Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 07:23 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,774,194 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Just wondering. Now that the Canadian penny has been discontinued for a couple of years already and the government has been requesting for citizens to turn in their pennies to be melted, how hard is it for visitors to obtain these coins nowadays? I briefly visited Canada a few months back and was lucky to happen upon a kind bank teller at Scotiabank who gave me a roll of pennies for face value only. I'm worried I will not have that same luck again the next time I visit Canada. So generally speaking, is the penny disappearing quickly and will there be a day in the near future that one cannot obtain them at face value anymore?

Thoughts? Experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 10:04 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,433,425 times
I have a whole bunch in my couch if you want some. lol

I don't see the penny going away anytime soon. No worries, man.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:54 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,413,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Now that the Canadian penny has been discontinued for a couple of years already and the government has been requesting for citizens to turn in their pennies to be melted....
I was unaware that the Canadian government had been requesting Canadians to turn in their pennies. Do you have a cite for this?

Canadian money has never been demonetized, and neither is the Canadian penny. It will remain legal tender--although, nowadays, the penny is a little unusual in everyday cash transactions.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:47 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,797 times
To the OP.........

In daily practice here in Canada, the penny is all but gone. In cash transactions ( which few Canadians do any more, due to debit cards ) the price of any item is either rounded up to the nearest five cent point, or rounded down to the nearest five cent point. Example...a item that sells for $ 4.29 would be rounded to $4.30. A item that is priced at $5 .32, would be rounded down to $5.30. No need for one cent coins.

Debit or credit card sales are to the exact price, with no rounding up or down.

Jim B.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:54 AM

32 posts, read 36,379 times
I thought banks were collecting them and not issuing anymore at all. Sounds like you just got a nice teller at Scotia.

Edited to add: http://www.cba.ca/en/consumer-inform...enny-in-canada

Can I withdraw pennies from my bank?
It is unlikely, but you should check with your bank. Financial institutions have not been receiving pennies from the Royal Canadian Mint since February 4, 2013, so they may no longer have pennies to distribute to customers.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I was unaware that the Canadian government had been requesting Canadians to turn in their pennies. Do you have a cite for this?

Canadian money has never been demonetized, and neither is the Canadian penny. It will remain legal tender--although, nowadays, the penny is a little unusual in everyday cash transactions.
Check this website out.

In Canada, find a penny, recycle it

The scariest bit is the part about the Canadian Mint selling rolls of pennies for $9.95 each ! I sure wouldn't want to pay that much for a roll of pennies albeit discontinued pennies. Mind you, these are probably shiny untouched pennies unlike the roll the bank teller gave me but still.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:57 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,181 times
I would think that the penny, even though it doesn't exist in hard cash anymore, still has to be accepted if you have them. If you pay something on debit or credit, I believe the price isn't rounded up or down to the nearest amount divisible by 5 (the new most worthless coin) to accommodate its absence, so probably they will continue to be 'bought' for face value. Either way, don't worry, people still hate the penny and will for a long time to come. It's not going to be worth a lot on historic principles anytime soon.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
To the OP.........

In daily practice here in Canada, the penny is all but gone. In cash transactions ( which few Canadians do any more, due to debit cards ) the price of any item is either rounded up to the nearest five cent point, or rounded down to the nearest five cent point. Example...a item that sells for $ 4.29 would be rounded to $4.30. A item that is priced at $5 .32, would be rounded down to $5.30. No need for one cent coins.

Debit or credit card sales are to the exact price, with no rounding up or down.

Jim B.
I am aware of that, having first read about it somewhere in the newspaper a couple of years ago and then actually experiencing it on my recent trip. Sure enough, cash transactions everywhere are rounded up or down and when asking for change at Tim Horton's or any local establishment, nickels, dimes, and quarters are given back but no pennies. Well, I am actually very happy for Canada to go this route as it actually makes quite a lot of sense. I just hope it doesn't quickly get to the point that coin collectors have to pay a fortune on Ebay or somewhere just to grab hold of a few of those ones ubiquitous coins and when I mean quickly I mean within the next five years.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:50 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I am aware of that, having first read about it somewhere in the newspaper a couple of years ago and then actually experiencing it on my recent trip. Sure enough, cash transactions everywhere are rounded up or down and when asking for change at Tim Horton's or any local establishment, nickels, dimes, and quarters are given back but no pennies. Well, I am actually very happy for Canada to go this route as it actually makes quite a lot of sense. I just hope it doesn't quickly get to the point that coin collectors have to pay a fortune on Ebay or somewhere just to grab hold of a few of those ones ubiquitous coins and when I mean quickly I mean within the next five years.
Well, if they reach the fortune stage, let me know. I have a box of rolled up pennies in the basement that I never got around to taking to the bank.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:12 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,163,236 times
What about the expressions "just my two cents", or "penny for your thoughts"... suppose those will have to change, or probably go completely out of usage as well?

Speaking of currency, an old "toony" from my dad's collection that I inherited:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada