Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2007, 01:21 PM

483 posts, read 2,093,821 times

Advertisements

Yep. There would be no confusion between Don and Dawn in Georgia. The sound and length would both be different. 'dah-n' and 'daw-n', the first requiring little mouth movement, the second, much more, including a pursing of the lips toward the end.

Caught: Kaw-t as in the sound a crow makes, with a t stop on the end. And like Dawn, longer.
On the other hand, when asked where you're gonna sleep when we go camping,
"I got a cot" is a good answer. The underlined words sound similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 01:42 PM

571 posts, read 2,530,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsymptoticFaery View Post
Not sure if this is Canadian or coincidence but I notice that where some Americans will give pronounce a short a sound, some Canadians will pronounce the same word with a long a sound.

For example, when most here say Super Mario Brothers, the a in Mario is short...not long in sound. But I've heard many Canadians say it, "MARE-ee-o" rather than the traditional "MAHR-ee-o"...

I've even heard DACK-Sund rather than DOCK-sund for Dachshund.

So there must be something distinctive about the way some Canadians pronounce words with a...preferring to use a long a sound where normally a short a is used.

Anyone else notice this?

Yes, I've noticed tha "a" sounds...I think that's a bigger givaway for me than "o" sounds even.

To the person who talked about the show "Ice Road Truckers"...my husband and I watched that show all summer. Awesome accents!

It's also a good illustration of Canadians' tendency to avoid confrontation. In the "candid" shots you have a guy pissed off at another guy, swearing every other word but then when the two actually meet in person, it's all very polite and cordial (for the most part, anyway.)

I really loved the scene with the cop who gave one of the truckers a ticket for speeding. One of the most polite "pullover" scenes I've ever seen on TV!
Cop: "How you doing tonight?"
Trucker: "Oh, very good officer, you?"
Cop: "Good, good. Goin' a little fast tonight, eh?"
Trucker: "Yeah, well, I guess...you know how it goes."
Cop: "Well, I'm very sorry, but I'm going to have to give you a ticket?"
Trucker: "Oh, OK."
Cop: (gives the guy his ticket)"You have a good night now."
Trucker: "Yeah, you too, eh?"

(Obviously paraphrased, but it really wasn't too far off from that!)

Old 10-21-2007, 02:51 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,768 times
Oh brother, I hear various people I know who were all raised right here in the same city at the same time pronounce certain words differently from each other (in both the so-called Canadian and American way), so blanket statements such as "Americans say it this way" and "Canadians say it that way" don't seem to hold much water in most cases.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:18 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Oh brother, I hear various people I know who were all raised right here in the same city at the same time pronounce certain words differently from each other (in both the so-called Canadian and American way), so blanket statements such as "Americans say it this way" and "Canadians say it that way" don't seem to hold much water in most cases.
Some truth in that, but for the most part, Americans don't use Canadian pronounciations because they don't typically have access to Canadian TV, while here 80-90% of our channels are American.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:02 AM

59 posts, read 144,339 times
Being Canadian I notice the American accent. But, to me, by the time you realize it the conversation is over. It is not a big deal. To me anyway.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:12 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
Yep. There would be no confusion between Don and Dawn in Georgia. The sound and length would both be different. 'dah-n' and 'daw-n', the first requiring little mouth movement, the second, much more, including a pursing of the lips toward the end.

Caught: Kaw-t as in the sound a crow makes, with a t stop on the end. And like Dawn, longer.
On the other hand, when asked where you're gonna sleep when we go camping,
"I got a cot" is a good answer. The underlined words sound similar.
So far your examples of when you say the longer "short o" sound is when you have a different spelling, ie. caught, dawn.

What about dog? How did that become longer?
Are there many other words with longer "o" sounds that are spelled simply with an "o" instead of an "aw" or an "au"?
Are there more southern words with the longer "o" or shorter "o"?

*Sorry if I sound annoying, it's just something that fascinated me on vacation.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:02 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
It isn't just southerners who differentiate between 'au' and 'o'. To me, born and raised in Chicago, 'caught' and 'cot', 'Dawn' and 'Don' are pronounced differently ... but I notice that a lot of my friends from out west (e.g. west of the Mississippi) do not differentiate between those two words.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:44 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Originally a yank, I lived in BC for 5 years in the middle 70's. I picked up many Canadianisms during that time, most of which I still maintain to this day, even though I've been back in the states for 30 years. It's a mark of honor and pride for me.

blessings....Franco

Old 10-27-2007, 06:03 AM

41 posts, read 231,379 times
the only thing I notice is the 'eh?' at the end of every sentence =P I think it sounds quite good though hehe

Old 09-16-2008, 12:52 PM

26 posts, read 140,498 times
Default Vancouverite's accent

Do they speak with a similar accent than in the US? I mean an american accent? (I know that there are lots of american accents which are different even from state to state, but you understand what I mean right?)

Well it's just that I'm from Spain and I would like to go to the US or Canada to improve my English. The fact is that I love American accent, that's why I ask you.

Hope your replies.

Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada