Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 06:41 AM

5 posts, read 22,854 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Currently living in Oshawa and we are considering a move to either London ON or Cambridge ON.

If there is anyone on here that has lived in either area any comments would be great.

My wife works with children so she should be okay at finding employment as I believe that both areas

have a lot of young families living there (or so I have read).

I am self employed so I am okay.

We have no children and no ties.

Our main concerns are.

Crime Rates.

Weather - How much snow.

That's it really.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Nat.

Last edited by Nat2016; 10-25-2016 at 07:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 07:06 PM

577 posts, read 1,474,534 times
Having been living in the Kitchener-Waterloo area, I would say that Cambridge is a better bet: more affordable housing, more job opportunities. Heard less than stellar things about London (bad traffic, bad mayor, less jobs), but never got a chance to see, or live in, London, so my opinion may be biased.

In a comparison against Kitchener and Waterloo, Cambridge is more blue collar and less middle class. That makes the cost of living more affordable. It also looks more beautiful - especially if suburbia is your type of living.

Weather is the same with all 4 towns (they shouldn't be called cities, really) - same Canadian crappy, long, humid winters.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:23 PM

Hi Smihaila

Thanks for your reply and the advice, it is very much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Nat.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:44 PM

984 posts, read 1,313,482 times
You can't really compare the two.

Cambridge is just the most likeable name they could come up with for a city amalgamation. Cambridge came about because they decided to merge 3 smaller cities........Preston, Galt, and Hespler so the city has no real downtown. It is part of Waterloo Region of 520k which itself is an amalgamation of Waterloo, Kitchener. and Cambridge connected by a some freeways. Cambridge is the nicest of the 3 as it has some nice older sections of the different towns as Kitchener and Waterloo are rather non-descript suburban places. In many ways it's urban form is more like Niagara's.........different smaller cities that grew into each other.

London on the other hand is a REAL city of 400,000. It has a solid downtown and far superior shopping, restaurants, entertainment, arts, culture, tons of beautiful parks and greenspace and a far more attractive one as it is an old wealth city with a lot of beautiful neighbourhoods, tons of tree lined streets and gorgeous old homes. It has a solid built form with no gaps unlike KWC. Generally considered one of Canada's nicest and most liveable cities.

Both have similar climates but the job opportunities are better in Cambridge due to it's proximity to the hi-tech centre of Waterloo. London's traffic is indeed horrific due to the city having no urban freeways but that has left the city unscarred by freeways ripping neighbourhoods apart, a more centralized city, and a far more solid urban built form. Cambridge definitely has the advantage of being an hour closer to Toronto which you will need as there is little to do. Both cities are affordable but I would say London is slightly cheaper not being influenced by Toronto and both are growing at a steady rate of about 1% per annum.

If you are more comfortable with suburban living with a fast gateway to Toronto then Cambridge is your choice. If you want a larger more traditional large city with a real urban core, better everything, but a longer distance to Toronto then London by a long shot.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:14 PM

Hi Mooguy

Thanks so much for the information and all the details, It has given me a lot to think about.

I have another question for you.

You mentioned that the climate is the same in both areas, is the snow accumulation the same or does London get a lot more snow ?

Thanks very much.

Nat.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:31 PM

5,889 posts, read 6,088,552 times
I think London gets more lake effect snow, being closer to Lake Huron.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:35 PM

Hi memph

Thanks for the info.

Much appreciated.

Nat.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:28 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I think London gets more lake effect snow, being closer to Lake Huron.
Yes, London is in a snow belt, bulls eye between Huron and Erie.

Over all the London, Ontario climate is not any better than KW or Toronto
even though it's a bit farther south.

Weird, because once you get down to Chatham (and of course Windsor) you're in a different
climate zone, noticeably warmer most days, every month.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:32 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
I have lived in KW and I am very familiar with London. From your criteria and circumstances I have to say that you should consider the Niagara Region. It has KW and London beat HANDS DOWN in all respects.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:41 PM

984 posts, read 1,313,482 times
London is in the snow belt but it's climate can vary depending on where in the city you are.

In northern London, it hinges the snow belt so usually gets a hefty 190 cm a year. However the southern portion of the city nearer to St.Thomas gets a full 70cm LESS snow than the north. It is also a tad milder in the winter. Go further SW from London by 30 minute and you get another 30cm less than that. Chatham has the least amount with 80cm and milder and so the snow doesn't last long at all.

BTW, I happen to like the Niagara region quite a bit. It's very pretty country with some lovely old towns That said, it has far less urban amenities than London and a shopping and restaurant scene that isn't even in London's league. If you want to live in smaller city atmosphere and with the best climate than yes, Niagara is better but if you want to live in a real urban centre that just isn't a bunch of cities that grew into each other than of the 3 London is your only choice. London is also a FAR more attractive city than the other 2 large ones of Kitchener and St.Catherines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada