Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 09:55 AM

242 posts, read 301,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I used the term Kodak Coderre to describe our mayors penchant for being at all media events to make sure he gets his face photographed. I've Never heard the term Kid Kodak.

That is so true. Coderre never misses an opportunity for a photo op or to get in front of a television camera. Perhaps he should concern himself a little less with media attention and a little more with running the city properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 01:50 PM

97 posts, read 90,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 514gal View Post
That is so true. Coderre never misses an opportunity for a photo op or to get in front of a television camera. Perhaps he should concern himself a little less with media attention and a little more with running the city properly.
I agree, although crooked Applebaum himself took to overly bombing his borough's quarterly bulletin .. I bet more and more civic reps and politicians take to fuji fudging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
You need to read the news!
Why must you put more faith in crooked mainstream news outlets publishing incentivised statisticians' deceptive output over feedback from contributors to these message boards here (Détroit), pray tell?

Last edited by trainrover; 10-12-2016 at 02:06 PM..

Old 10-12-2016, 03:50 PM

7,490 posts, read 4,970,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
I agree, although crooked Applebaum himself took to overly bombing his borough's quarterly bulletin .. I bet more and more civic reps and politicians take to fuji fudging.

Why must you put more faith in crooked mainstream news outlets publishing incentivised statisticians' deceptive output over feedback from contributors to these message boards here (Détroit), pray tell?
Perhaps we need some clarification ... please see appropriate discussion thread.
Cheers

Old 10-12-2016, 07:40 PM

3,975 posts, read 5,790,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Been to just about every decent sized U.S. city, but haven't been to Canada in over 10 years. Planning trips now to Calgary and Vancouver, and had a couple q's.

What's up with the dense downtowns? Vancouver, for example, has a metro population comparable to a 20-30th rank U.S. metro like Charlotte. Yet its downtown looks like it could be a top 10 US metro. Calgary is comparable to Jacksonville, FL, yet looks like a bigger city.

Are the schools as bad in the cities as they are in the U.S? Do people flee for suburbs, or is it more typical to stay in the city when you have kids?

Does the lower number of large metros limit most young, professional Canadians to Toronto or Vancouver?

Montreal (which I visited many times growing up near Boston), seems to be losing rank and importance relative to Toronto. Is it turning into a cold, Canadian New Orleans? (Party city with French influence and weak local economy)

Thanks in advance for any of your thoughts on this.
This thread seemingly got taken over by irrelevant posts but let me try to pull it back to your original inquiry.

I just visited Vancouver this past June and loved it! In fact, I've been to Canada no less than four times the past year and a half and have seen six different cities. Practically all Canadian cities look and feel denser than most American cities because Canadians seemingly held on successfully to the notion of a thriving downtown. You'll see this in Vancouver as all activity seems to center around a big financial center or shopping center. I've seen the same concept in Toronto and Montreal. Office parks, retail malls, and residences are not as spread out like they are commonly in the US and you'll scarcely see hollowed out downtown cores. I visited, Hamilton, ON and Albany, NY on the same trip, both cities' metro areas are similar in size but Hamilton's downtown was undoubtedly much livelier than Albany's. In fact, Hamilton is often compared to nearby Buffalo, NY as gritty cities but even Hamilton to me was livelier than Buffalo.

People do get priced out of the downtown core in Canadian cities and forced to move to the suburbs, this is happening greatly in Toronto and Vancouver and to a lesser extent in other cities. Your second to last question pretty much gives the hint on why the biggest cities are getting so expensive and it's because more young professionals want to live in such cities if they can.

Lastly, Montreal is not growing as fast as Toronto or Vancouver but it is definitely not dying either. Politics and the French language do present an obstacle to individuals wanting to move there from the US or other parts of Canada but given the increasingly unaffordable Toronto and Vancouver metro areas and the shaky financial situation of Alberta, don't be surprised to see more people moving to Montreal and investing in it in the near future.

I hope you have a fun time in Canada! Be sure to take advantage of the presently good currency exchange rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada