Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 08:11 AM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times

Advertisements

Yes Thanksgiving was great No leftovers for me this time around I was invited to someone's home. That would be great if you would share your recipe in the food recipe section
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 08:22 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Thanksgiving is THE holiday in the US. Christmas is more of an afterthought. The big meals etc. that we used to do as Christmas dinner, for the most part aren't done here. Turkey is thanksgiving and a month later Christmas is usually a ham, or here in Texas, a smoked brisket. Thanksgiving is for family, Christmas is for stuff.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:24 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
I hope you had a good turkey day Alm

Old 10-14-2016, 01:30 PM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times
Yes Dude 3 days in a row marching from home to home and feast away

Old 10-16-2016, 03:31 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I find that Americans who are aware that Canadian Thanksgiving is in October tend to overestimate its importance in Canada a bit. And that's why we get all of these good wishes from Americans for this day.

Yes, it is "marked" by most people with a family dinner, but for having spent Thanksgiving in the U.S. it's nowhere near as big a deal.

Others will correct me if I am wrong but it's about the same as Mother's Day and Father's Day in Canada. Behind Christmas and behind Easter even.

Which is a far cry from what it is in the U.S., where it almost seems like it rivals Christmas.

Again, this is just my observation.
I have been wondering about this as well how important Thanksgiving is in Canada. From the Canadians I know and the Canadian media I follow, it doesn't seem to be as important up there as Thanksgiving is in the States. It doesn't seem like Canada has the special/traditional sporting events or parades to mark the day like the US does (to my knowledge at least).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Thanksgiving is THE holiday in the US. Christmas is more of an afterthought. The big meals etc. that we used to do as Christmas dinner, for the most part aren't done here. Turkey is thanksgiving and a month later Christmas is usually a ham, or here in Texas, a smoked brisket. Thanksgiving is for family, Christmas is for stuff.
Maybe it's different since you're in Texas, but big meals are still part of the norm for Christmas (especially Christmas Eve) in my part of the country. I have seen a few people on City Data claim the Northern US makes a bigger deal about Christmas than the South though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada