Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,598 times

Advertisements

i am planning to migrate to Canada for the sake of my children's education. i am from malaysia. i am still not sure which place is better to live in (Vancouver or Toronto) in term of education (for special needs as well) and the cost of living- houses, transportation, weather and food? please do advise...thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 09:03 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evelynyap View Post
i am planning to migrate to Canada for the sake of my children's education. i am from malaysia. i am still not sure which place is better to live in (Vancouver or Toronto) in term of education (for special needs as well) and the cost of living- houses, transportation, weather and food? please do advise...thank you!
Have you approached the Canadian Embassy in KL?
If you haven't, this site is quite fun to explore, and to find out if you and your family are qualified to apply and under which category.
Come to Canada

There is a significant presence of newcomers (previously from Malaysia) in Toronto and Vancouver. So, both would be ideal for you and your family.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:26 AM

17 posts, read 42,392 times
It´s a really hard question what is better city Vancouver or Toronto? Basically, Canada is a GREAT choice! Personally, I´m living in Toronto. One of the big advantages of Vancouver is the most wonderful nature in all British Columbia. On the other hand, GTA is more dynamical market with dozens opportunities for a new living. According to a recently issued report, the real estate market in Toronto continued its healthy growth throughout November. It depends on your personality and your priorities. Both Canadian cities offer the own charisma.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 7,377 times
I want to spend the summer in Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal but I can't decide which one is the best for me. I'am a designer from Belgium and I like architecture, art, photography,... I also want to promote my own products. So the art scene is important.
Some cool clubs (house, jazz, funk, techno,...) would be nice.
Vancouver looks really nice because you've got the ocean and great parks.
Can somebody help me?

Thanks

Old 01-04-2012, 11:54 PM

311 posts, read 1,138,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar wallnote View Post
I want to spend the summer in Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal but I can't decide which one is the best for me. I'am a designer from Belgium and I like architecture, art, photography,... I also want to promote my own products. So the art scene is important.
Can somebody help me?

Thanks
Montreal would most definitely be the place for you. Especially since you want an artsy city, architecture and nightlife. All of those things basically scream Montreal lol. You will find lot's of great club's and Bar's in Montreal. Montreal has the most of them. Montreal has the best nightlife out of all 3 cities (Very vibrant downtown with lot's of clubs, etc. The biggest nightlife scene in Canada) There is lot's of history and sights (very European style city with great sights to see) Lot's of great old buildings to see and take pictures of. Lot's of old art around the city. I find it the most exciting city to spend during the summer and the most interesting city. However Vancouver and Toronto are very nice too and there's lot's of things to do there. But Montreal is definitely the best fit for you.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:56 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times
I agree that Montreal is a good choice. It should be noted, however, that their are less rich people in Montreal than in Toronto and especially compared to Vancouver. That means the cost of living is more reasonable (the other two cities are VERY expensive to live in) but there's less super wealthy patrons looking for custom designs. Still, my gut points you at Montreal, although Vancouver has an interesting modernist urban esthetic and a decent arts scene. At times, however, it can feel a bit sterile.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:10 AM

1 posts, read 7,162 times
im moving to toronto in november on my own and im terrified.im a 19 yr old girl from ireland.where is he safest place to live in toronto..and cheapest?

Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 PM

6 posts, read 15,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar wallnote View Post
Can somebody help me?

Thanks
I suggest Montreal or Toronto

Old 01-28-2012, 10:18 AM

63 posts, read 120,876 times
Probably, Toronto is more better option. One of most important disadvantages for Toronto is his location far from the sea. On the other hand, Toronto presents dozen opportunities (mainly economical and real estate) for a new life. The total amount of sales in 2011 reached as high as 89,347, posing a 4 per cent rise in year-to-year comparison to 2010. Experts believe that the new Greater Toronto record in sales wasn’t reached only due to a shortage of listings throughout 2011, since buyers showed great confidence in handling the costs of purchasing the realty and paying-off their mortgages.
Vancouver has a wonderful nature, but Toronto has a "wonderful" challenge for you.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 PM

5 posts, read 24,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydancer9 View Post
im moving to toronto in november on my own and im terrified.im a 19 yr old girl from ireland.where is he safest place to live in toronto..and cheapest?
Hey, I've lived here all my life. Don't be terrified!
Toronto in general is pretty safe. You can walk around at night and nothing will happen to you. You would probably want to avoid going too north. Stay in the downtown core when looking for an apartment . There is pretty good subway/transit system which you won't need a car. You should buy a metro pass for the month ($126), which is unlimited transit. Some areas you might like, is nearby Universities/Colleges such as Spadina/Bloor (my favourite, near U of T, filled with international students, if it makes you feel more at home) to Yonge/Bloor. Queen St and Dundas St from Spadina to Yonge is a popular area. King/Yonge is a nice area right beside St.Lawrence market, Front street/Welligton (Yonge going Westward is nice, near waterfront) is as well very popular.

Last edited by leafsfan7; 01-28-2012 at 10:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada