Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 10:39 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,178,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I stayed a week in Saint John, NB two months ago and found prices for everything to be reasonable, some things were even cheaper on account of the USD/CAD exchange rate. I'd recommend a weeklong visit to see the Bay of Fundy because there are so many different things to do there and New Brunswick is definitely quieter than many of the other provinces. PEI and Nova Scotia aren't that far off too. As I mentioned in another thread, if you like the New England scene outside of Greater Boston, especially coastal Maine, Cape Cod, or parts of New Hampshire, you'll probably like New Brunswick and the Fundy Coast.
Thanks for sharing. What was your housing situation? Where did you find it?

This goes for everyone else too...I appreciate all the comments! Any suggestions for weeklong (or longer) housing options at the places you recommended? I haven't looked into all the towns mentioned thus far, but generally speaking whenever I get recommendations for good smaller towns in the US (particularly for good summer spots during the summer) the hotels and vacation rentals sites are all quite pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 06:59 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,781,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Thanks for sharing. What was your housing situation? Where did you find it?

This goes for everyone else too...I appreciate all the comments! Any suggestions for weeklong (or longer) housing options at the places you recommended? I haven't looked into all the towns mentioned thus far, but generally speaking whenever I get recommendations for good smaller towns in the US (particularly for good summer spots during the summer) the hotels and vacation rentals sites are all quite pricey.

Oh, I just stayed at a modest hotel for the week, nothing fancy. It was called the Chateau, St. John if you were wondering. The parent company also owns 2-3 other properties including the Chateau, Moncton, which we passed by. I just used Google Maps and narrowed down to the best hotel for its price with a convenient location, free parking and free breakfast. Are you interested in chain hotels or rentals? I have never vacationed anywhere for more than a week unless I was staying with relatives so I don't know the situation regarding longer stays.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:34 PM

2,237 posts, read 1,342,112 times
With the current exchange rates in mind, vacation destinations in Japan and Taiwan are good deals.
One has to book at least six months in advance for a Summer cabin, such as Bodega Cove, Galiano Island, BC.
https://www.bodegaridge.com/cabin-confirmation

Old 08-16-2022, 05:42 PM

183 posts, read 122,508 times
You can easily do a quick and inexpensive trip around the Maritimes. See Halifax, Cape Breton, the Bay of Fundy and the Acadian Peninsula, and PEI from end to end within about 10 days. If Halifax and Moncton are your home bases then the rest of the area is just day trips. And Halifax is still underrated as a destination, IMO. Lots to see and do!

Old 08-16-2022, 06:05 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,901,654 times
If Halifax is part of the itinerary (which is a gem of a city - great bars lol), I highly recommend the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic

https://maritimemuseum.novascotia.ca/

They have a sizable display on the Titanic with actual artifacts from the wreckage. In addition to a great display on the Halifax Explosion, which was the largest explosion caused by man in history up to that point. Both displays did a remarkable job of conveying the human tragedy of these events including personal stories and personal artefacts. It was a thoroughly knowledgeable yet emotional experience not to be missed.

Old 08-16-2022, 07:43 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,781,225 times
I forgot to mention Campobello Island and the Roosevelt Campobello International Park, which I visited on the last day of my trip in June, for a day trip. While part of New Brunswick, Campobello is cut off from the rest of the province and from the rest of Canada for that matter by either water or the United States. Roosevelt Campobello International Park, which was formerly Franklin Roosevelt's summer home, is a truly unique destination on the island because it is where you'll find Canadian nationals telling about American history, i.e. the life and times of the 32nd US President and his idyllic days staying at the summer home until he was struck by polio in 1921 at the age of 39. Back over the US side, don't miss West Quoddy Head, the easternmost point in the US.

Old 08-20-2022, 03:45 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,178,476 times
Thanks again everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada