. Our heroes were the coureurs de bois, the explorers who opened the country; we have maintained a tranquil relationship with Europe for centuries and our head of state is still technically the Queen of England.
I will be better if the merge happens without the participation of Quebec and eastward - they should merge with Greece.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Oh, HELL no!
Canada would have everything to lose and virtually nothing to gain. We have natural resources up the wazoo.... gold, diamonds, lumber, minerals, most of the world's potable drinking water, and much more.
What does the US bring to the table besides massive debt, the gun culture and republicans?
oh, really? nothing to gain? what about the much larger market for all Canadian companies? What about more climate options for Canadians who don't like freazing winter (don't tell me Canadians should love cold winters!)? What about America's innovative ideas that's unparalelled elsewhere? What about America's enterpreneurial spirit which is lacking in Canada? What about America's vast resources to develope our northern area which is a dead zone with like 100k people in total?

yeah, the world's greatest power offers nothing except massive debt, gun and republicans. If America is so horrible, why the hell does Canada keeps trading with it, need its military protection and have it as our closest "ally"?

Old 10-28-2013, 09:28 AM

9,543 posts, read 16,559,797 times
[quote=ChevySpoons;31987328]It would be nice if there was some sort of American relaxation of the rules at land and sea crossings, and for flights between the US and Canada. I well remember driving through the border, telling the US Customs guard, "I'm Canadian," and being told to enjoy my visit to the US. All without paperwork, passports, or similar. Today, I think both countries are equally strict about visitors coming from overseas; so once somebody is in North America from overseas, the old rules should apply.

However, I still support a border with customs and immigration posts.

Canadian independence is important to Canadians, as are the things we hold dear: strict gun control, universal healthcare, our parliamentary system of government, and our own constitution. We have no wish to become Americans. The United States is a fine country, and Canada and the US have historically been the best of friends, but I'd suggest that the average Canadian does not want to be American.

And that is the worry when such a merger is suggested. We're a nation of 35 million people. How do we stand up to a nation of 350 million people? Not every American would want to move northward (certainly, many would be put off by the climate, and by the preponderance of hockey on TV, as opposed to US college sports); but some would. And soon, we in Canada would be having debates about guns for home defense, about buying private health insurance in order to jump the line, and whether we should get militarily involved in world hotspots that we have no interest in.

A border reminds both Americans and Canadians that "beyond this point, things are going to be different."[/quote

I agree with you and your comments. I can understand where your coming from, on this particular subject. I have been to Canada a number of times over the years. I admire the way of life, that Canadians have chosen to live as a society. I am sure it's not perfect no place is, however the country has chosen a different path than the USA

I fear where the USA is going in this world. I fear it may be to late to change the course of violence that plagues our society. The refusal to deal with violence In this country is taking its toll more every day. I fear our incompetent government, that represents to many like minded types in our population will eventually destroy us. I think many in the world are starting to face reality, that the USA has very serious problems. I wish the USA would face that reality.

No the majority of Canadians would want no part of the mess down here. Visiting the USA is one thing but I think the majority are thankful, that they can go back home to Canada and be themselves. A Canadian.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:59 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,836,248 times
A merger would also mean the end to tax incentives for make-work movies starring mediocre actors that fill up time slots on American networks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NBBqwtIorU

Old 10-28-2013, 11:09 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,154,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
oh, really? nothing to gain? what about the much larger market for all Canadian companies? What about more climate options for Canadians who don't like freazing winter (don't tell me Canadians should love cold winters!)? What about America's innovative ideas that's unparalelled elsewhere? What about America's enterpreneurial spirit which is lacking in Canada? What about America's vast resources to develope our northern area which is a dead zone with like 100k people in total?

yeah, the world's greatest power offers nothing except massive debt, gun and republicans. If America is so horrible, why the hell does Canada keeps trading with it, need its military protection and have it as our closest "ally"?
Great post!

I wanted to post a very similar response to the poster, but decided it was not worth it.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 10-28-2013 at 11:30 AM..

Old 10-28-2013, 11:20 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,348,522 times
Quote:

So, unless we merge with the US, we don't have an American market? Unless we merge we can't spend the winters in Arizona or Florida? Unless we merge, we don't have access to America's innovative ideas?
Baloney.
Military protection? Give me a break. America is protecting itself, not us.
Canada has NOTHING to gain by merging. Nothing. We stand to lose a great deal.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:21 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,441,626 times
Let's play along ...

Quote:
oh, really? nothing to gain? what about the much larger market for all Canadian companies?
Canadian companies would be finished if they market opened up. Not that I am complaining, but Canadian telecom giants like Rogers and banking giants like RBC would cease to exist almost instantly.

... maybe that's a good thing.

Quote:
What about more climate options for Canadians who don't like freazing winter (don't tell me Canadians should love cold winters!)?
Merging two countries for weather related reasons is rather lame.

As a rule, man is a fool,
When it's hot, he wants it cool;
When it's cool, he wants it hot,
Always wanting what is not.

Quote:
What about America's innovative ideas that's unparalelled elsewhere? What about America's entrepreneurial spirit which is lacking in Canada?
This has less to do with "spirit" and more to do with lack of resources. There is more VC money in America, so more start-ups. But you are right, a merger would mean that even Canadian ideas can become behemoths like Google and Tesla.

Quote:
What about America's vast resources to develope our northern area which is a dead zone with like 100k people in total?
That's happening already. They are already digging up Alberta. Not sure how America would help ..
You think they'd extend the Highway to Nunavut?

Quote:
Let's face it. A merger would hurt more Canadians than help. Sure, the tech industry, banking, etc will transform over night. There would be high flying banking jobs in Toronto. Super-tech jobs in Waterloo paying millions. Doctors will be making millions. But all this is going to help no more than 10% of the population.

- healthcare?
- social benefits?
- high minimum wage?
- subsidized education?
- high quality public services?

... gone ...

Old 10-28-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Let's play along ...

Canadian companies would be finished if they market opened up. Not that I am complaining, but Canadian telecom giants like Rogers and banking giants like RBC would cease to exist almost instantly.

agree.
but it is when facing real competition do firms realize the importance of constantly reducing costs, improving services and providing superior products.

If Rogers and RBC simply can't compete in a more open and fair market without existing government protection, then they probably don't deserve to exist. And what's for Canadians to lose, JPMorgan and At&T fill up the gap instantly.

Or in your narrow mind, we feel less proud because those are not originally Canadian companies? As a Canadian citizen, I don't care as long as the company provides good products at competitive price. Who cares if everything I buy is American.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:25 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,441,626 times
Quote:
agree.
but it is when facing real competition do firms realize the importance of constantly reducing costs, improving services and providing superior products.

If Rogers and RBC simply can't compete in a more open and fair market without existing government protection, then they probably don't deserve to exist. And what's for Canadians to lose, JPMorgan and At&T fill up the gap instantly.

Or in your narrow mind, we feel less proud because those are not originally Canadian companies? As a Canadian citizen, I don't care as long as the company provides good products at competitive price. Who cares if everything I buy is American.
But how does this benefit Canada? You are replacing dumb with dumber.

In a previous post (that you might recall), I busted the myth that American cell phone carriers were somehow much better than Canadian ones like Rogers. AT&T and the rest charge high prices and provide shoddy service (compared to world standards).

You are right about Canadian banks ... but you want to replace them with American ones? The American banks are designed to help people heavily invested in financial gimmickry like derivates, etc. Majority of the population does not have a singe cent invested in the stock market. So just like everything American, the banking system is designed to help the few.

And what makes you think that the American banks are not dependent on the government? Did you forget the $700 billion bailout in 2008? Or how about the cost of the financial gimmickry? $12.8 trillion to rescue the economy? Where do you think all that money came from?

99% of Canadians will happily pay the $10 monthly fee at RBC and accept their "sub-par" banking services as long as they dont have to pay Billions of $$ to bail out RBC. And that's a fact.

So I am waiting ...... what will Canada gain from this merger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada