Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:53 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Your link explains why the 43% is misleading.

I live in America. Trust me. Our welfare system is very stingy, and our workers' rights are appalling. Maybe it's not quite as bad if you have children, but still far from adequate. In Canada anyone without assets can receive the dole. It's not a lot, but it's still enough to ensure you don't starve. Their regular dole is about as generous as SSI for people with disabilities, and their disability benefits are far more generous than ours even factoring in a higher cost of living.

In the US the only assistance basically anyone can partake in is Food Stamps/EBT and that's at best $200 a month and in most cases you can't even buy hot food with it. And good luck claiming it without an address.

In America if you don't work that generally means you beg, and it seems like Harper's government wants it to be that way in Canada too. In 1989 homelessness in Canada was practically non-existent while today it's by some measures worse than in the States, thanks to Mulroney and your man's policies.

In Australia and Canada you literally can dine on lobster on a semi-regular basis on the dole. In America, it's roommates and ramen, unless you're selling drugs or doing day labor/part time work on the side.
Hmmm someone's been doing bit of 420
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 12:09 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Hmmm someone's been doing bit of 420
I have an Australian friend and a Canadian friend who live on a dole (for a good reason BTW, I'm not judging them) and they're always out eating fancy meals. The Canadian friend does work on the side, but he could still afford it once in a while even if he didn't.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:48 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
I have an Australian friend and a Canadian friend who live on a dole (for a good reason BTW, I'm not judging them) and they're always out eating fancy meals. The Canadian friend does work on the side, but he could still afford it once in a while even if he didn't.
Don't be so gullible and naive about what people tell you. If you have friends that tell you they're living on financial assistance but they're always out eating fancy meals then why haven't you clued into the fact that they're obviously making money by criminal means? Maybe growing or making and selling drugs, or maybe something much, much worse but I can assure you they are NOT making an easy living from receiving financial assistance. Receiving financial assistance for some made of disability or disadvantage is the most common trumped up lie that all criminals use to explain their source of income to gullible, overly trusting people.

Wake up! You SHOULD be judging them. You have Aspergers Syndrome and that makes you naive and a poor judge of character and vulnerable to people of bad character. Criminals like to take advantage of gullible people and use them for their own purposes and their own gain. You need to be more cautious about the kinds of people that you associate with and careful about what you say about them even online because there's no honour amongst criminals, not even amongst themselves. Criminal associates will easily be the death of you at the drop of a pin and without any degree of conscience once you've jeopardized them and outlived your usefulness to them.

Last edited by Zoisite; 03-05-2015 at 12:56 AM..

Old 03-05-2015, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Don't be so gullible and naive about what people tell you. If you have friends that tell you they're living on financial assistance but they're always out eating fancy meals then why haven't you clued into the fact that they're obviously making money by criminal means? Maybe growing or making and selling drugs, or maybe something much, much worse but I can assure you they are NOT making an easy living from receiving financial assistance. Receiving financial assistance for some made of disability or disadvantage is the most common trumped up lie that all criminals use to explain their source of income to gullible, overly trusting people.

Wake up! You SHOULD be judging them. You have Aspergers Syndrome and that makes you naive and a poor judge of character and vulnerable to people of bad character. Criminals like to take advantage of gullible people and use them for their own purposes and their own gain. You need to be more cautious about the kinds of people that you associate with and careful about what you say about them even online because there's no honour amongst criminals, not even amongst themselves. Criminal associates will easily be the death of you at the drop of a pin and without any degree of conscience once you've jeopardized them and outlived your usefulness to them.

My friends actually have Asperger syndrome too (at least formally, not sure they're diagnosed correctly).

Old 03-05-2015, 02:52 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
My friends actually have Asperger syndrome too (at least formally, not sure they're diagnosed correctly).
Then they're not on the dole. They're on PWD assistance and that's not the same thing as being on the dole which is only a temporary thing anyway (duration is 5 years maximum for a single parent with children under elementary school age, for everyone else duration and amount of money is less).

I can't speak for the Australian friend's situation but a disabled Canadian on PWD can get up to a maximum of $906 per month financial assistance depending on the severity and duration of their disability and is allowed to be employed part time and earn an additional $800 a month through employment. So they can get up to a grand total of $1,706 a month without deductions (other than income tax and CPP deductions from employment earnings) and that has to cover all living expenses and necessities as well as any additional health needs (not counting paid prescriptions). Anything over $800 in earned wages will be deducted out of the PWD contribution. If their earnings through employment exceeds $1,706 they will be disqualified from PWD assistance.

PWD assistance covers nothing like food stamps, there's no food bank or food voucher entitlements, there's coverage for generic prescriptions only (no name brand prescriptions), no coverage for over the counter meds, no extended health benefits or extended dental or optical care, no coverage for transportation costs, no coverage for wheel chairs, walkers, other sundry health aid items that may be needed by disabled people and there are limitations on the value of personal assets allowed. And on and on.

So if your friends are affording going out and eating lobster at expensive, fancy restaurants on a regular basis they are most likely defrauding the system by earning extra money illegally under the table and probably should not be qualifying for PWD assistance at all if they're capable of supporting themselves earning undeclared money illegally.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

So if your friends are affording going out and eating lobster at expensive, fancy restaurants on a regular basis they are most likely defrauding the system by earning extra money illegally under the table and probably should not be qualifying for PWD assistance at all if they're capable of supporting themselves earning undeclared money illegally.

They are allowed to work even though they collect disability.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:55 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Your link explains why the 43% is misleading.

I live in America. Trust me. Our welfare system is very stingy, and our workers' rights are appalling. Maybe it's not quite as bad if you have children, but still far from adequate. In Canada anyone without assets can receive the dole. It's not a lot, but it's still enough to ensure you don't starve. Their regular dole is about as generous as SSI for people with disabilities, and their disability benefits are far more generous than ours even factoring in a higher cost of living.

In the US the only assistance basically anyone can partake in is Food Stamps/EBT and that's at best $200 a month and in most cases you can't even buy hot food with it. And good luck claiming it without an address.

In America if you don't work that generally means you beg, and it seems like Harper's government wants it to be that way in Canada too. In 1989 homelessness in Canada was practically non-existent while today it's by some measures worse than in the States, thanks to Mulroney and your man's policies.

In Australia and Canada you literally can dine on lobster on a semi-regular basis on the dole. In America, it's roommates and ramen, unless you're selling drugs or doing day labor/part time work on the side.
While I still disagree with you on the basis of my experience living in the U.S. for six months every year of the last 20 or so and seeing first hand the results of unfettered welfare for a LARGE segment of it's population, I do not disagree with your suggesting that a conservative government within Canada seems to be committed to reducing parallel benefits.

Your comment about dining on lobster is just to ridiculous to respond to and one which did nothing to enhance your credibility. Please keep in mind the cost of said lobster anywhere within Canada.

"My man" Harper would take issue with you on designating him as my personal possession.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
While I still disagree with you on the basis of my experience living in the U.S. for six months every year of the last 20 or so and seeing first hand the results of unfettered welfare for a LARGE segment of it's population, I do not disagree with your suggesting that a conservative government within Canada seems to be committed to reducing parallel benefits.
I'm sorry, that "Your man" statement was a bit rude of me. I apologize. But I'm curious, what part of the US do you live in? I get disability benefits myself and I work part time and I'm extremely poor, I want to know where all these Americans on the dole are living in luxury lol just kidding.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:49 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,249 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, that "Your man" statement was a bit rude of me. I apologize. But I'm curious, what part of the US do you live in? I get disability benefits myself and I work part time and I'm extremely poor, I want to know where all these Americans on the dole are living in luxury lol just kidding.
One of my siblings has a mental disability, and recieves about $1,000 a month from the state of Maryland. Believe me, that goes twice as far down on the beach than in the cheapest place in Canada. To put in perspective her apartment is decent and costs about $700 each month, and gas is about $2.10 a gallon. Yes, she eats lobster and sushi on occasion.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
One of my siblings has a mental disability, and recieves about $1,000 a month from the state of Maryland. Believe me, that goes twice as far down on the beach than in the cheapest place in Canada. To put in perspective her apartment is decent and costs about $700 each month, and gas is about $2.10 a gallon. Yes, she eats lobster and sushi on occasion.
Really, $1000? I suppose if she was getting the full benefits for SSI, and food stamps, that would make sense.

Still, my point is you have to be disabled to get these benefits, and they will hassle you for the rest of your life to "prove" you still need them. A lot of mentally disabled people, of course, are procrastinators or just not good at doing paperwork so I imagine many of them unintentionally forfeit their benefits.

Even though these measures are designed to prevent fraud, in reality they're probably just making people who genuinely need them hungry and homeless. I'm pretty sure I'd be homeless if I lost my $570 a month, because I don't make nearly enough working to survive and I don't think I could psychologically deal with a second job. People might think Aspergers isn't a "real disability" but try living with it, it makes everything harder and more stressful to an insane degree. At my job I'm constantly on the verge of freaking out because I know one mistake can make my day much harder or make me lose kudos with my boss.

In Australia and Canada this doesn't happen, disability benefits are for life. At least until recently; their conservative governments seem hell bent on making the disabled and poor eat cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada