Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 11:15 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,341,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Canadien horse originated in the 1600s during the time of New France. Over the centuries it has almost died out a couple of times. The breed was revitalized fairly recently. Maybe 20 years ago? Or maybe it was 30-40 years ago.

Factoid: one of the near-extinction events of the Canadien horse took place around the time of the US Civil War, when many thousands (maybe most) of them were sent south to serve as mounts for soldiers.
Acajack! I'm so impressed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2023, 12:20 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,077,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
By what? The resiliency of this breed of horses?

Old 02-07-2023, 01:12 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,070,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I thought the symbol of Canada is the bear.
Two different species of bears are provincial or territorial symbols of Canada but they aren't national symbols. An official provincial bear symbol is the Spirit bear of British Columbia and the non-official bear symbol is the Polar Bear of all the arctic coastal regions, which is or has been seen on Canadian coins just like several other animals seen on Canadian coins.

Here is a list with a few pictures of Canada's national symbols:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...bols_of_Canada

Here is a list of all Canadian provincial and territorial symbols:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...torial_symbols

Old 02-07-2023, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
They are impressive horses that have had quite an influence on other horse breeds in the western hemisphere. As you're a known lover of horses I'm guessing you'll be impressed with this too about the Canadian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_horse

Old 02-07-2023, 05:03 PM

88,649 posts, read 84,928,808 times
I learned something new today.

Did not know about the horses.

Old 02-07-2023, 06:54 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,781,225 times
I know that the bald eagle is America's national symbol but Canada might as well lay claim to it as well because many bald eagles dwell north of the border. Oh yeah, and the loon too.

Old 02-07-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I know that the bald eagle is America's national symbol but Canada might as well lay claim to it as well because many bald eagles dwell north of the border. Oh yeah, and the loon too.
Yup. Many, many, many bald eagles on the west coast. Want to guess how Canada's $1 coin got the name "Loonie"?

Old 02-07-2023, 07:27 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,781,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yup. Many, many, many bald eagles on the west coast. Want to guess how Canada's $1 coin got the name "Loonie"?

Well, the reason could not have been that Canada's full of crazies who drunkenly dance stark naked in the moonlight but pray tell. I know that the $1 coin has the loon on the reverse, which is likely why it is called the Loonie but why is the loon so special as to appear on the $1 coin? Why wasn't it the Canadian beaver as the national symbol that made it onto that coin upon which we could call it a "Beavie".

Old 02-07-2023, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Well, the reason could not have been that Canada's full of crazies who drunkenly dance stark naked in the moonlight but pray tell. I know that the $1 coin has the loon on the reverse, which is likely why it is called the Loonie but why is the loon so special as to appear on the $1 coin? Why wasn't it the Canadian beaver as the national symbol that made it onto that coin upon which we could call it a "Beavie".
In Canada the loon is a very special, important and much loved bird that represents the wild spirit of Canada and it also figures very prominently in indigenous historical lore and art. There is so much to say about the loon, too much for me to post anyway, so I'll just post this for you:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=what+...client=gws-wiz

The beaver has already had a coin of its own since 1937, long before either the loonies (loon) or the toonies (polar bear) came into existence. The symbol of Canada's beloved beaver is also shown on several other national and provincial emblems ..... beaver isn't a greedy hog, he's industrious, humble and generous, he doesn't mind any of his Canadian cousins getting plenty of credit of their own.

Old 02-07-2023, 10:23 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,341,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
By what? The resiliency of this breed of horses?
That you know anything about horses! Doesn't go with my mental image!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada