Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 10:14 AM

6,424 posts, read 4,917,410 times

Advertisements

I am half Canadian and can become a citizen because my dad was a Canadian when I was born. I have chosen not to for a variety of reasons. Cost of housing, cold climate, healthcare and taxes. Canada is a wonderful country with incredible natural beauty. a government that really cares about its people and a more relaxed lifestyle. If it were warmer I would consider it but 6+ months of cold weather is too much for me at this stage of my life. Canada is where I met my wife, had the best wedding anyone could dream of and where I have spent many enjoyable days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 10:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
As 90% of his campaign rhetoric was a relentless bashing of Hillary Clinton i'm wondering what he will now focus on.
All we can do now is sit back and watch him fulfill his campaign promises,bringing the jobs back should be an interesting one.
Also interesting will be who he picks as his staff,
Meet Trump's Cabinet-in-waiting - POLITICO

Old 11-09-2016, 10:28 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Unfortunately Trump isn't in this alone...
His campaign brought out the rot in America like nothing else...
Anyone listening to some of the supporters at his rallies who exhibit unbridled hated, racism, and xenophobia has to take a step back from vehemence being spewed...
Trump sounded so rational in his acceptance speech...but he got what he wanted...
What happens when he doesn't???

He is not a rational man...
he is not even a true Republican...
he just saw the opportunity to take advantage of great dissatisfaction on many levels and in many factions of America and harness that anger toward his election.

He is a great manipulator...people will say the same about Clinton or Obama or any politician but Trump obviously made people believe he is rational enough to be trusted not to blow the world up...

That is a a mass illusion not encountered since Orson Wells's radio broadcast of "The War of the Worlds" caused people to believe Martians were really attacking...
Well said.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:29 AM

747 posts, read 840,018 times
It is a great day here in the United States. Americans finally got it right. The dismantling of Europeanism begins in January 2017. Ba bye Obama. Your destruction is coming to an end.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:32 AM

48 posts, read 46,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I am half Canadian and can become a citizen because my dad was a Canadian when I was born. I have chosen not to for a variety of reasons. Cost of housing, cold climate, healthcare and taxes. Canada is a wonderful country with incredible natural beauty. a government that really cares about its people and a more relaxed lifestyle. If it were warmer I would consider it but 6+ months of cold weather is too much for me at this stage of my life. Canada is where I met my wife, had the best wedding anyone could dream of and where I have spent many enjoyable days.
"I am half Canadian"

Old 11-09-2016, 10:33 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
It is a great day here in the United States. Americans finally got it right. The dismantling of Europeanism begins in January 2017. Ba bye Obama. Your destruction is coming to an end.
I'm thinking you may have missed your intended audience in this thread...

Old 11-09-2016, 10:39 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
I woke up this morning in horror.

If this is the true face of America... I suggest America put on a mask.

The true colours of America....

Racist
Sexist
Ignorant
Bully

I thought the country was making progress in these areas???

If this is the true face of America ... wow. Absolutely disgusting. This is the garbage the world was trying to get rid of ... now this cancer is bubbling up at our back door. I think Canada needs to start working on creating a wall! A really really really big wall.

Back to make sure people 100% know I am Canadian and not American again when travelling ( I got a 8 year break from that while Obama was in charge).

I equate this to the idea of Rob Ford getting elected to be the Prime Minister of Canada. This is just so bad ... it is not funny.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:49 AM

48 posts, read 46,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I woke up this morning in horror.

If this is the true face of America... I suggest America put on a mask.

The true colours of America....

Racist
Sexist
Ignorant
Bully

I thought the country was making progress in these areas???

If this is the true face of America ... wow. Absolutely disgusting. This is the garbage the world was trying to get rid of ... now this cancer is bubbling up at our back door. I think Canada needs to start working on creating a wall! A really really really big wall.

Back to make sure people 100% know I am Canadian and not American again when travelling ( I got a 8 year break from that while Obama was in charge).

I equate this to the idea of Rob Ford getting elected to be the Prime Minister of Canada. This is just so bad ... it is not funny.
The United States was always a heavily conservative country. This does not surprise me that much in the least. What, did you think they were getting more "progressive"? Nope.

I am sorry but they are simply not as much like Canada as a lot of Canadians previously believed. They are actually very different. I don't blame or shame them for it, it is what it is.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:57 AM

295 posts, read 264,047 times
It is so funny to read the comments of disappointed leftist "liberals"... Indeed, they are very "liberal", supporting democratic elections (only when "left" wins) and freedom of speech (when it does not contradict their opinion). Otherwise it is always "Racist, Sexist, Ignorant, Bully". Sorry, but it is the government of your beloved PM Trudeau which is clearly sexist and racist (he employed ministers not by their merits and qualities, but by their sex and race - just look how it is 50% men and 50% women).

Americans are tired of "regressive left" and hence have voted out Hillary together with Obama legacy (and what is his legacy exactly - bloody wars in the middle east?). I really hope Canadians will do the same, the sooner the better.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:00 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

....... Plus Canadians should not feel so proud of Americans saying they are fleeing the country to Canada. Honestly anyone who thinks it's just that easy to hop across that "imaginary" line is not exactly all that intelligent and isn't the type of human Capital you want to be attracting.
I liked all the rest of your post but want to comment on the above, specifically the first sentence because I think it's a very wrong assumption for you to make about Canadians and a reprimand to them that is uncalled for.

Except for occasional trolls mouthing off, nowhere here on this forum or anywhere online or in the media will you find sincere Canadians saying they're proud of Americans saying they are fleeing the USA to come to Canada. Canada doesn't want to be considered just any old convenient port in a storm to American runaways and you won't find any Canadians on this forum to have been encouraging Americans to come to Canada. Some Americans have asked how easy it would be to come to Canada and Canadians have been honest in informing them how difficult it really is and in directing them to proper resources to determine their qualifications and eligibility. That is all. Nobody here has said "Come to Canada" and nobody wants some other country's resentful runaways.

I totally agree with you that anyone who thinks it's easy to just hop across the border and take advantage of Canada as an easy port in the storm is not intelligent and not the type of immigrant that Canada wants. That's part of the reason why Canadians have been discouraging Americans in a pique like that who have been thinking about it and threatening to run away from their home.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada