Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 04:25 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,945,168 times

Advertisements

Heeeeeeeere we go again lol...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 05:13 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,630,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Heeeeeeeere we go again lol...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
You're right. It's a tired topic.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:57 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,444,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Simple fact. Legally Quebec can not separate from Canada without Canada consenting. From Google

"Supreme Court says Quebec can't separate unilaterally. The Supreme Court of Canada has ruled that Quebec cannot separate from Canada unilaterally.
Looks good on paper Nat but if Quebec wanted to Separate there aint much Canada is going to do about it but huff and puff with much sabre rattling and endless jobs for lawyers in meaningless challenges to Quebecs new found direction, in the meantime Quebec will be about the business of creating its new country..

Old 06-21-2015, 06:19 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,945,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Looks good on paper Nat but if Quebec wanted to Separate there aint much Canada is going to do about it but huff and puff with much sabre rattling and endless jobs for lawyers in meaningless challenges to Quebecs new found direction, in the meantime Quebec will be about the business of creating its new country..
Jambo - I think you're gonna have to accept the reality that in your lifetime and probably in mine as well - Quebec will remain as it is in Canada.. If I were you my friend, I wouldn't hold my breath for the young people of Quebec to push for their own country en masse.. I think the Separatist movement is becoming a weakening force not stronger - the evidence seems to point to that not the other way around regardless how much Vive and Bonjour may protest.. You get them saying, oh well Canadians don't realize how strong it still is and how it can make a resurgence etc etc yet it seems to be mostly talk - been there done that zzzz... PKP has a monumental task in front of him.. There's only so much money can buy but hey - he might start to gain traction with things I just wouldn't hold my breath and you'll have to excuse the R.O.C for collectively yawning... If it becomes a serious threat to Canada - we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.. In the meantime, there's more important things to worry about like what to cook on the BBQ.

You say 'new' found direction eh.... What exactly is Quebec's direction Jambo - the lack of such a direction is the biggest threat to Quebec sovereignty not the R.O.C huffing and puffing..... Do Quebecers need one man with money to remind them of a direction they should take? Maybe it is because the 'new' direction (whatever the heck that is) isn't as strong as some would like to contend and the direction the majority of Quebecers want to take is more in alignment with the R.O.C than not..

I wonder if PKP travels with a Canadian passport or does he get away with travelling with an 'imaginary' one?

Last edited by fusion2; 06-21-2015 at 06:40 PM..

Old 06-21-2015, 08:11 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,167,819 times
To answer the OP, it's not the first time a Quebec separatist leader has said Canada is not a real country. Lucien Bouchard said it as well.

It's a bit of a classic meme for them it seems, and they do it for several reasons. One is to provoke Anglo-Canada in the hopes they'll go off the rails and react with anti-Quebec rhetoric.

Another is to delegitimize Canada and make it seem like an artificial union. It then becomes easier to justify breaking up something that isn't natural.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:47 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,444,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Jambo - I think you're gonna have to accept the reality that in your lifetime and probably in mine as well - Quebec will remain as it is in Canada.. If I were you my friend, I wouldn't hold my breath for the young people of Quebec to push for their own country en masse.. I think the Separatist movement is becoming a weakening force not stronger - the evidence seems to point to that not the other way around regardless how much Vive and Bonjour may protest.. You get them saying, oh well Canadians don't realize how strong it still is and how it can make a resurgence etc etc yet it seems to be mostly talk - been there done that zzzz... PKP has a monumental task in front of him.. There's only so much money can buy but hey - he might start to gain traction with things I just wouldn't hold my breath and you'll have to excuse the R.O.C for collectively yawning... If it becomes a serious threat to Canada - we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.. In the meantime, there's more important things to worry about like what to cook on the BBQ.

You say 'new' found direction eh.... What exactly is Quebec's direction Jambo - the lack of such a direction is the biggest threat to Quebec sovereignty not the R.O.C huffing and puffing..... Do Quebecers need one man with money to remind them of a direction they should take? Maybe it is because the 'new' direction (whatever the heck that is) isn't as strong as some would like to contend and the direction the majority of Quebecers want to take is more in alignment with the R.O.C than not..

I wonder if PKP travels with a Canadian passport or does he get away with travelling with an 'imaginary' one?
I think you took my post the wrong way and read into it more than was intended.,I didnt mean to infer Quebec was ever going to separate, i was just putting forth a somewhat hypothetical scenario in response to Natnascis post 10 to point out what Canadas options would be if Quebec ever did separate, there is no new Quebec direction at this point,however if Quebec did separate it would then definitely be a new direction.

Last edited by jambo101; 06-21-2015 at 09:58 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 01:10 AM

3,634 posts, read 3,438,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Another is to delegitimize Canada and make it seem like an artificial union. It then becomes easier to justify breaking up something that isn't natural.
Acajack, how does Quebec regard other federated countries? I'm thinking the US and Australia in particular. Are they, to Quebecers, "artificial unions," or are they proper countries?

Old 06-22-2015, 03:02 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,056,561 times
Dear Mr. Peladeau,

It's 2015. Come have a beer with us or kindly go **** yourself.

-Canada.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:07 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,763,181 times
another Quebec independence thread, really? Why not discuss this in one of the 100 similar posts that are already there instead of creating a brand new one? It is not like something new and major suddenly happened.

Mods should really do something to avoid the same topic being discussed in 180 different threads, with essentially the same people and same arguments. It is really tiring.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:07 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,167,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Acajack, how does Quebec regard other federated countries? I'm thinking the US and Australia in particular. Are they, to Quebecers, "artificial unions," or are they proper countries?
OK, well for starters not everyone in Quebec sees Canada as "artificial", but speaking for those who are at least partly of that view (which includes me, but then again I kind of see all countries as artificial)...

Anyway...

Countries like the U.S. and Australia are seen as monocultural, or at least as having a single "culture of convergence" in spite of their size and diversity. In a sense I suppose they are seen as being more *logical* national entities than a country such as Canada.

As for Canada, it is seen as different from the monoculturals, and instead most people think it is a multinational state similar to Switzerland, Belgium, India, etc.

Canada is criticized or scorned or rejected by many because it (allegedly) refuses to accept this reality. And (allegedly again) has centralist-unitarian tendencies that stem from the fact that deep down inside it wants to be more of a "single identity" nation as opposed to a multi-polar one.

Switzerland is often held up in Quebec as an example of a multi-national country that gets it right.

Canada on the other hand is sometimes suspected of wanting to lump Quebec and francophones into a category of an immigrant/ethnic group like all the others in what is a wholly English-speaking country.

Cue comments like: "There are more people in my neighbourhood who speak Tagalog than French. Why the hell do we have French on our cereal boxes again?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada