Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 05:25 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
What I've been saying for so long: Is Canada a truly independent country, and a democracy? Maybe it's time to end the feudalism...
We are all aware of what such as yourself would be saying about Canada, but this is what other far more relevant sources are saying:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...racy-countries
Canada = Full - USA = Flawed

https://www.democracymatrix.com/ranking
Canada = a working democracy - USA = a deficient democracy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 09:10 PM

183 posts, read 121,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
We are all aware of what such as yourself would be saying about Canada, but this is what other far more relevant sources are saying:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...racy-countries
Canada = Full - USA = Flawed

https://www.democracymatrix.com/ranking
Canada = a working democracy - USA = a deficient democracy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index
The University of Wurzberg matrix seems to come from a reasonable source, but we'd have to do a deep dive into the methodology to see if it even makes sense.

The world population review link looks like a joke website built in 1996. Who runs it? Why should anyone pay attention to it?

Wikipedia, hm.

Old 09-13-2022, 01:23 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Quote:
What I've been saying for so long: Is Canada a truly independent country, and a democracy? Maybe it's time to end the feudalism...
You are off topic - but yes, Canada is a truly independent democracy. I think maybe your question is one you should be addressing to your own country instead because unfortunately it appears to be having worse problems with declining independence and democracy. I think your time would be better spent focusing on your own home-grown problems that are getting out of hand.

Old 09-13-2022, 06:36 AM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I said the GG has certain powers, but becoming Parliament, isn't one of them.

You said

"Runaway inflation and unemployment was not addressed which the country fixated on the scandal. I'll leave Clinton and Trump to one side as those circuses did far less damage. But arguably the ability of a monarch or vice-regal authority, a GG to quickly resolve these issues has real value. Neither Parliament nor Congress is always in session or available, even if functional.."

The GG or our Monarch, can not resolve inflation or unemployment issues when parliament isn't in session, or even when it is. That isn't their purpose. They don't have the power to create laws or policy.
Maybe I typed too fast. I meant the ability to replace the operating head of state. Congress isn't in session 365 days a year, and without a functioning President there are serious problems.

Old 09-13-2022, 07:27 AM

577 posts, read 1,475,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You are off topic - but yes, Canada is a truly independent democracy. I think maybe your question is one you should be addressing to your own country instead because unfortunately it appears to be having worse problems with declining independence and democracy. I think your time would be better spent focusing on your own home-grown problems that are getting out of hand.

My country is Canada, and another European country. Not USA. Please don't make wrong assumptions.
I've only highlighted what you yourself have already stated - who is the Canada's Head of State, that's all.

Old 09-13-2022, 07:28 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Very true.

I like to think that having one more safety valve in place reduces the "personal character" risk significantly due to that GG personage having the respect of office to engage directly with the media and thereby the citizens were some event to occur that was the direct result of an individual Prime Minister's going off the rails.

We can look at the recent enactment of the Emergency Measures act as a litmus test to some degree but, we must also realize it was done after much hand wringing by a Provincial Premiere demanding action to bail him out of a situation he sat back and watched as it transpired without exerting any pressure on a police force he had full authority over. We must also consider the fact the "house" while not in consensus, were quite happy to let Trudeau sail into stormy waters. The GG in this instance took her cues from the entire parliament's leanings.

It is somewhat interesting that in the two most serious occasions of an extremely controversial parliamentary act being employed in the face of major public unrest; both of them had the signature of a Trudeau attached to them.
I wasn't a convoy supporter at all, but I'd stop short of calling it "major public unrest".

And the FLQ crisis was domestic terrorism, more than public unrest.

Old 09-13-2022, 07:34 AM

577 posts, read 1,475,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Innwjat way is Canada nt a democracy?
Answer: Because it doesn't look like the power truly belongs to the people and voters. But some of the central decisions are made in secrecy, via something called "The Privy Council", listening to orders coming from the royal house.

Quote:
In what way does Canada have feudalism?
Because it is dependent on a royal house, and whose powers are considered not by merit, nor by vote.

Quote:
In what way is Canada not truly independent?
Does Canada have a President? Why do we have a prime minister, and members of Parliament who have to swear allegiance to another, foreign country?

But I digress. I don't wish to continue arguing on this subject.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:25 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Quote:
My country is Canada, and another European country. Not USA. Please don't make wrong assumptions.
I've only highlighted what you yourself have already stated - who is the Canada's Head of State, that's all.
Okie dokie, but your home is in Colorado so I think that was a reasonable assumption that since your home is there then it's your country.

Yes, I did already say who Canada's head of state is in the post that you were responding to, but I'll answer again. It is Charles III, citizen and monarch of Canada.

Quote:
.........Does Canada have a President? Why do we have a prime minister, and members of Parliament who have to swear allegiance to another, foreign country?
No legal citizen in Canada today swears allegiance to any foreign country, otherwise they would be committing the act of treason. I don't know of any country in the world where any of the citizens have to swear allegiance to a foreign country unless perhaps their country has been taken by war and conquest by another country.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:43 AM

Endnote number1
Constitutionally, the Queen's Privy Council for Canada is the advisory body to the Sovereign, and Privy Councillors remain members of the Privy Council for life. In practice, however, the full Privy Council only meets on rare occasions. Only those Privy Councillors currently holding ministerial office operating as the Committee of Council, i.e., the Cabinet act as advisers to the Governor General in the constitutional meaning of the term.

Endnote 2
An extended discussion of the foundation of responsible government in Canada is provided in a companion publication, Responsibility in the Constitution (Ottawa: Privy Council Office, 1993).

Endnote 3
A Minute of Council first issued in 1896 and last re-issued in 1935 enumerates some of the Prime Minister's prerogatives, including calling meetings of the Cabinet, recommending the convocation and summoning of Parliament, recommending the appointments of privy councillors, lieutenant governors, chief justices, senators, and other senior office-holders, and making recommendations in any department. This minute recognizes the Prime Minister's prerogatives, but does not confer them.

Endnote 4
The Prime Minister has overall responsibility for the portfolio of the Privy Council. This includes the Prime Minister's Office, the Privy Council Office, and offices of the Deputy Prime Minister, the President of the Privy Council and Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, the Leader of the Government in the House of Commons, and the Leader of the Government in the Senate. Other quite separate organizations such as Commissions of Inquiry also appear within the "Privy Council" program in the Estimates because the responsible Minister is the Prime Minister or a Minister in the portfolio. The Prime Minister and other Ministers in the portfolio are also the Ministers responsible for several other organizations (e.g. the Canadian Centre for Management Development, the Public Service Staff Relations Board).

Endnote 5
R.G. Robertson, "The Changing Role of the Privy Council Office," a paper presented to the 23rd Annual Meeting of the Institute of Public Administration of Canada on September 8, 1971 and published in Canadian Public Administration, XIV, 4, 1971, p. 506.

Endnote 6
Although the usual Canadian practice has been to include all Ministers in the Cabinet, this is not constitutionally necessary. It is not the case in the United Kingdom or Australia, and there have been (rare) exceptions in Canada in the past. The positions of Secretaries of State were created by Prime Minister Chrétien in 1993 to assist Ministers. Although part of the Ministry, Secretaries of State are not Cabinet Ministers, and do not regularly attend Cabinet meetings.

Endnote 7
The Governor in Council (GiC) is the Governor General acting on the advice of the Committee of Council. Orders and Minutes of Council are signed by the Governor General and thus give legal force to Cabinet decisions taken pursuant to a statutory authority or (less frequently) the royal prerogative.

Endnote 8
For example, the Minister of Finance in economic and fiscal policy; the President of the Treasury Board in expenditure and public service management; the Minister of Foreign Affairs in foreign policy; and the Minister of Justice in constitutional and legal matters. Such Ministers and their departments play an important role in supporting the Prime Minister in forging consensus among Ministers.

Last edited by BruSan; 09-13-2022 at 10:01 AM..

Old 09-13-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Answer: Because it doesn't look like the power truly belongs to the people and voters. But some of the central decisions are made in secrecy, via something called "The Privy Council", listening to orders coming from the royal house.

But I digress. I don't wish to continue arguing on this subject.
Then don't introduce those subjects in the first place - easy peazy!

For your edification about the role of the Privy Council:

https://www.canada.ca/en/privy-counc...ibilities.html

When reading that, you should glean that the Privy Council does NOT take orders from the Royal house and it serves under the full discretionary power of the Prime Minister of Canada. Their function is to advise and co-ordinate.

"In brief, the primary responsibility of the PCO is to provide public service support to the Prime Minister, to Ministers within the Prime Minister's portfolio, and to the Cabinet in order to facilitate the smooth and effective operation of the Government of Canada."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada