Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,414 times

Advertisements

Toronto isn't really a crowded city except the areas around Yonge and Dundas, but do you think the city is gonna be nearly as packed as NYC in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 07:11 PM

1,980 posts, read 1,949,118 times
Condos are going up in some places

Old 09-26-2016, 08:37 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,536,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justacityboy View Post
Toronto isn't really a crowded city except the areas around Yonge and Dundas, but do you think the city is gonna be nearly as packed as NYC in the future?
I hope so. The alternative is the market not meeting the demand for housing and everyone but the rich getting priced out, like Vancouver. I worry, however, that the city, like so many other cities, will try to protect the single family home neighbourhoods and when all the low hanging fruit like parking lots are gone, the housing prices will skyrocket, with all of the associated harm to the local economy and quality of life for the middle class.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:49 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,741,127 times
Only someone who have never seen a real city would think Toronto is "crowded". It is a laughable idea. Just look at all the low rise houses which take 95% of the city.

Even downtown need to double its population to be called dense, let alone crowded.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:21 AM

17,279 posts, read 15,476,500 times
I doubt it. The street-level density just isn't there. There are a lot of tall buildings, but that's about it. I find even Montreal to feel more dense and "crowded." Of course, this may have to do with their height restrictions, which means more people and buildings crammed in small spaces. But despite Toronto's growth, I don't see it ever becoming like NYC.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:44 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,086,303 times
Why should Toronto be like NYC anyway? Why can't Toronto just be Toronto?

Old 09-27-2016, 10:18 AM

17,279 posts, read 15,476,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
+1

For some reason, I see lots of people in or from Toronto that have this aspiration to become Canada's NYC. Even city developers seem to have some odd fixation with it. *cough cough Dundas Square*

Old 09-27-2016, 12:37 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,244,770 times
The only parts that seem crowded now are the Yonge street strip/YD Square, Queen West/Kensington/Chinatown (on certain days with nice weather), and the Front street/Union Station area at rush hour.

The Downtown Toronto area currently has a residential population density of about 50,000 ppsm (excluding the Toronto islands/airport), but the daytime population density would be much higher with the addition of the workforce and daily visitors.

Downtown Toronto gets more built-up and densely populated every year by a significant amount, so over the next ten years overcrowding may indeed become an issue in certain areas.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:45 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,536,606 times
I guess I should clarify my earlier statement. I'm not hoping for overcrowding in Toronto, but rather for density. Density increases, if its allowed, when the market demands it. When market demand isn't allowed to be met, prices get higher, and THAT is when overcrowding becomes a problem, because there's fewer square feet of living space being built, but the demand is still there, so people get forced into a smaller and smaller spaces because that's all they can afford. Overcrowding is produced by economics, and density is often the cure.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:47 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,105,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meester-chung View Post
condos are going up everywhere
ftfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Don't fear. Toronto will NEVER be like NYC. That comparison is an absolute joke. Seriously.... Comparing Toronto to NYC would be like comparing a Chevette to a Corvette. Ya dig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
For some reason, I see lots of people in or from Toronto that have this aspiration to become Canada's NYC.
They certainly seem obsessed with trying to rip off historical New York chic to a great degree. I mean seriously... Do you really think the wannabe McSorley's Old Ale House in North York is in any way comparable with the historic McSorley's Old Ale House (the oldest bar in Manhattan) that served the likes of Abraham Lincoln and John Lennon? Or that a corned beef sandwich from Katz's of North York will anyway compare to the experience you'd receive at the world-famous Katz's of Manhattan's LES? Or that the dozen or so establishments of Toronto's so-called "Restaurant Row" in any way compares to the 50 or so restaurants on the original Restaurant Row of Manhattan? I could go on, but let's just say the lame Toronto version of vaunted NYC establishments is like a cheap Chinese knockoff of the real thing. Why can't Toronto stop desperately trying to be NYC and start establishing it's own identity?

Last edited by Annuvin; 09-27-2016 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada