Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2023, 07:45 AM

3,450 posts, read 2,777,182 times

Advertisements

Montreal just hired its first visible minority police chief, a Lebanese immigrant. Was Celine Dion’s husband Rene Angelil considered a visible minority? Or Paul Anka?

Last edited by Suesbal; 01-20-2023 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 08:16 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
It's a weird definition and probably outdated.

Fady Dagher doesn't look much diffferent from or darker than many Québécois French Canadian men.

As for René Angélil, I guess technically he was a visible minority but no one thought of him as such.

At least not anymore than the average American would think that of Casey Kasem, for example.

Old 01-20-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's a weird definition and probably outdated.

Fady Dagher doesn't look much diffferent from or darker than many Québécois French Canadian men.

As for René Angélil, I guess technically he was a visible minority but no one thought of him as such.

At least not anymore than the average American would think that of Casey Kasem, for example.
Is Dagher a Muslim? That could make the difference.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:36 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Fady Dagher is definitely Christian.

Old 01-20-2023, 06:36 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
Many Lebanese that emigrated during and after the civil war were Christian Lebanese who were already quite assimilated to European and Western influences before they emigrated. I suppose you can try to determine their identity based on their names but even that is not always easy. I had a Lebanese classmate throughout high school and we all thought he was Italian because he had the Mediterranean look despite him constantly reminding us he was Lebanese. Similarly, during my second visit to St. Joseph's Oratory in Montreal, the guide who helped us navigate the edifice spoke fluent English but when my father asked what she was (he tends to be nosy about this but in a friendly way ), she replied "Lebanese". We would not have known had she not told us, we would have guessed Mediterranean French or Italian.

Old 01-20-2023, 09:35 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
It shouldn't make any difference. In Canada you can't always tell what a person's religion, race or ethnicity is just by looking at them.

Old 02-01-2023, 06:35 PM

817 posts, read 626,876 times
Levantines are typically lighter skinned than their Arab neighbors, often resembling Italians or Greeks. It's important to note that "visible minority" basically is a more PC way of saying 'Non-White European". But this gets more complicated as all Europeans do not look similar either, your average Southern Italian may feel more kinship with a fellow east mediterranean Lebanese than with a noridc swede, for example.

It just proves that the whole idea of clustering humans into groups like "visible minoirty", "white", "black", "brown" , 'non-white' is all nonsense. We should use actual science to determine human subgroups, not some arbitrary feelings or labels. We know from forensic science for example, that you can tell who is from Africa or who is from Asia, so these two human groups are distinguishable. Lebanese/Syrians being considered a "visible minority" in a country where the majority are from the same continent as they are? Seems rather odd and not based on any science.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:02 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Levantines are typically lighter skinned than their Arab neighbors, often resembling Italians or Greeks. It's important to note that "visible minority" basically is a more PC way of saying 'Non-White European". But this gets more complicated as all Europeans do not look similar either, your average Southern Italian may feel more kinship with a fellow east mediterranean Lebanese than with a noridc swede, for example.

It just proves that the whole idea of clustering humans into groups like "visible minoirty", "white", "black", "brown" , 'non-white' is all nonsense. We should use actual science to determine human subgroups, not some arbitrary feelings or labels. We know from forensic science for example, that you can tell who is from Africa or who is from Asia, so these two human groups are distinguishable. Lebanese/Syrians being considered a "visible minority" in a country where the majority are from the same continent as they are? Seems rather odd and not based on any science.
Great points all around! cultural, linguistic and ethnic diversity to me is more useful than racial diversity which tells us not too much other than general skin colour tones.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:17 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
I am told the Maronite Christians of Lebanon are descendants of French Crusaders and those that settled the Outremer during that era, and have more or less tried to maintain as much contact possible with Christendom during the centuries between then and now.

I am probably wrong but whatever.

Old 02-02-2023, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I am told the Maronite Christians of Lebanon are descendants of French Crusaders and those that settled the Outremer during that era, and have more or less tried to maintain as much contact possible with Christendom during the centuries between then and now.

I am probably wrong but whatever.
The Maronites were around long before the Crusades.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maron
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada