Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 10:54 AM

2,973 posts, read 3,536,967 times

Advertisements

I'm a Native Texan and wanted to see ABOOT visiting Canadia (as described by the spokesperson for the wonderful regime in the USA). I was curious how well your average Canadian enjoys having tourists from the USA EH? I do love Canadia for the many great musical acts that have come from your country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 10:56 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,341,316 times
We're good with it

Old 02-15-2023, 11:22 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,070,958 times
Come on up for a visit. Bring tons of money.

Old 02-15-2023, 11:28 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,580,451 times
For your travel plans.

Canadia
The secret state between Narnia and Canada. To get there, you must stand in an old cupboard and say sorry three times and then eat Maple Syrup and Turkish Delight and you will get teleported there.
Guy: “Hey what’s Joey doing in the cupboard with my Maple Syrup and Turkish Delight?”
Girl: “He’s trying to go to Canadia”

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Canadia

Old 02-15-2023, 11:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,610 posts, read 81,316,164 times
Pre-Covid we would drive up to Vancouver B.C. 3-4 times a year, and always grab some Timbits on the way home. We found that there are some stores that don't accept US currency, so we have at times had to stop at a bank like RBC to get some cash converted. We also like to go to Costco there since they have some different products, and everything is labeled in English and French.

Old 02-15-2023, 12:16 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
In all the times I have come up here, it never occurred to me to try to use American money. If you have an American TD bank account, you can use your atm card at TD banks here, but in 2021 they started whacking us with a 3% foreign transaction fee.

I mostly just use a credit card that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee.

To answer the Texan's question, most people have been very nice. Got a few idiotic "do you have a gun yulk yulk yulk" remarks, including from a dentist, but then again, being from Texas, your reaction to that might be different from mine!

At any rate, I was able to come in under an exemption during the border closure, and I did worry a bit about driving around with my Jersey plates in the rural area where I was staying, but I had no trouble. They're nice here. Weirdly nice.

Old 02-15-2023, 12:26 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,580,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In all the times I have come up here, it never occurred to me to try to use American money. If you have an American TD bank account, you can use your atm card at TD banks here, but in 2021 they started whacking us with a 3% foreign transaction fee.

Many do though.

Especially day trippers here in Vancouver.

Most are gracious when a store says they don't take USD.

Some get riled up. Some get ever more riled up if a place does take USD ( at exchange rate favourable to the shop ) but gives them back change in CAD. They want change is US, which of course shops don't carry.

Old 02-15-2023, 02:11 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Many do though.

Especially day trippers here in Vancouver.

Most are gracious when a store says they don't take USD.

Some get riled up. Some get ever more riled up if a place does take USD ( at exchange rate favourable to the shop ) but gives them back change in CAD. They want change is US, which of course shops don't carry.
The only time I ALMOST paid in USD was when I had just crossed over at the Thousand Islands and then stopped at the first ONRoute (rest stop) on the 401. I bought some water and snacks for the rest of the ride, and without thinking I pulled out a $20 bill US. The woman said "OK, let me see if I can figure this out" and started entering numbers into a calculator and I realized what I had done. I said, "Wait, no, I have Canadian money, I just came in to the country and forgot!" and pulled out the appropriate currency.

The Bahamas is the only place I've ever been where they take American money dollar for dollar. You'll even get a mix of Bahamian and American 20s from an ATM.

Old 02-15-2023, 02:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,610 posts, read 81,316,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

To answer the Texan's question, most people have been very nice. Got a few idiotic "do you have a gun yulk yulk yulk" remarks, including from a dentist, but then again, being from Texas, your reaction to that might be different from mine!

At any rate, I was able to come in under an exemption during the border closure, and I did worry a bit about driving around with my Jersey plates in the rural area where I was staying, but I had no trouble. They're nice here. Weirdly nice.
I remember years ago, maybe 2012 when Canada had the chip in debit cards and we didn't in the USA yet for several more years. They wouldn't accept them, even at gas pumps.

Old 02-15-2023, 07:07 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,781,225 times
The one and only time I spent $USD was last year at the Roosevelt Campobello International Park on Campobello Island, NB. I purchased a postcard for $0.65 CAD, asked the cashier if they took American, and happily handed her a John Fitzgerald Kennedy half dollar (American 50 cent piece for Canadians who don't know what a "half dollar" is - they're rarely spent nowadays even here in the US). I have fun collecting and occasionally spending so called "funny money" both here in the US and in Canada so I don't find it a hassle or pain at all to exchange money at a bank, even during short visits. In fact, unless I encounter really unwelcoming tellers, I find visiting Canadian banks a joy. From experience, Scotiabank seems to have the best exchange rates out of the big four and they do not charge transaction fees either. I've collected Canadian penny rolls, 50 cent pieces, Silver dollar coins (both Voyageur and 1982 Constitutional) and unique quarters including specimen from the 2017 150th Canadian anniversary from banks. That and the current Loonies and Toonies and those polymer Canadian banknotes are such fun to handle. Canadian currency beats any other tacky trinkets as souvenirs to keep any day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada