Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 07:36 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times

Advertisements

At home, I stick to the old fashioned Italian coffee made in the macchinetta (I'm Italian). But when I'm at school the only coffee place is Cocobun, Tim's, Starbucks and McDonalds and to me, Starbucks bold has the most flavour compared to the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 08:13 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
FWIW, I almost never buy coffee or anything else at Starbucks. It's a colossal rip off and the quality of the products aren't good. I tend to only drink tea for the most part and I buy it at specialty tea shops like Murchies or Teavana

Old 10-25-2016, 01:40 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
FWIW, I almost never buy coffee or anything else at Starbucks. It's a colossal rip off and the quality of the products aren't good. I tend to only drink tea for the most part and I buy it at specialty tea shops like Murchies or Teavana
Teavana is owned by Starbucks since 2013.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:53 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Even if they haven't warmed to Starbucks (yet), as you say this doesn't mean they don't feel the pull of more plebean delights. The last time I was in Italy it was shocking to see how the drink of choice for groups of young people out for dinner seemed to be Coca-Cola (big 750 ml or 1 L bottles right on the table).

Where I live in Quebec, unless you are in a fast food place like McDo, drinking soft drinks (especially that conspicuously) with your meal is seen as totally passé, uncool and uncouth by young people.
The need to have a soft drink to accompany every meal is indeed puzzling to me (yes I agree it is very uncouth). Every time I eat outside, after ordering, I am asked the same question "drinks?" - which means what soda do you want, as if that's a necessity. Sometimes when I ask for just water to replace a soda for a menu package, they charge more.

I almost never drink any soda - this entire soda/pop culture is weird to me. I have on average 1 soda per month probably, often because there is no other choice. It is not because they are bad for health, I just hate the taste as well as the market-influenced behavior.

It goes without saying the wide popularity of coca-cola is more annoying than Starbucks. Sad thing is it is not about the taste, it is about the cool/Americanization factor, which I think is extremely lame.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:12 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,344,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post

It is shocking that on average, I did eat better food in big Australian cities than American cities....
I'm not sure who the real target here is....

Old 10-25-2016, 09:38 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Teavana is owned by Starbucks since 2013.
Did not know that... maybe have to give Teavana a miss now

Old 10-25-2016, 01:32 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
I don't think hardcore coffee drinkers go to Starbucks...

Starbucks is mostly a place for those milky coffee drinks with funny names and those blended drinks with the whip cream and stuff...

Old 10-26-2016, 09:17 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,995 times
I think Starbucks is obviously a symptom of Americanization, but I also think there are much more variables that fit into it than that:

1) Canadians apparently drink the most amount of coffee of any nationality per capita.

2) Canadians, like Americans, probably drink more drip/filter coffee than any other nationalities. The concept of drip/filter coffees doesn't seem to exist with anywhere near as much ubiquity in the world. Independent cafes, or espresso-based bars are less likely to have this type of coffee. This alone should tell you why coffee preferences here are pretty much tandem with the USA's.

3) Most Canadians live in large cities; Canada's population is extremely urban.

4) Canada, in general, has a small population, not only compared to its size, but in general.

So, all of those factors compounded doesn't really make this outrageous. Also, I drink more drip coffee than espresso coffee because it's half the price. I have very little reason to hang out at some bar for coffee, outside of doing homework or meeting someone, because it would cost as much as stopping somewhere for a beer. It has nothing to do with me being obsessed with the USA.

Also, I have an immense problem with people who are condescending about 'coffee culture'. It's a drink, not a culture. I have preferences for coffee, but I think people who act like Starbucks taste like tar compared to independent coffee shops (as if there's some clandestine standard that prevents these from being anything less than much more terrific) have an axe to grind.

I'd prefer a nice independent bar anyways.

Last edited by Jesse44; 10-26-2016 at 09:30 AM..

Old 10-26-2016, 09:27 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,641 times
I don't particularly care for their coffee and it is overpriced in my opinion.
As a father to two teenagers, it's the trend nowadays.
But if I want a good cup of coffee, I drink it black, I go to McDonald's or Burger King. Just for coffee. Not for the nasty, non nutritional food they serve.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:36 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It goes without saying the wide popularity of coca-cola is more annoying than Starbucks. Sad thing is it is not about the taste, it is about the cool/Americanization factor, which I think is extremely lame.
Maybe this was true at one time, but it definitely isn't reality right now. Nobody with a reasonable amount of education that I know of thinks drinking soda is 'cool', and would avoid doing so in public at the very least. It is very uncouth, even here in weirdo Sudbury. If I think of soda, I think of people hanging out around the liquor store or on the back of a bus drinking from 1L bottles and yelling about their custody problems into a cellphone.

Maybe its an older generation thing.

Younger people will drink soda if it is birch beer or something, and was produced within a 50km radius in small batches and has a design-savvy label. Otherwise, its water, a smoothie, tea, coffee, or liquor when dining out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada