Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 05:16 PM

5,029 posts, read 5,698,354 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if the land borders might be open to visitors from the US by June? Wife and I already received first dose and will be fully vaccinated by the next couple weeks. I believe it is fully closed to non-essential travel at least for now, but I’m curious as to if you think that might change.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 08:35 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,540,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Just wondering if the land borders might be open to visitors from the US by June? Wife and I already received first dose and will be fully vaccinated by the next couple weeks. I believe it is fully closed to non-essential travel at least for now, but I’m curious as to if you think that might change.

Thanks in advance!
Unsure. The US hasn't been allowing any exports of COVID vaccines and has a large percentage of the world's vaccine manufacturing capacity, so we've had to rely on what we can get from Europe and India, who are mulling following the US lead and cutting us off too. There are no fully vaccinated people in my province yet, we've extended the time between doses to 4 months to try and stretch our strained supplies. Will we open the borders in June? I wouldn't say no way, but I think there's a decent chance it doesn't open until July or August.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:44 PM

705 posts, read 509,907 times
I really hope your right about opening the border. I want to go see my relatives and dads grave.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:58 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,095,468 times
I think it wouldn't be until September at the very earliest but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen until some time in 2022. Canada is now experiencing a 3rd wave including it hitting many children and younger people in their 30's and 40's. It's mostly from numerous variants of the virus now, and as Bimbam explained above there is a shortage of vaccines and it's threatening to get shorter.

Old 03-26-2021, 04:56 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,540,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think it wouldn't be until September at the very earliest but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen until some time in 2022. Canada is now experiencing a 3rd wave including it hitting many children and younger people in their 30's and 40's. It's mostly from numerous variants of the virus now, and as Bimbam explained above there is a shortage of vaccines and it's threatening to get shorter.

In the short term it is threatening to get shorter, but once the Americans have vaccinated themselves I expect the drug companies will be allowed to fill their orders and we'll have a ton, so I figured September would be too pessimistic a guess, but this is the government afterall so maybe.

Old 03-26-2021, 07:04 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,427,532 times
Here in MB we are still vaccinating people in their 60s for their first shot and appointments have been backed up so much the government has stopped accepting new ones for now. Meanwhile I know people in the US in their 30s that have recieved both vaccines. It is almost april and we are so far behind the rest of the developed world, I doubt we will get there by september. Mid 2022 seems more realistic. This third wave with the new variant is going to be a disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
There are no fully vaccinated people in my province yet, we've extended the time between doses to 4 months to try and stretch our strained supplies. .

Terrible.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:39 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,288,290 times
I wanted to originally go up Labor/Labour Day weekend but now am resetting things for likely a year out.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:16 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,585,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I wanted to originally go up Labor/Labour Day weekend but now am resetting things for likely a year out.
are you not a citizen? Surely you have the right to cross the border?

Old 03-26-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
are you not a citizen? Surely you have the right to cross the border?
Not if he doesn't live in Canada and doesn't have an essential reason to cross the border.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Here in MB we are still vaccinating people in their 60s for their first shot and appointments have been backed up so much the government has stopped accepting new ones for now. ......
Well I'm glad to hear you're down to people in their 60's there. Here we are only down to the 75's or older for 1st shots and the 80's and older (plus essential front line workers of course) for 2nd shots.

Here new cases are spiking again and nearly all new cases occurring now are of the new variants (at least 4 variants in BC at this point) and effecting mostly young adults this time round.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings and at the rate we're going I don't expect the fat lady to be singing before this time next year. I don't think it's a good idea for people from anywhere to be thinking about coming to Canada for visits until then.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada